The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Bienie

Congrats, but something is definitely off with that snow particle...is that a core asset?

Congrats, but something is definitely off with that snow particle...is that a core asset?

Thanks. Yeah the snow particles in TDM aren't the most beautiful but they do the job. It's the standard one you find under darkmod/weather/snow. Honestly it looks a lot worse in still frames than it does moving, but it always has that slightly weird square edge around it.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

It looks like it isn't pure black around the edges like it should be. I'll take a look.

• Like 1

Okay, good mission, glad you added some new things, however I now cannot cover this Fan Mission - why did you change the font of the thief's correspondence to the very font which oversaturates causing the note to be a bit illegible? I'm sorry, but as much as I'd have loved to cover this today, I just simply can't, I have standards to abide by.

Also I had no idea you could turn off the generator to disable the alleyway lights. Makes things so much easier.

• Like 1

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Helllo Bienie,

Thank you for this Christman mission. Downloaded and started playing it last night.

JF

P.S. Ah, that's how you create blank lines in button-animated briefing. I was already about to ask in the Newbie thread how to do that. :)

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

Okay, good mission, glad you added some new things, however I now cannot cover this Fan Mission - why did you change the font of the thief's correspondence to the very font which oversaturates causing the note to be a bit illegible? I'm sorry, but as much as I'd have loved to cover this today, I just simply can't, I have standards to abide by.

Also I had no idea you could turn off the generator to disable the alleyway lights. Makes things so much easier.

Oversaturate? Do you mean that the font doesn't transfer well to video? I could change that font and send you a separate .pk4 if you wish. Would be nice to see you cover this mission :) I changed it because it was the very same font as Nick is using and I don't want to give the impression that he's the author :P

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Hi Bienie,

Thank you for this awesome little Christmas-themed mission.

"...got me by the ornaments" & "Flying Taffer Spotted!" LOL

I found 1179 loot and 2 out of 3 good deeds.

Two things you should be aware of...

1) The door of the safe in Wade's office will open and clip through the painting if you click on the painting itself before lowering it with the desk button. Just a heads up.

2) The thieves' letter to Adrian has a grammar error at the start (repeats the words "take it" twice), though that's not really much of an issue.

I liked the snow effect and the Christmas lights, music boxes etc.

Nice job :)

• Like 1

Oversaturate? Do you mean that the font doesn't transfer well to video? I could change that font and send you a separate .pk4 if you wish. Would be nice to see you cover this mission :) I changed it because it was the very same font as Nick is using and I don't want to give the impression that he's the author :P

I think I should wait until 2.07 is released in its final form and see if that issue is fixed. Although it really is a nitpick, like I said I have standards to abide by. Besides, I ended up being really busy this Christmas, having officially received Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and the Switch version of Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

• Like 1

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Enjoyed the mission on 2.07 beta and would santa again.

The snow is pretty on the current beta and i like the interactive machinery.
Had to turn off EFX effects though because they cause way too much echo on player and AI footsteps.

I can confirm, that Wade's safe can be opened by frobbing through the painting without using the button under the desktop first.

Edited by Abusimplea
  • Like 1

Thanks for the festive mission. :smile: I found a possible source of the chimney visportal weirdness: brush 36 isn't fully aligned with brush 177. If you find them using Map -> Find brush... and look from inside the chimney, you can find a thin caulk line, and it's possible to see through into another (lit) room when playing.

• Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Thank you for the lovely Christmas mission, I enjoyed it :)

I liked the hidden objectives as well as the secret loot. Was pleasantly surprised that no one attacked me in the pub, especially when I'd just been slashed by the guard out front. lol I found all the loot, all secrets as well as completed the hidden objectives. I did have trouble figuring out one and had to come here for a hint.

I tried to give the homeless man the journal, since it went into inventory- so he would know about the help available to him. When that didn't work, I had to come here. I saw the bread highlight, however ignored it as that often happens in missions.

I also didn't go to the meeting right away, so I thought I'd fail the mission when he said don't rob anyone that you're leaving the gifts for as I'd already made my way through the town and the residents were now having a long winters nap. lol Fortunately the written instructions for delivering said gifts didn't say that and I continued on my appointed rounds. :)

I liked your theme, Christmas trees and the music boxes. Put me in the spirit for sure.

Thank you for all your hard work and look forward to more missions from you.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delayed replies.

Hi Bienie,

Thank you for this awesome little Christmas-themed mission.

"...got me by the ornaments" & "Flying Taffer Spotted!" LOL

I found 1179 loot and 2 out of 3 good deeds.

Two things you should be aware of...

1) The door of the safe in Wade's office will open and clip through the painting if you click on the painting itself before lowering it with the desk button. Just a heads up.

2) The thieves' letter to Adrian has a grammar error at the start (repeats the words "take it" twice), though that's not really much of an issue.

I liked the snow effect and the Christmas lights, music boxes etc.

