The Dark Mod Forums

Straight-Up Films

Kurshok

Do you think Straight-Up Films is still working on the Thief movie? Their website still has it up, but there are a few things I've noticed. First, they haven't talked about how far along the movie is AT ALL. If it's CGI, maybe they're almost done, because it's been 2 years going on 3 since 2016, when they announced they worked out a deal with Eidos Montreal.

Second, the game wasn't too well received, so who knows If Eidos ordered a cancellation and Straight-Up Films just didn't tell anyone out of embarrassment? Third, SUF mistakenly said there would be a new Thief game based on the plot of the movie, which Eidos President got angry over.

Finally, they haven't replied at all to my Facebook comments on their page asking about it, and also seem to never answer their phone on their website's phone number. The few times they have, they are deliberately quiet about it. I just wish I knew what was going on.

I'm pretty sure with the abysmal reception of the Thief reboot at launch, it would have been axed immediately. I'd heard there might have been some kind of film adaptation but I'd be very surprised if they were still working on it at this point. We're lucky if anyone ever thinks of picking up the IP again. It had some years to overcome, an old fanbase to please and a new era of AAA expectations; it currently spells financial disaster for any studio interested in the series. Sadly it's all because of marketing but that's what's killed Thief in every iteration of it's history. Even at it's peak, the Thief games have been plagued with coexisting in collapsing companies from Looking Glass to Ion Storm. It's a testament to the developers to have pushed out such great games in the past, it's just too bad that the most recent release had rather more sealed it's fate for the time being.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

They didn't announce they were starting work on the film until 2016, 2 years after its release. I would hope they sell it off cheap to a dedicated fan of the series, one who could give it the attention the series deserves, instead of rushing out something that tries to please too many people at once and fails.

its in development, which is movie speak for still working on script. this can take up to 10 years, if its says in production, then thats movie speak for we are filming it. can take up to 6 months. post production is cgi, adding music, adding voice as its usually re-dubbed can take 2 to 3 years.

in development also means looking for backers, locations, art direction, storyboards, looking for the actors to appear in it, screen tests of those actors, unless it turns out to be an animations, then you still need actors to do the voices.

Edited by stumpy

• 3 months later...

I left a message on their newest Facebook post. This time, I said out loud how they stonewalled my for years, never letting me know if the movie was still in development and how they kept ignoring me no matter how much I called or wrote to them. Fucking pieces of shit.