The Dark Mod Forums

I want to share a funny Fan-Mission Idea

Kurshok

I was listening to The Official Podcast featuring Cr1tikal, now known as penguinz0 on YouTube. Episode 190. The theme of the episode was conspiracy theories like Chemtrails, Flat Earth, and Anti-Vaccinations. The hilarity of the premise of some of the ideas they posted could be made into Comedy Missions. For example, a powerful alliance of both Rogue Mages and Extremist Builders learn that the world really ISN'T flat, but they believe that in order for the Builder to return, the world must be MADE flat. So, a bunch of ridiculously stupid idea loving wizards and religious folk try to complete a massive spell to literally flatten a town as a "test". Meanwhile, a "raw water" craze with the locals of said town, coupled with an anti-healer movement, results in a damn zombie plague outbreak, and it's up to the Thief player to steal the crystal or relic that's powering their "town-flatter" ritual, resulting in the ritual failing. After, a squad of Official Builders arrive to deal with the zombie outbreak and rogue wizards & heretics. The entire town of morons get burned in fire by the Church, and you make off with all their money in the Chaos. What do you think?

So, what sort of Comedy Mission ideas do others have? Slapstick? Toilet Humor? Dark humor revolving around people dying in morbidly comedic ways like slipping on a dog turd and landing in a pit full of Giant Spiders? What is your idea of a humorous mission?

Just on the crazy conspiracy theory angle, it might be funny if somebody made a spoof of Deus Ex in TDM with medieval versions of the conspiracies and played like DX. I could see it.

The funniest thing I planned for an FM was for T2, I had Bafford having his face carved into the side of a mountain, and the mission was set in the construction site. I got a lot of it built, but the only part of it that saw the light of day was a bit of it copy/pasted into my part of The Chain Project.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It's such a distant memory now. I'd need to go back and play around with it to remember, since I remember it being funny in places but struggle to remember the details now.

It was indeed called Mount Bafford. I recall I made a miniature version of the whole scene that made me laugh, like the kind of model of projects people put in lobbies. It was this little village and mountain with this ridiculous massive head at the top of it.

And there were these letters back and forth and laying around as the head engineer was of split opinion. On the one hand, they recognized his demands were physically impossible and he needed to greatly modify his expectations to something more modest, but on the other hand they wanted to keep the money coming in so tried to make it seem like everything was on track and hiding the limits as long as they could... while Bafford kept throwing more money and more ridiculous demands at them and also wanted to make a site visit to see that things were on track, and how they were going to deal with that with a Potemkin head. The whole situation was kind of funny. And I vaguely recall something about a threat to detonate explosives over his face to blemish it as part of a blackmail scheme, and Bafford getting hysterical about it.

I think if I were to come back to it now, I might play him as a Trump kind of character with unending narcissism, with similar kinds of speech patterns and hubris. Like, "Listen, I want the head to be visible for 200 leagues in all directions. And I want beautiful golden hair flowing down the north side. I'm talking about covering the entire slope, okay? It will be a beautiful head and beautiful hair that will look down on the villages and inspire fear and awe among the peasants, okay? If you can't do it, I'll find an engineer that can."

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I feel like I've read somewhere that we have a policy against slapstick/unserious missions. Though I don't think that any mission is complete without at least some comedic relief, as long as it fits the setting. Some of the ideas here could work quite well as little side stories in a mission I would think.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

what is funny in some countries, isn't funny in others, so funny things in fan missions have been missed by people who can't relate to them. although in the uk funny things in one county, ain't funny in another.

Actually president trump wants his face carved onto mount rushmore, even though there isn't any room for it.

Edited by stumpy