The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod celebrating it's 10th anniversary next year in 2019!

mcmike1489

I have a suggestion I like to mention, since the Dark Mod is turning 10 next year, 2009-2019 We can celebrate the game's 10th anniversary with a special fan mission like no other. I don't have any ideas of what I want to create in Dark Radiant, but if anyone has an idea of what can the mission be and look like to make it a great one to celebrate this big milestone!

• Like 1

I like what Judith is suggesting - a call to action. It's a nice subtle difference.

Perhaps the maps could have some sort of "Anniversary" theme to connect them?

Or... and this might be a bit of a stretch but what if we had a special "Anniversary" asset that everyone could then use in their map? Off the top of my head, how about something like a spectacular fire breathing dragon? I've always wanted to see a Hobbit inspired map... After all Bilbo was an excellent little burglar.

A ten year anniversary is a hell of an accomplishment so why not go for it.

Besides the fact that coordinating a cooperative map, the result would probably not be that good due to the different mapping styles. Too many cooks etc... I like the idea of an call to action. People could be asked to create something for the anniversary that doesn't neccessarely has to be a mission. Some nice little assets or some concept art or trailers, short stories. There are tons of possibilities.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

What is the exact anniversary date?

17th Octobre 2009 regarding the news on the TDM Page.

And 3th Octobre 2012 was when we went Standalone. 5 years :)

And collect the objects for the anniversary in a separate software package and put it online.

Like an anniversary version of the tdm standalone package on moddb.

This could be then turned into the kind of city hub people are often asking for :)! But I guess this would be probably impossible to coordinate...

Besides the fact that coordinating a cooperative map, the result would probably not be that good due to the different mapping styles. Too many cooks etc...

I prosume that your city doesnt have the same style of buildings.

But its possible. Everyone make a part of a street, then copy and paste in one map and the main builder checks it all.

A nice example what they did in the credits level of operation napali:

(skip to 2:51)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

This is what I've meant. The pieces don't fit together (artistically) and there is no play value. Some may consider it funny, but considering the amount of work needed (that is presumeable higher in TDM due to the higher graphical standards) it seems pretty pointless.

• Like 1

Sounds great everyone, I totally agree! There are so many options to explore and see what we can do to make it great, this game would not exist without the Thief franchise or the community, I thank the creators and developers for making such a very addicting and fun immersive experience for the 1st 10 years that this game has come to this day, it's only getting better every now and then. Possibly, what if a sequel is up in the horizon for a Dark Mod 2 for the foreseeable future! Imagine this game coming out for video game consoles such as the PS4 and Xbox One with realistic graphics and gameplay.

Edited by mcmike1489

Past experience has shown several times that large collaborative team-based mapping projects are difficult to pull off.

• The MAP format doesn't lend itself to collaborative editing. Unlike code, which can be merged, a MAP needs to be loaded and saved in a single DR session, which means that if two people work on it simultaneously it is extremely difficult to integrate both sets of changes.
  • Mapping, like most creative endeavours, is a very personal choice. It is possible for two or three people with similar goals to collaborate on a map, but once you have a whole committee pulling in different directions and trying to add their two cents to everything, it becomes chaotic. On the occasions when this has been attempted, at least one person has ended up walking away in disgust at the whole process.

That doesn't mean that collaboration should never happen, but the approach of having loads of people make parts of a map and then try to copy-paste them altogether is probably the worst way of doing it. It is better if people have distinct responsibilities, e.g. a mapper, modeller and texture artist work together in a pipeline process, or a campaign is made by several authors each working on a single map.

• Like 3

The MAP format doesn't lend itself to collaborative editing.

I guess you could synchronize your map and resources folders through Dropbox, but that would require some care in order not to overwrite sb else's work. At least mapper and modeler could work like that, since their scope doesn't overlap (level design vs. models, textures, and materials).

Er Behind Closed Doors....

Even that was created by a few persons mainly. And if you consider how much time went into it compared to its size ...

I wouldn't say that an effective collaborate work is not possible when creating TDM missions, but it requires a well thought off work scheme, considering a strict ruleset of what needs to be done by whom and how exactly it should be done. Tasks need to be split and time frames need to be taken care of.

The on/off work scheme, where only one person is actively working at the mission at a time while everyone else participating have to wait until the mission gets unlocked, that is the current way of how collaborations are done, is extremely ineffective. The outcome if all those persons would work on their own missions would probably be higher.

• Like 2

If we are still talking about a hub map or similar, I can only imagine that one mapper could make a core map with like big gates leading to different parts of the city and that then all others make those parts with the big gates being the things that connect them by loading up the other section...

Edited by wesp5

I've been around since this mod was first announced in 2003, before Doom 3 even got released.

It took 6 years until the mod was finally released, during those 6 years ambitious mod projects came and went but the Dark Mod was still around progressing.

In october 18th 2009 it was finally set to be released. To be honest I was a bit disappointed at how buggy the game was initially but with patience I realized these problems will get patched and this mod will soon start fulfilling its potential.

Now we're here with over 100 fan missions available this is the best free and open source "Thief" experience after ID Software released the Doom 3 engine for free and open source under the GPL license.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...