The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.07

stgatilov

First bug of 2019 :D

Restarting the FM (I've tested WS4) after a death (NOT loading a save file) the player arm+weapon disappears. Arrows seem remain (only the arrow, not the actual bow model! You can reproduce this by holding the mouse button until you see the arrow showing up)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Nope this is new and it might explain why an Ai that was fine before in my City wip keeps dying for no apparent reason.

I have noticed AI being dead, although I had nothing to do with them, too.

Anyone noticed this before?

(a video with weird ragdoll movements here)

I think there are tons of weird behavior with dead bodies and such.

I often see knocked out women remaining on their feet in ragdoll state (while chest going horizontal).

I noticed that if you take a rat corpse in the goal location of Rat's Triumphant and move it into wall/floor, than it starts crazingly fast rotations.

Please post which mission it is and which exact location (getviewpos) it is.

The behavior can depend a lot on coordinates.

A config file may also be worthy.

I think there are tons of weird behavior with dead bodies and such.

I often see knocked out women remaining on their feet in ragdoll state (while chest going horizontal).

I noticed that if you take a rat corpse in the goal location of Rat's Triumphant and move it into wall/floor, than it starts crazingly fast rotations.

Please post which mission it is and which exact location (getviewpos) it is.

The behavior can depend a lot on coordinates.

A config file may also be worthy.

It was in an unreleased mission I was checking for plagiarism. As you can see in the video, it seems to happen when the AI is dropped anywhere near that rug. Occasionally odd things happen with ragdolls, but they're rarely repeatable, like this one was, and I've never seen this particular rolling over behaviour. If other people are noticing the same thing then it would be worth checking out.

Okay, where are all these dead AI?

You guys need to be filing bugtracker issues.

Created 4940.

Caught into this myself by noticing that most of women are off before I even find them in Crucible Omens.

For instance, here is Lazarova, which was "drunk as dead" when I found her:

bcd_woman_out_2.jpg

• Like 1

I see this a lot but it never really bothered me. Try to blackjack someone lying or awakening on a bed and often they will slide off looking really weird...

We're talking about AI are that are already knocked out when you find them.

Another issue:

--the preview screenshots in the mission downloader appear for a second and immediately fade away to nothing. In 2.05 they work properly.

Is that not this old but sporadic bug? http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3463

You're right, it does sound like the same thing. I've never encountered that bug before, and when I went back to my 2.05 build it didn't happen. But it sounds like it's been around for a long time.

Some thoughts on shadow maps:

I like them. But setting softshadowsradious to a higher value than 1 will cause some problems, namely with small objects like cups and bowls. One workaround I found to eliminate this is to set softshadowsquality to 1 and then lower the shadowmapsize from the default of 1024 to 512. This is a cheap way of getting softer shadows that at the same time will increase performance.

Yup, soft shadows eat up performance and only look good around medium or higher. while Shadow maps with soft shadows OFF look better than hard stencil shadows, while offering similar performance (assuming shadow map size is around 1024).

Edited by Judith

Does anybody else experience accidental double-frobs like a chest or door stopping mid-motion, not opening all the way? I frequently see this, but as it might as well be a mouse issue, I would like to hear other reports of this issue.

I can confirm that the ragdolls are a bit wonkier now, even still-standing AI that get blackjacked will skip about after falling. Not reproducible when loading and blackjacking the same AI. Seems random, i dunno :/ i don't want to send anyone on a goosechase.

I have a case of a candleflame showing inside a mirror on the other side of a wall. It's in Night of Reluctant Benefaction, I have a savegame here but I realize that I'm playing on beta 2 and not 3 so it's probably not gonna work, so I'll just supply screenshots.

The candle is in this room. It's on the table to the right, but move it like I have, so it shows better on the exact opposite side of that wall, where a mirror is. It's the place that you get up from jumping on an awning and opening a second floor window.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I have a case of a candleflame showing inside a mirror on the other side of a wall. It's in Night of Reluctant Benefaction, I have a savegame here but I realize that I'm playing on beta 2 and not 3 so it's probably not gonna work, so I'll just supply screenshots.

Savegames are usable. We can do a bit of time-travelling if it is absolutely necessary. Also, developer can take source code of that version directly. Just note which version you were using (either SVN revision from game console or codename).

But the most convenient information on a stable map is: 1) Which mission it is, and 2) Your exact location (execute getviewpos in console to get it).

The candle is in this room. It's on the table to the right, but move it like I have, so it shows better on the exact opposite side of that wall, where a mirror is. It's the place that you get up from jumping on an awning and opening a second floor window.

I don't know whether it's closely related, since this doesn't include the particle clipping through the wall like yours seems to, but I took this shot in The Elixir under 2.06. The overbrightness in the mirror compared to the scene it reflects is caused by a candle in the room behind, and eliminated when the candle is snuffed. (I hadn't filed a bug report because I was going to see whether I could reproduce it and didn't get around to it, but the visportalling seemed okay so I don't think it's a map bug.)

post-35144-0-45865200-1546545867_thumb.jpg

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

The problem with the rolling ragdolls looks like it has something to do with the presence of the rug. He behaved normally when he wasn't dropped touching the rug.

Can someone create a small test map with just that room and the ragdoll in it, and attach it to this issue? (I have to jump through a hoop to get the beta of the mission, and I'd like to skip that.)

I don't know if I'll have much time to look at it, but I'd like to see if there's something obvious.

thx

I don't know whether it's closely related, since this doesn't include the particle clipping through the wall like yours seems to, but I took this shot in The Elixir under 2.06. The overbrightness in the mirror compared to the scene it reflects is caused by a candle in the room behind, and eliminated when the candle is snuffed. (I hadn't filed a bug report because I was going to see whether I could reproduce it and didn't get around to it, but the visportalling seemed okay so I don't think it's a map bug.)

attachicon.gifelixir_2018-09-26_02.32.45.jpg

Yes, the visportaling in the Reluctant Benefaction looked solid too, which is the first thing I thought to cause the bug as well.

I forgot about getviewpos! Thank you for reminding me, in The Night of Reluctant Benefaction (anorb2.map), the getviewpos for viewing the bug is "635.64 535.45 300.25 2.4 -84.2 0.0" . You can see the candle flame in the corner of the mirror and as you turn to the left, it's aspect will seem to skew and flip horizontally. If you set up the candle on the other side of the wall like I have in the screenshot, the candle flame will appear more or less in the center of the mirror.

I tried fiddling with toggling some of the "new" cvar settings but the bug seems persistent. Now that VanishedOne has corroborated there's been at least some weird behaviour regarding candles and mirrors I've filed a tracker issue, #4946.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!