The Dark Mod Forums

Hardware implants and the global war for information dominance

Outlooker

I think that should be of interest to some some of you:

1538694302251-0.jpg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

That's China's effort.

Most of you probably know about the already public US' efforts due to traitor's info-leaks, but it's related information so I'll post it, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_ANT_catalog

https://nsa.gov1.info/dni/nsa-ant-catalog/

https://www.eff.org/files/2014/01/06/20131230-appelbaum-nsa_ant_catalog.pdf

So far for software security patches for trying to get some measure of security.

EDIT:

Suddenly after release of the article all parties deny that anything anywhere anyhow happened.

Going back to business is probably more profitable than causing a public mess...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-amazon-apple-supermicro-and-beijing-respond

Edited by Outlooker

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Heh, the future is here!

Global value chains means that when you buy hardware, you get china-chips from Chinese subcontractors, russia-chips from Russian subcontractors, america-chips from American subcontractors, and spy-chips from all the other parties of the value chain. Plus after hardware, you still get all the bloatware and malware that comes pre-installed.

I find it tragicomic. Bright side is that at least you get extra microchips for the same price...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

It is spying but not information dominance.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

chinese hardware isn't worth the silicon its printed on, they pass all chips whether they've failed testing or not.

had several memory cards that have never worked due to faults in the chips, all stamped with made in china. land of crappy chips.

If it is too cheap to be true - it probably isn't. Ignore the products with impossible prices.

You can get quality stuff from China if you follow the same precautions that you need to follow to get quality stuff from any country:

Be careful, control your greed, and buy from a well-known store in your country (or any EU-country if you live in the EU).

chinese hardware isn't worth the silicon its printed on, they pass all chips whether they've failed testing or not.

had several memory cards that have never worked due to faults in the chips, all stamped with made in china. land of crappy chips.

I think most of the mid range stuff is made in China, but I want to believe that good stuff made in China is actually made in unrecognized Taiwan.

IMHO if you want an SD card for stuff that takes a lot of damage (such as dashcam when driving in winter/summer) you need a special SD card - for example the Transcend U. Full name of one I use and it did not fail yet - UHS-I Card. They are supposed to be more resilient to various temperatures when the camera (and the card) heats and cools. Somehwhat more expensive but suited for long term use, in commutes and long traveling.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson