The Dark Mod Forums

For inspiration - Cry of Fear

freyk

I have found a very nice game, for inspiration for TDM.

Its a horror FPS game, running on the half-life 1 engine, called: Cry of Fear

(its free game on Steam)

(and you dont need half-life 1 to run it, like TDM.)

To me, its so amazingly made, that i cant believe its running on the halflife1 engine.

The games haves so many things we can use this for inspiration in TDM.

For example the live background, in-game cut-scenes, realistic textures and the overall atmosphere.

I don't play horror games, but for this game i make an exception.

What do you think about this game?

And what things of the game, do you want see in TDM?

Video:

Trailer:

a No commentary playtrough:

(playlist)

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Those cutscenes, man, those cutscenes... Part of the charm, but I don't think so-bad-it's-good is the thing to aim for in TDM.

I liked the game, but I liked its predecessor even more. "Afraid of Monsters", also a HL1 mod - managed to be more immersive despite much (much) lower production values.

One thing AoM did that CoF abandoned is a degree of monster uniqueness. An enemy that you only meet once or twice is that much more effective than Generic Zombie #274 (even if it had plenty of those too). Even if it's just a reskin, even if it's just a slight tweak - you still won't quite know what to expect right away. It's surprising how rare it is in high budget commercial games, would've thought fear of the unknown is a common sense design principle. TDM achieves some of it naturally: an FM would have some single unique threat, which across many FMs translates to decent variety. Still, I don't think anything really caught me off guard, unlike AoM.

Cry of Fear is just a Silent Hill clone. So, I think many FM's manage to do this in TDM better than Cry of Fear. I.e. without the jump scares but rather a genuine psychological thing. Creeping, disturbing maybe.

Mainly it's the Halloween FM's we have.

The real disturbing but interesting indie stuff is more around the Half Life 1 mod called Half-Quake Amen. Though there's also SCP urban story scarecrows. Most of them are decent and not as ridiculous as the Slenderman meme with the mute doll.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson