map                   textures/frestest/models/sphere_d
                scale                  1, 1
                red                     global2
                green                  global3
                blue                    global4
        }
}

post-3508-0-94703100-1544026477_thumb.jpg

I think it will have limited uses. It might become widespread in a sense that it could look good e.g. as a part of a frob shader. But that will be displayed on screen only in close proximity of an object, so it shouldn't be too taxing on a system.

Right now with standard _d _n _s material, the ambient rim color looks like this:

obraz.png

While the expected result would be more like this:

obraz.png

Edited by Judith

I think it will have limited uses. It might become widespread in a sense that it could look good e.g. as a part of a frob shader. But that will be displayed on screen only in close proximity of an object, so it shouldn't be too taxing on a system.

Right now with standard _d _n _s material, the ambient rim color looks like this:

obraz.png

While the expected result would be more like this:

obraz.png

Let me have that model to test

For additional reference:

This is UE4, but this was done the same way in non-PBR UE3 (dx9), so it should be possible.

I'm curious how this partucular model looks with rim lights on in UE?

Can you convert it so that it has smoothed normals? See the attached - each face has a hard fixed normal unlike regular D3/TDM models where vertex normals are averaged for each triangle it forms

post-3508-0-05414300-1544439855_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the drawer has one smoothing group for the whole piece. I didn't save the source file for the cube, I'll have to make it from scratch. There's something seriously wrong with DR exporting .ase models. It often exports triangles 2-3 times, so they all overlap and have z-fighting.

• Like 1

Yeah, the drawer has one smoothing group for the whole piece. I didn't save the source file for the cube, I'll have to make it from scratch. There's something seriously wrong with DR exporting .ase models. It often exports triangles 2-3 times, so they all overlap and have z-fighting.

I would really like to see the end result of that model in UE if possible

I'm afraid the basic rim lights can't do that exact contour thing from your screenshot

Sorry that it took me so long, but I wanted to have a fully unwrapped switch to see how the rim light utilises 0-1 uv space.

obraz.png

Right now it works quite nicely, although it is affected by the normalmap. That's why I opted for image program rather than global keyword, so we could e.g. overlay it on top.

• Like 2

I am interested in changing the look of the frob highlight because in certain lighting situations I just can't tell whether an object is highlighted or not. So I had a quick look at the code yesterday, to see how extensive a code change for frob highlight would be. Apparently, it is pretty much all defined in the mtr files, which means there is no flexibility in the current implementation. I guess this subpar solution came to fruition due to the fact the SDK was not open-source yet. So, changing the frob highlight code would require quite some refactoring which I should better leave to people more experienced with TDM's codebase. :-(

I wonder how that model looks with UE rim light

Right now it works quite nicely, although it is affected by the normalmap. That's why I opted for image program rather than global keyword, so we could e.g. overlay it on top.

I think the engine should already support it via a custom material shader

I wonder how that model looks with UE rim light

Actually, it looks the same, so the math is correct (if you were worried about that):

obraz.png

obraz.png

Edit: okay, so this works as it should. I mean, having a thin outline like in this Dishonored shot is impossible to have with fresnel function. Creating object outline is pretty complex thing, actually:

http://www.michalorzelek.com/blog/tutorial-creating-outline-effect-around-objects/

Edited by Judith

So I had a quick look at the code yesterday, to see how extensive a code change for frob highlight would be. Apparently, it is pretty much all defined in the mtr files, which means there is no flexibility in the current implementation.

IMO per-material approach is the most flexible, as you can fine-tune the frob intensity in relation to a model, and even to its particular instance in the world (with shaderparm). Problems start when you want to make quick global changes for all materials.

IMO per-material approach is the most flexible, as you can fine-tune the frob intensity in relation to a model, and even to its particular instance in the world (with shaderparm). Problems start when you want to make quick global changes for all materials.

Agreed. It's a shame the available version of id Tech 4 doesn't have a template system for material defs like Q4's or ET:QW's, which could have reduced the amount of text needed.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying