The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.07

stgatilov

Lowenz wants to say that we can downgrade OpenGL version in NVIDIA control panel.

I already ran TDM while tricking it to think it has only GL 2.0 with minimum extensions.

But there is major difference between simulating something and running it for real.

I think Duzenko wants to know the behavior on the real piece of hardware.

Lowenz wants to say that we can downgrade OpenGL version in NVIDIA control panel.

I already ran TDM while tricking it to think it has only GL 2.0 with minimum extensions.

But there is major difference between simulating something and running it for real.

I think Duzenko wants to know the behavior on the real piece of hardware.

Right

I don't think that CP option will make the driver fail to support the extensions.

Just did a fresh install of 2.07 on Windows 7 wusing tdm_update.exe from first post, started the x64 version, downloaded one mission and quit the game using the menu.

Instead of quitting, it just stopped working leading to the standard Windows crash dialog containing the following "problem details":

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TheDarkModx64.exe
Application Version: 2.0.7.0
Application Timestamp: 5c21c350
Fault Module Name: StackHash_83b8
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24150
Fault Module Timestamp: 5b0cbc1e
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000bf6b2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1031
Additional Information 1: 83b8
Additional Information 2: 83b8ca32d0f862c1e989bf5a9306f967
Additional Information 3: d51e
Additional Information 4: d51e941c1cc4b02b79a48bd9e3216daa

• Like 2

Just did a fresh install of 2.07 on Windows 7 wusing tdm_update.exe from first post, started the x64 version, downloaded one mission and quit the game using the menu.

Instead of quitting, it just stopped working leading to the standard Windows crash dialog containing the following "problem details":

Well, if this is repeatable you can try to record a crash dump.

Then I could look at it and probably understand what's going on.

• Like 1

Problem regarding shadow maps (r_shadows 2):

The "Shadow Softness" slider in the GUI has a range between 0 and 5. At r_softshadowsradius = 0, the shadows will disappear. If the player turns off soft shadows completely, the lights will disappear also. This is all on a spotlight, so I actually believe this is the same bug I reported with regards to spotlights in the BFG beta thread. I still don't know what your guys' stance is on the default value for the SS radius, whether it be positive or negative. At any rate I recommend changing the minimum value for the GUI slider at the very least, because it will break projected lights when it's set to zero.

SinglePass 1 still disables transparent textures from casting proper shadows.

On beta two I can confirm parallel lights continue to be on stencil, I can also confirm clean snowflakes. :)

e: BD reported a missing texture last page, I can confirm that too but it's not 2.07 specific, I saw it before the beta.

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 3

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

BD reported a missing texture last page, I can confirm that too but it's not 2.07 specific, I saw it before the beta.

I created a new material def from the one for that model that replaces the grill texture with see-through grill texture Springheel created ages ago and it works quite well -

utility_grate_001
{
    metal

{blend diffusemap   
    map   textures/darkmod/metal/grate/grate_rusted_mesh
    alphatest .5
    red  .6
    green  .8
    blue  1
    }

bumpmap         textures/darkmod/metal/grate/grate_rusted_mesh_local

{
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         textures/darkmod/metal/grate/grate_rusted_mesh
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related
	{
		if (global5 == 1)
		blend add
		map				textures/darkmod/metal/grate/grate_rusted_mesh
		scale			1, 1
		red				global2
		green			global3
		blue			global4
	}
}
Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 2

e: BD reported a missing texture last page, I can confirm that too but it's not 2.07 specific, I saw it before the beta.

Is there a bugtracker for it?

I played through The Night of Reluctant Benefaction and apart from occasional garbage frames when saving or loading, everything seems solid with the different driver. The instability I got when turning on multicore enhancements in 2.06 has disappeared.

A bit of odd behaviour happened, though I don't know whether it's specifically a 2.07 bug: I blackjacked an AI as he was handling a door, and the first weird thing was that he gave a bark as though he'd just spotted an open door that should be closed, even though the only open door nearby was the one he'd opened himself. The second odd thing was that once he'd gone into ragdoll, his fingers kept clenching and unclenching, as though there were still an animation cycle running on them. The finger movement persisted through shouldering and unshouldering, but wasn't preserved in a saved game.

