The Dark Mod Forums

Models, AI and Custom Texture Packs

Ravenhook

Are there any such resources like that in dromed where you can download models, AI's and texture packs for Dark Mod, I have seen in FM's some different models that are not included (I think) in the choices available in Dark Radiant.

If the models etc. are customly made for the fm in question and you want to use it yourself, you will have to put them into your own fm. That said I think there have been custom assets been provided by several authors, although I am not sure whether there is a thread that collects them all.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks, I understand how to use custom items as I went through Springheels tutorial about grouping and turning into prefabs and saving them for future use..this I can do quite successfully, I just wondered if and where I could dowload extra goodies...but where to put them would have been my next question.

If the models etc. are customly made for the fm in question and you want to use it yourself, you will have to put them into your own fm. That said I think there have been custom assets been provided by several authors, although I am not sure whether there is a thread that collects them all.

In general:

Is it allowed to use other people's work they published via the Dark Mod although they did not give permission for that?

I am asking since Sotha explicitly stated that everyone can use his custom assets as long as he gets credited. Thus, I always thought you have to ask for permission, but your post suggests otherwise. On the other hand, I have to admit as well that I do not fully understand the copyright rules for DM.

Edited by JackFarmer

Not sure about copyright stuff, but its obviously common sense to give people credit for their work when you use it. Including the TDM team. As for models, its not so easy to find and pick up all folders and files that compose a custom model once its been extracted into a map. Thats why its important to provide assets in self contained pk4 files that everyone can find and manage easily. But Im not sure if every mapper does that, those that did use custom models in their missions. Most models are contributed in the forums, and some do get merged into the core assets. But theres no specific place to find them, you gotta be on the lookout.

Edited by RPGista

What RPGista said. You will probably not get sued if you don't ask and give credit, but people might react negatively. I mean, if you would have spent hours in creating custom assets for your mission wouldn't you prefer to be asked before it get used by others?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

if the model was made in darkradiant and exported as an ase file, you probably wont need the material file as its already in tdm files, if it uses custom textures, then you would need the textures and material file. thats if the model uses a material file, if not then you would just need the textures.