The Dark Mod Forums

Paralytik's Big Thread of Ambient & Sound (and other things)

Paralytik

Nice ambient.

As you know, you dont have to be a mapper to help with this community.

(check how i can help topic)

Keep releasing those ambience tracks under a creative commons license (and publisching the source), so people can use it.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Yes, it's a well-produced ambient. My suggestion would be to keep the rain sound out of the music, however, because rain in a map is likely to be added via a separate environmental sound, and leaving the music "clean" will make it more widely usable in maps which don't actually include rain.

If you want to get into producing ambient sounds for mappers, I recommend learning about Doom 3 sound shaders and how to make them out of looping sounds (with an optional lead-in which plays before the looping part). If you distribute your ambients as pre-made sound shaders, mappers can just drop them straight into a map without needing to do any extra work.

I wrote a tutorial on how to do this using REAPER, but I imagine the technique for creating a seamless loop in Reason is very different (and perhaps you already know how to do it anyway).

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've been hanging around on these forums for a couple of years, so I kinda know how it works. I've tried making seamless loops in Audacity before, but haven't gotten it to work yet, gonna try some more. Oh, and congratulations on the release of 2.06! The new audio system sounds great!

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

I've now fixed the looping, should loop just fine, and enabled Creative Commons license and download on Soundcloud.

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik