The Dark Mod Forums
peter_spy

Builder Compound Asset Pack – v0.46 (tweaks / new content)

Finishing touches on the door, mostly tweaking the entity def. Can't say I like the pins system much, the default minimum value is takes too much time for my taste. I like the time system from Thief series much more.

Actually scratch that^, I found value that I like for the easy lock, it's just the wiki entry on lockpicking contains misleading information. Lock_pins 0 actually takes longer to pick than lock_pins 1 (around 7 seconds vs. 3-4 seconds). I'll release the new package in a day or two, provided that forums will be up.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 2

Version 0.46 is up

Download link (80 mb)

obraz.png

Tweaks

– Arch door and arch with hinges models have been removed. They were just static models, not actual door entities, and they weren't super useful, e.g. hey couldn't act as visportal closing entity due to gaps and transparent parts.

– Detail texture stage added to selected materials (mostly those you can get very close to). As you approach a surface, you should see a slightly grainy layer that enhances the details.

New content

– Door01 and door01_frame have been added to both models and entities. This is a basic door for this corridor section. By default, it's locked (with easy lock) and AI will notice if it's left ajar. You may want to disable the latter (set ShouldBeClosed to 0) if you have a section with many AIs and doors, as it will probably disrupt AI patrolling too much.
The frame will work with walls that are 16 units thick. Both door and the frame will work with grid of 8 and smaller. You can use the grid of 4 to change the  door position within the frame. Look for grooves in the frame model.

Edited by peter_spy
Typos
  • Like 2

I like it, looks a bit "clean" but will surely do for great builder missions. I hope these assets get added into the next release. :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

FYI, the time between this and next update might be even longer, I'm afraid.

I think this is more or less complete set, in terms of building blocks and setpieces for a corridor that should lead somewhere. Now I need to design at least one somewhere. And that makes me go back to reference hunting, establishing scale and proportions, testing on mock pieces, etc.

First thing's first though: establishing room type and choosing patterns/colors for wall, floor, and ceiling materials.

What's the purpose of the collision material on the stair module?

That works fine for the player, but the AI's feet walk on the collision surface instead of the steps, which can sometimes be 8 above the actual step beneath. Doesn't look right.

Mappers typically use one of two methods:

1. Put a nodraw or monsterclip ramp just below the surface of the steps, so you can't see it, and let TDM place the feet directly on the step above. This works fine for simple steps. (No bull-noses, for example, which present angled surfaces beneath the AI's feet, and can lead to odd stepping behavior on the stairs.)

2. Put a simple set of stepped nodraw brushes just above (+1) the real step surfaces. TDM plants the feet on those. These smooth out the action on more complex steps (i.e. bull-noses).

Yeah, I wanted to minimize the effort on the mapper side. The AI can sometimes looks a bit floaty, but it's mostly unnoticeable.

And for proper pathfinding you don't even need a separate monsterclip brush. All you have to do is to provide a contiguous surface underneath, you can use your sealing geometry for that:

Clipboard02.jpg

• Like 1

Wow this is some REALLY dedicated work you did there! Want to see this in a FM! 😍

• Thanks 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager