The Dark Mod Forums

Lockpicking issues with 2.06

Springheel

Got this through the TDM email.

Anyone have any ideas?

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Since updating to 2.06 (yesterday), in both 32bit and 64 bit, picking a lock takes over 60 tries on most locks.
This happens in the new Volta and Wm, Steele 4 missions as well as all older missions.

For example; In the first Volta mission there is a display case that holds a golden spyglass. It took 6 for the first pick, and 90 for the second pick before the case would open. In the map it is called Chest_spring1, picktype is st and pins set to 23. Isn't that supposed to mean snake twice and triangle three times?

It does this for EVERY lock unless it is a single pick, and pins is 1 or 2 - then it sometimes does one, to as many as six. Haven't tested every lock in any mission because it is too damn monotonous.

maybe its the random click seqence before you get to the final one to set the pin, maybe they are thinking the random click sequence is the click you got to guess which one is the right one, and its not always the last one in the sequence, even though it is the last one in the sequence, anyway i tried out the first volta mission with notarget to get to the said case, and didn't have any problems lockpicking the case, took about 6 seconds to unlock case with lockpicks

windows 10 home 64bit version 1803, as there isn't much difference between home and pro versions anymore I don't think its will make the lockpicks act diffrently

This was started by me. Now that my login issue has been resolved (ahem).
Yes, I know how to pick locks. Have played ALL the missions (besides two newest) multiple times.

Attempting to troubleshoot...
I have even created a new directory on a different drive, RE-downloaded the 2.06 and run the training mission.
Result was on the first door, first time running it, door one opened after two picks. Second door took 13 and 60 attempts for the two picks.

Restarted, twice, but every attempt after the first one, the first door took over 30 attempts to open. Then also went completely out of TDM and even uninstalled/installed mission and still it took way to many attempts to get the first door open - so didn't move on from there.

All games are now unplayable unless I hack the map file and unlock every locked item. Setting them to 1 tumbler and one pick (T or S). Still gets random # of picks.

Wish I could roll back to 2.05 (HINT HINT HINT).

Guess I will just go back to playing Diablo,Yuri's Revenge, etc. :unsure:

I don't understand how this wasn't noticed in beta. (HUMANS! - Am I right?)

In case it maters;

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 i5 2500k (No overclocking on anything)

Intel Core i5 3.30 Ghz

8GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Ver 1709 Build 16299.579

Don't see how it would matter, but;

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Driver 388.13

Edited by BlackMagic

I don't understand how this wasn't noticed in beta. (HUMANS! - Am I right?)

It wasn't noticed because it didn't happen to anyone else. This is the first report I've seen of this issue.

Setting them to 1 tumbler and one pick (T or S). Still gets random # of picks.

What do you mean by "random # of picks"?

What happens if you set lockpicking to auto in settings? The lock should automatically open after the sequence plays 3 times, which would be much less annoying than editing the maps.

What I mean by random is that every time I restarted the mission, the locks would take a different number of attempts before unlocking.

I had assumed it would be a constant multiple of the intended number.

BTW enabling multiple cores had no effect. Nor did disabling The avast antivirus. Nothing other than normal Windows system stuff running in background.

I know my system is not the latest/greatest, but neither is it out of the ordinary.

But it sounds like you are telling me that I am the only one to have this problem.

When you say "different number of attempts before unlocking", what does that mean? You hear the window between click patterns and think you're releasing during that period, but the the attempt is unsuccessful and you have to start over? Or it is successful, but you have to pick it again as if there were another tumbler? Or you don't hear any window between click patterns at all?

What happens if you set lockpicking to auto in settings? The lock should automatically open after the sequence plays 3 times.

You are the only person to report this, so more detail is needed.

• Like 1

I hear the window between patterns, but attempt is unsuccessful. So locks that should require X attempts require more. As in X+random amount more. I have repeated up to 90, but mostly I give up when it gets into the 60's. The amount seems to be different each time through the game. So frustrating! Is there a debug version I could run that might shed light on why I get this problem? Maybe I should uninstall all the Visual C++ stuff as well as visual studio stuff (use to dabble in programming - but gave it all up) I have versions from 2005 to current. Will let you know...

Removed everything related to C++ (redistributables, library's, Compilers, etc.) Rebooted and reinstalled the x86 and x64 redistributuables and still same problem.
Duzenko, sound delay? It looks right, as far as sound starting/stopping at same time as movement. How would you recommend I check that?

S.O.B. I changed picking difficulty from Average (where I have always used it) to Trainer, and the lock picked on first try. Did the internal settings for that get changed in this version?

??? I changed setting back to Average, and it behaves MOSTLY like before. Just need to release mouse button a little bit faster (sound delay?)..
Maybe I should finally get around to replacing the buttons in my old Logitech trackball, although the intermittent problem has been it NOT registering button clicks - as opposed to releasing them.

Have to dig out my soldering gun, and then we'll see.