Nice job :)

I see you caught on to my attempts at holiday themed humor ^^. May I ask which good deeds you did find? Any of the secrets? Glad you enjoyed the mission and Christmas theme!

That's a good point about the safe... an oversight on my part. The painting is meant to slide down upon frobbing, but since I changed it to a button operated door it needed to have a frob control setup for the safe behind it. That'll be high on my list if I make a bugfix release. I do remember rephrasing that thief letter, must have missed it when I was shuffling words around, thanks for the heads up!

Enjoyed the mission on 2.07 beta and would santa again.

The snow is pretty on the current beta and i like the interactive machinery.
Had to turn off EFX effects though because they cause way too much echo on player and AI footsteps.

I can confirm, that Wade's safe can be opened by frobbing through the painting without using the button under the desktop first.

Glad you enjoyed my little electronic thingamabob! That's odd about the EFX. Has it been like that on other missions for you as well? Wondering if it might be a 2.07 thing, because there is only supposed to be a lot of echo in the tunnel area.

Thanks for the festive mission. :smile: I found a possible source of the chimney visportal weirdness: brush 36 isn't fully aligned with brush 177. If you find them using Map -> Find brush... and look from inside the chimney, you can find a thin caulk line, and it's possible to see through into another (lit) room when playing.

Thanks for playing! I did actually find that little misalignment during playtesting but completely forgot to fix it :mellow: Was a bit rushed trying to get the mission released before Christmas day. Mental note to self; any seasonally-sensitive missions need to be given more time than you could imagine them needing before release! Luckily I think the visportal issues were solved by changing the mission ceiling to portal_sky which I had somehow completely overlooked.

Thank you for the lovely Christmas mission, I enjoyed it :)

I liked the hidden objectives as well as the secret loot. Was pleasantly surprised that no one attacked me in the pub, especially when I'd just been slashed by the guard out front. lol I found all the loot, all secrets as well as completed the hidden objectives. I did have trouble figuring out one and had to come here for a hint.

I tried to give the homeless man the journal, since it went into inventory- so he would know about the help available to him. When that didn't work, I had to come here. I saw the bread highlight, however ignored it as that often happens in missions.

I also didn't go to the meeting right away, so I thought I'd fail the mission when he said don't rob anyone that you're leaving the gifts for as I'd already made my way through the town and the residents were now having a long winters nap. lol Fortunately the written instructions for delivering said gifts didn't say that and I continued on my appointed rounds. :)

I liked your theme, Christmas trees and the music boxes. Put me in the spirit for sure.

Thank you for all your hard work and look forward to more missions from you.

Thank you for the in depth review, and I'm glad you got into the Christmas spirit!

That's a very good point about the journal. That would probably be something the beggar could like to have, it didn't even occur to me. I meant to change that so it wouldn't go in the inventory, eliminating any confusion. I'll make sure to do that if I release an update.

It is pretty interesting that Santa doesn't mind if you knock out all the people on his good list... I guess it's a good thing I didn't add any loot to the apartments or those who like to explore before doing objectives might fail the mission and not know why.

• Like 3

My Fan Missions:

Very much enjoyed this Christmas themed mission. Thanks!

Would've been nice to be able to add one more good deed for atwell and find a place for the homeless.

This is why I needed much time to find out

the homeless man needs the bread instead the key for room 3 (the empty room)

• Like 1

Congratulations on your release. Will play it in a bit :D

[Edit]

Nice mission. I just finished it, and it was a lot of fun. Nicely detailed, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I did find

a couple of problems. The first time I found Farley, he wouldn't talk to me, and I never got the instructions.

In that same load, picking the guy with the safes door, I was interupted by a guard, and the door couldn't

be picked again after that, so I had to reload. That fixed both problems.

Nice small, mission. Thanks heaps. :D

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Congratulations on your release. Will play it in a bit :D

[Edit]

Nice mission. I just finished it, and it was a lot of fun. Nicely detailed, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I did find

a couple of problems. The first time I found Farley, he wouldn't talk to me, and I never got the instructions.

In that same load, picking the guy with the safes door, I was interupted by a guard, and the door couldn't

be picked again after that, so I had to reload. That fixed both problems.

Nice small, mission. Thanks heaps. :D

Glad you enjoyed!

That's an odd bug with the door to Wade's place, and the conversation not triggering is kind of weird as well. I would think that you triggered it but didn't hear it, but in that case you would have had the objective pop up at random after he finished talking.

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Glad you enjoyed!

That's an odd bug with the door to Wade's place, and the conversation not triggering is kind of weird as well. I would think that you triggered it but didn't hear it, but in that case you would have had the objective pop up at random after he finished talking.

The objective popped up, but since I didn't have the readable, I had no idea how to do it, or what had to be done. Reload fixed it. I might've jumped off

the awning into the conversation trigger, that might've done it. The lock though was wierd. Not seen that before. Either way, nice mission. :)

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...