The Dark Mod Forums

The power of ReShade

lowenz

We can't re-live our lives, but we can replay some old BAD games.....with a nice visual boost thanks to reshade (and its modded version, like this one retrivieng the depth bugger in Unreal Engine 2.x/3.x games)

*PARIAH (one of the WORST FPS ever :P)

No ReShade

0.jpg

ReShaded! (fakeHDR+MXAO+SSR+Sharpening+FXAA)

1.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Exactly :D

It's the perfect combo to inject some shading power to old games.

*UT2004

UT2004-2019-01-20-22-43-45-384.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Yeah, I use it quite often. A few years ago, I replayed Witcher 1 with some graphics mods and reshade and it was awesome.

(Apparently, the image uploader on this forum has horrible jpeg quality, so you can't really see all the sparpening and details)

post-684-0-58744700-1548071739_thumb.jpg

I also used Reshade to turn GTA V into something that doesn't look like shit.

(By the way, didn't care for the game. I only played it because every kept saying the story was so awesome, but it was more like meeh.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojU5YZfDW5E

And I used a reshade based mod called "Darker D3" in Diablo 3 to make it look a little more like Diablo 2, color-toning wise.

Not bad, even though i'm not a big friend of pimping old games to make them look better.

And GTA V looks shit? Can't really say that. :P Actually, the graphics in that vid look quite shit. Too much reflection and mojo going on. The reality doesn't look like that.

Edited by chakkman

Must be tuned&toned down a little bit maybe.....but guys, it's matter of personal taste!

Deus Ex screenshots on the contrary look very cyberpunkish :D

Edited by lowenz

I must also admit that i like the no reshading screenshots better. Again, though, i'm really not a good measure stick, because i don't have a problem playing with those old graphics in all their... glory... :) It's also kind of a mental thing for me. Nice graphics are nice. But, to say it with the guy from Big Lebowski, the head is the main erogenous zone (or however he said it in English :)).

TDM is a beauty by itself :o

Still we need some kind of (stable & softly blurred) PseudoRayTraced Ambient Occlusion like the qUINT MXAO -> https://github.com/martymcmodding/qUINT

Edited by lowenz

Calm down. The bloom is included in the HD Mod. I use Ambient Light. It just intensifies the closer you get to the light source. When you get a few steps back it goes back to normal. The eye adaptation feature works pretty well in Deus Ex, in Thief is a bit harder to tweak but you're at least able to see shapes in the dark which for me works well in Thief. It's a matter of taste as well, I try to use common sense from my perspective.

If I'm looking directly at a light source while close to it, should be blinding.

If i'm in a room and there's a light source in it, I should be ale to distinguish shapes in the dark areas.

If I'm outside with a full moon, it shouldn't be so dark on the ground.

No Reshade

nf2xc6.jpg

Reshade

2pyckjt.jpg

No Reshade

2s8pjf9.jpg

Reshade

33mackn.jpg

I also use Color Matrix then tweak the saturation to eliminate exaggerated tints in textures.

The Eye Adaptation thing brightens the dark area automatically so perhaps that's why the Image seems birther. It changes when the player moves to a dark corner close to the wall.

No Reshade

fji875.jpg

Reshade

2qyjb.jpg

No Reshade

1o4zh0.jpg

Reshade

28044jt.jpg

If you move further from the wall, more to the center into a bright area the shadows become darker again.

Edited by Taquito.