The frob helper is useful, but it exposed some kind of inaccuracy:

post-35144-0-18031700-1545939750_thumb.jpg

post-35144-0-76969900-1545939731_thumb.jpg

In the first image, the frob helper can be seen upwards of the key, but the key is still highlighted. In the second image, the frob helper is right over the key, but now it's the ragdoll that has the frob highlight. That's the opposite of what one would expect.

• Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

That is because the gui dot, is really not being drown where the trace makes contact but is drawn at the center of the screen and in some circumstances the trace contact, is really not where the screen center is, afaik that is because the trace is a 3D trace where's the gui dot is a 2D concept. Personally I don't know how this could be solved, unless the gui dot is made to follow where the trace hits like when you use showtrace in the console.

• Like 1

The cursor is basically drawn where the trace makes contact although it is drawn in 2d space. The reason for that is that the cursor is shown right on the optical axis, which means that it's xy-position is independent of depth. The reason for this must therefore be of other origin. While I don't exactly know how it might be caused, I suspect it has to do with frob bias or maybe the way the "check for contact with entity" is performed. I will have to investigate that. Thanks for reporting. Might I ask what resolution you're running?

Edit: By the way, only the second image shows incorrect behavior. In the first image, the Frobhelper is correctly shown because frobable objects are nearby.

The cursor is basically drawn where the trace makes contact although it is drawn in 2d space. The reason for that is that the cursor is shown right on the optical axis, which means that it's xy-position is independent of depth. The reason for this must therefore be of other origin.

Ok i stand corrected. :)

textures/darkmod/wood/panels/molding_white_painted_s does not exist. The offending material is textures/darkmod/wood/panels/molding_white_painted (e: and the _ns version!!)and no other molding has a specular map declared. Unless it's in the SVN, I suggest fixing the mtr.

e, @spring, i've not made bugtracker entries, i'm usually on it when it comes to mantis but i'm both busy with mapping and hope that singular texture fix requests don't need their separate bug entry.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

models/darkmod/architecture/doors/frenchdoor.ase, the glassdoor from Goldwell's missions that was included in the core, lacks the material textures/darkmod/glass/milky_lowfrob. I suggest creating it, the name implies it's just a regular milky glass without the frob highlight, but you may want to contact GW or simply go into his latest missions and see how he defined it in his .mtrs.

edit: just so I don't end up triple-posting, http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4687

I have not forgotten about this. If there are any protests about nobody being available to test whether all the assets will integrate properly, I'll test each personally if need be.

Edited by Spooks

Just want to say, that i did some small tests to run TDM 2.07 using:

• Windows 32 bit binary on Wine 4.0-rc3 (playonlinux 4.3.4) on Linux (opensuse leap 15.0 - 64 bit), on a VM (Virtualbox).
  • Linux 64 bit binary on Linux (opensuse leap 15.0 - 64 bit) on a VM (Virtualbox)
Both starts and shows the main menu (music, sound and interaction), without installing extra components.

Haven't did any advanced tests, because it runs very slow on a VM (but thats obvious,..)

Haven't tested on mac os, either.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

hope that singular texture fix requests don't need their separate bug entry.

If I read the message at home I can fix it right away, but if I read it at work it will often get buried and forgotten.

The frob helper is useful, but it exposed some kind of inaccuracy:

The issue arises from inaccurate collision models (CMs), as can be seen in these screenshots. Based on those CMs, the priest is correctly highlighted rather than the key. We will discuss internally whether something can be done about this.

post-684-0-97187700-1546010438_thumb.jpgpost-684-0-71371000-1546010432_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a very odd issue with an elevator, when it reaches a floor (in this case the 3rd) the Ai takes damage and the elevator goes back down without stopping at the floor. The same dosen't happen when the elevator reaches the 2nd floor (its only works on the 2nd floor sometimes under 2.07, other times the Ai take damage), and under 2.06 the elevator can go to the 3rd floor and Ai exits just fine....

Also that link above isnt publicly viewable

Edited by Bikerdude

In the current beta I get weird black distortion on the ceiling while beta-testing some1stoleit's new map:

post-9-0-89788400-1546104703_thumb.jpg