The Dark Mod Forums

Forced login in Google Chrome v69: how to disable

Bikerdude

It looks like there is some behind the scenes forced-login/syncing in the latest version of chrome, but thankfully there is a way to disable it -

1. Go to "chrome://flags/#account-consistency"
  2. That will show the flag 'Identity consistency between browser and cookie jar' select "Disabled" from the drop-down menu
  3. Click on "Relaunch now"

c4hHIneHLkNKaqtm.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/247931/chrome-69-adds-forced-login-threatens-privacy-how-to-fix-it

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/47252-google-gives-another-reason-to-uninstall-chrome

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

I can only repeat what i wrote in that other thread: You shouldn't use Chrome, if you don't care for Google, or their services. This seems like buying a Porsche, just to amputate the engine afterwards, and driving the thing with pedals.

I also wonder about the mass of similar threads here. Seems the whole offtopic section of this forum is there to make politics now. I mean, it's cool to have an opinion, and all that, but, why try to evangelize others the whole time? Just use Firefox, Windows 7, Linux, or whatever, and be done with it.

Edited by chakkman

I can only repeat what i wrote in that other thread: You shouldn't use Chrome, if you don't care for Google, or their services. This seems like buying a Porsche, just to amputate the engine afterwards, and driving the thing with pedals.

I also wonder about the mass of similar threads here. Seems the whole offtopic section of this forum is there to make politics now. I mean, it's cool to have an opinion, and all that, but, why try to evangelize others the whole time? Just use Firefox, Windows 7, Linux, or whatever, and be done with it.

So evangelizing for a browser is bad but evangelizing against one is good?

And there is no "mass of similar threads" about browsers or OSes. There is a mass of off-topic threads about pretty different stuff - but as this is the "Off-Topic" area, that should be okay.

So evangelizing for a browser is bad but evangelizing against one is good?

No, where did i say that?

Evangelizing for a browser is hardy politics though. Not in the sense of Anti-Google, Anti-Microsoft, or Anti-Nvidia, as it is presented daily here and elsewhere. I just wished people would use Firefox, Linux and AMD, if they're so pissed off by those companies, and their "power", instead of trying to evangelize everyone. It isn't about Google, Microsoft or Nvidia anyway. It's about attitude. And, i can think and act for myself. Don't need self proclaimed apostles to tell me what to think and what to do.

Edited by chakkman

No, where did i say that?

Looks like i misinterpreted "I can only repeat what i wrote in that other thread: You shouldn't use Chrome, if you don't care for Google, or their services. This seems like buying a Porsche, just to amputate the engine afterwards, and driving the thing with pedals." followed by the next paragraph ending in "I also wonder about the mass of similar threads here. Seems the whole offtopic section of this forum is there to make politics now. I mean, it's cool to have an opinion, and all that, but, why try to evangelize others the whole time? Just use Firefox, Windows 7, Linux, or whatever, and be done with it."

Sorry. It really looked to me like you are arguing against using Chrome, then suggesting using Firefox while also making a point of beeing against evangelism in the very same post.

English is not my mother tongue though...

No worries. It isn't my mother tongue either.

The issue i have with threads like these is that i just don't feel as if they're about the actual topic announced. Rather, generally, anti-business. Again, if you don't care about Google, Microsoft, whatever, there's alternatives. If you decide to use Google, you have to be aware that it's their product, and you use it for what it is. Asking Google to exclude Google is like asking Porsche to exclude anything what Porsche is about in one of their cars.

Imagine how i had to laugh when Google announced an adblocker in Chrome. An adblocker. In a Google browser. How perverse can it get? :laugh: The company which is responsible for 90% of the advertisement on the net, whose whole business model is based on advertising introduces an adblocker in their browser. Really, this world is extremely nuts for the most part of it these days. And that's not because of the companies.

Edited by chakkman

Reports are that they are scrapping this in the next version due to the bad publicity it has justifiably earned them.

But, it's still Google, and they're still hostile toward your privacy (just like every company today). Here's another good read. https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/11/30/google-sued-over-iphone-safari-workaround-data-snooping/

Edited by kano

The issue i have with threads like these is that i just don't feel as if they're about the actual topic announced. Rather, generally, anti-business.

Yes, some like this seem to be anti-business. But the current state of our capitalist system really makes me feel that that is just fine. Most businesses seem to try really hard to get the most hate possible.

The very step this thread has in its title is that absurdly obviously evil that i have to assume that the dude in charge at Google (in this case) just thought "Well, we try and if the backlash is too much we can revert and sheeple will forget about that in a week".

Again, if you don't care about Google, Microsoft, whatever, there's alternatives.

I don't think, it really is about that corporations, but more about the human society that shaped them. If only some north american corps would be insanely fucked up - it would still be fine. But you can't easily ignore the leading culture of the very society you have been born into. "whatever makes money now is the right thing to do - screw everyone who gets to use this planet when im gone and i don't care about anyone's rights if i can get away with it" seems to be the lead doctrine of our culture and some feel more sad about that than others (there also seem to be plenty who like it or are able to ignore it though)...

For some, talking about bad corps make them feel less bad (although it seems to be the opposite for me, so i better stop now).

Imagine how i had to laugh when Google announced an adblocker in Chrome. An adblocker. In a Google browser. How perverse can it get? :laugh: The company which is responsible for 90% of the advertisement on the net, whose whole business model is based on advertising introduces an adblocker in their browser. Really, this world is extremely nuts for the most part of it these days. And that's not because of the companies.

Well, statistics show, that the more educated target groups (wich also in general are the more lucrative ones) are increasingly going the adblocker route.

Guess, how much money an advertiser makes with someone who does not see any ads. And now guess how much an advertiser makes with someone who sees ads wich are not annoying enough to get him installing an adblocker.

The point is, that Google wants to sell ad placements - wich will get very hard if everyone uses an adblocker. So they try to avoid that outcome.

Google failed miserably in the past with convincing the advertisers to stop making users install adblockers by serving them absurdly annoying shit they just can't bear. So it now tries to just include a selective "adblocker" wich will block out what they think is the stuff making users install real adblockers.

They will of course not give their users anything that makes it impossible for them to sell ad placements. But if they have to make an "adblocker" themselves to keep beeing able to indirectly get money from their users by getting it from the advertisers - you can be damn sure, that they will do that.

Naturally, the advertisers would come up with ideas to prevent the ongoing burndown of their market first. But there are millions of them and more annoying ads sell more products in the short run than less annoying ads do.

None of them can act first without losing their customers (companies that actually have something to sell) against their competition.

But there is only one Google. And as ot has a quasi-monopoly it can indeed act first without having to fear the (almost) nonexisting competition. So Google does what it has to - and includes an "adblocker" into his browser to force all advertisers to stop burning down their very own market - wich also is Googles market too.

You are right: This indead is nuts. But it also is probably the only way of working, a really free and solely greed-based economy can converge to. Anyone who shows more morale or mercy than is absolutely needed to not affront their users, is loosing against the competition and becomes extinct. Because in reality, humans mostly give a shit about humanity. It almost is like in the TDM missions - but with less honesty and less good intentions.

Hope, the concept of an ad company that integrates an "adblocker" into its browser makes sense now.