The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.07

stgatilov

Btw. why shadowcaulk? Models are there to cast their shadows (or those cast by a dedicated shadow mesh). This looks like a very uncommon way of doing things.

The wall modules won't seal the level. Why shadowcaulk over caulk then? Honestly, I don't remember why I do it now! I just remember there was a bad drawback with caulk that I discovered and it turned me to shadowcaulk, which did a better job. At any rate, one benefit is that you can freely turn off the shadow casting on any wall module in a concave room (conditionally through LOD or not), because if there is any light, it will be casting light on the wall modules, the modules themselves won't cast shadows inwards, to the room. The exception is the trim, but if it's minimal or the light is cast not too dramatically, the player won't notice. As regards to the material issue, don't worry guys i fixed it :)

Should I track this one?

• Like 3

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Found this little change in the cfg file: seta pm_bobup "0.035" up from 0.03 of old versions. Why?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Can we now use safely the singlepass SM?

It seems that now the game simply crash forcing the singlepass to 1.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Which shadow mode is that?

Stencil.

One way to reproduce is: boot up e.g. Chalice of Kings and teleport e.g. to (3877 3265 160).

There is guard standing there.

Obtain a lantern somehow (e.g. spawn atdm:playertools_lantern and pick it up), enable it and fly around him.

Stencil.

One way to reproduce is: boot up e.g. Chalice of Kings and teleport e.g. to (3877 3265 160).

There is guard standing there.

Obtain a lantern somehow (e.g. spawn atdm:playertools_lantern and pick it up), enable it and fly around him.

Looks like shadow volume on the thin armor surface overlaps with the surface itself

Play with r_shadowpoligonOffset/factor to prove

Separate shadow LOD?

Hmm... related to:

Square Root problems?

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4877

AFAIK recall a few math lib changes were also made for mantling improvements or coincided with them...

Historically, we saw stencil issues where MSVC updates muddled with Epsilon behavior so we had to exclude

parts of the stencil calc from inline optimizations.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Looks like shadow volume on the thin armor surface overlaps with the surface itself

Play with r_shadowpoligonOffset/factor to prove

Separate shadow LOD?

Yes, all AI have both shadowmeshes and LOD stages. Has there been a change to how they work since 2.06?

I've not had a chance to test since my last post, which was a workweek ago. When I said I "fixed it" I meant the remark from VanishedOne. I assumed the problem might have been fixed in beta 7 but as it has not I have indeed gone ahead and tracked it.

Reopen http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4955. The bug is back on beta 7. I cross referenced both in my WIPs and in the view position in William Steele.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Reopen http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4955. The bug is back on beta 7. I cross referenced both in my WIPs and in the view position in William Steele.

Yes.

I added some missing clamps, and now it should work exactly as the old shader did in 2.05.

And in 2.05, the crate looks exactly the same.

I think in the end it is the crate which should be fixed.

By no means do I think it's somehow a problem in the crate. Or rather, if you think the 2.05 shader is the problem, the crate's not the only thing affected. I've noticed black splotches and over-brightened specularity on cylinder patches in my map that were not there during the previous beta. Here is a cropped picture, with magnification:

kTL1SiM.png

The light is coming from behind, from the window, and that four-sided, cylindrical patch exhibits the bug on a face that's facing somewhat away from the light, yet is getting inordinately strong specular (and clipping to black), compared to simple interaction shader or enhanced on beta 6. Honestly, I think there's something wrong with the 2.05 shader in and of itself, because I've encountered similar stuff in 2.06, like the stair models I talked about earlier in the thread. I don't remember it being this bad though. If needs be I can make a test map, but not today, maybe on Sunday.

• Like 1

By no means do I think it's somehow a problem in the crate. Or rather, if you think the 2.05 shader is the problem, the crate's not the only thing affected. I've noticed black splotches and over-brightened specularity on cylinder patches in my map that were not there during the previous beta. Here is a cropped picture, with magnification:

If you ask me, I would happily delete all those things called "rim light" and "fresnel" from the shader. At least for 99% of objects.

All those weird components raised to insane power... they are doomed to have unintentional effects.

Speaking of the crate tin WS4, its lighting is weird even with simple shader.

But simple shader doesn't have all those risky components, so it does not look so obviously wrong.

Try to move candle yourself near the crate with simple interaction. It is not correct.

UPDATE: added an image into 4955.

The crates have smoothed vertex normals, which generates absolutely crazy tangent space, so any hope of proper lighting disappears.

• Like 1