The Dark Mod Forums

Guard/bystander Al alertness issue

mcmike1489

How do I adjust the Al alertness for the guards and bystanders to not see or hear me at far distances? Yes, even with the settings in the game options menu that I can change the alertness settings, it doesn't quite work well. The alertness is still too high and sensitive and I can't even get close enough to either knock out or instant kill any guard or bystander without alerting them. I want to play the game with a Thief Gold and Thief 2 classic feel to it. Is there a game file in the Dark Mod folder I can edit? Please help, thanks!

Edited by mcmike1489
  • Like 1

Try to sneak and use the shadows. Approach your victims from behind. Play the tutorial mission.

If you set AI vision and hearing to lowest, it should be a boringly easy experience (maybe even easier than the old Thiefs). But sneaking in front of a guard while beeing well lit will still not work.

Yeah, even in the shadows at times, the guards have like super human vision and hearing, but like you said, setting the lowest Al settings through the game options menu can help. So there is no game file to edit in your "Dark Mod" folder. Of course, if you attack a guard in front of him, he will retaliate and will be difficult to defeat him. Have to remember the guards here are similar to the guards in Thief: Deadly Shadows. But I still find this game more challenging than the 3rd Thief game since the guards here are more alert and vigilant.

You can turn down how effective guards are in a fight as well if you want.

It's under Difficulty settings. You can also change lockpicking to be like T1/2.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you set AI vision and hearing to lowest, it should be a boringly easy experience (maybe even easier than the old Thiefs).

The old Thief's were actually considered very difficult games, back in the days. TDM with default settings, and some of the harder missions is more like ultra hardcore massacre difficult. Bit of a shame for the peeps getting into the game.

To make any game in general fun to play is to have some sort of challenge to figure out how to solve puzzles and take down enemies at the right time without them seeing you. Otherwise, it's no fun playing the game with unlimited health and easy ways to kill enemies with just one shot. Although this game is more challenging even with adjusting the difficulty settings.