The Dark Mod Forums

TDM v.WTF (installation / how to go back to previous version?)

teh_saccade

The information at this page is out of date (moddb link):
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installer_and_Manual_Installation

and appears to be supersceded by this page:
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Installation

That links to the 1st, and also contains out of date links to TDM installers at moddb. First is 2.0 and the 2nd is the first version of the installer, saying to run the updater on the old standalones.

Why isn't there a full standalone updated to use..?

Running the 0.72 updater will update my game to 2.06 (same as before, not 2.07 as supposed to), but for some reason the display is wrecked:

[io error when uploading anything to forum]

https://imgur.com/a/Tv6XkGa

It's the same whether running 32 or 64bit versions.

So, after several failed attempts at updating to 2.07, I can't go back to my old 2.06, either.

How can I go back to my previous version of TDM that works and isn't messed up on the display..?

Edited by teh_saccade

I've removed everything bar the maps, scripts, textures and xd folders, which I guess could be removed also as they are in DR as well.

Every time there's an update, something happens that means nuking everything and starting again... Hopefully it's only the game this time (¬¬)

// Trying again with totally clear TDM folder and only tdmupdate.exe file.

Edited by teh_saccade

Wonder if it is related to this - the menu is kinda similar.
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19871-207-bug-maximized-window-bug/

/*
As a side note to Freyk - the first time I tried to update 2.06 to 2.07, the updater didn't mention that a bunch of the files were locked, as I had DR open. This resulted in an initialisation error when trying to run tdm.exes (for 2.06 [32&64], not 2.07 as expected).

I only noticed when I deleted the contents of tdm folder and win10 reported the files could not be modified as open in dr. The dates of the files were a mix from last year and today, where some had not been updated - There wasn't a mention of this in the updater or the logs, that I could see.
*/

Edited by teh_saccade

The problem was that the cfg files needed to be cleared - they persisted through updates.

The game files were for 2.07, but something about the cfg made the game load as 2.06 and with dodgy display.

When deleting them and booting tdm again, it runs as 2.07 and with default display.

I guess because there weren't any entries for the new video features.

If I copy the old cfg files back in, to restore keybinds, etc... and relaunch 2.07 - the same thing happens.

The cfg isn't read-only.

// Drawing back the sword, pressing escape with the button held, then returning to the game still locks up the weapons through saves.

Edited by teh_saccade

The config file on update, or the bit with the weapons..?

All the other weapons, when you hold fire and press escape - if you still hold fire and press escape again, you can move around the weapon (which is drawn on top of everything).
But with the sword, when you let go, it doesn't complete as the others. No way out. Have to reload a save where it's not stuck.

I thought people knew about that..?

// also, if the updater said, "can't update because files are locked (by DR)" and not copied anything - I would've closed it and run the update without issue first time. No idea why the cfg file is causing problems instead of being rewritten.

Edited by teh_saccade

There's no way for the updater to know which process has an open handle on a file.

But it should have summarized the list of files it failed to update.

EDIT: about the sword issue, I recall someone (I think maybe you?) talking about it, but I don't remember if there was a bug tracker made for it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

EDIT: about the sword issue, I recall someone (I think maybe you?) talking about it, but I don't remember if there was a bug tracker made for it.

There is 4839 about stuck weapons, but it happens in different case an is more serious.

Overall, the number of those "weapon stuck" complains means that something is inherently wrong with sword fighting which makes it easy to get weapon stuck.

If it was done properly, it should always be possible to unstuck by swinging it again.

As for config file, 4797 has been done already, but too late for 2.07.

In future (2.08+) darkmod.cfg won't have bindings in it, so deleting it on update would be safe.

The information at this page is out of date (moddb link):

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installer_and_Manual_Installation

and appears to be supersceded by this page:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Installation

That links to the 1st, and also contains out of date links to TDM installers at moddb. First is 2.0 and the 2nd is the first version of the installer, saying to run the updater on the old standalones.

I changed the tdm installer for windows-link on the wiki, from the old installer on mobdb to the new installer on the tdm-downloadpage.

(@people, can somebody update the installer on the moddb? like the way you did with the updater)

We got three instruction pages that describes howto install TDM: downloads page, installation wiki-page and the manual installation wiki-page.

The "installation" part of the the page "installation" is just a small summary howto install TDM.

I think we need to devide/shuffle the over-the-time collected information on those pages, to make it more userfriendly (for TDM-newbies and non-computertechs).

I'm going to discus this with people.

Why isn't there a full standalone updated to use..?

I think its How TDM being publisched now.

it take very much time and site-diskspace to make a another standalone version.

So users have to use the updater. Or use the full standalone & the incremental updatepackages (to go the desired version.)

I dont work on the tdm-updater.

As people already said, the updater doesnt checks for opened files.

But does the updater need to check for open files, when DR using those files while DR is running?

Running DR and updating tdm files using the updater, Its a standway way of asking for trouble.

Adding openfiles/running application-check would be suffient to solve this.

Just a note that the installer isnt meant (or written) for refreshing/replacing TDM-files. Only for a fresh new install (without an existing tdm folder).

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

That makes sense - was expecting a success/fail report on the copy operation, though. But then, idk how many people would update TDM with the game or DR open to lock those files in use. I guess 7-zip might also lock them.

Wrt weapon stuck: I've never had a weapon get stuck unless I've done it on purpose.

Logged it as minor design/coding. I hope it's only the sword stuck that is fixed. The floating arms are nice: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5001
// the video of it is brightened to be more visible. mind eyes on the menu.

Anderson's one about the sword getting stuck, sometimes having the rat in a mission seems to cause problems all over the place. Cool as it is, having aas_rat in an FM isn't healthy.

Edited by teh_saccade

We got three instruction pages that describes howto install TDM: downloads page, installation wiki-page and the manual installation wiki-page.

The "installation" part of the the page "installation" is just a small summary howto install TDM.

I think we need to devide/shuffle the over-the-time collected information on those pages, to make it more userfriendly (for TDM-newbies and non-computertechs).

I'm going to discus this with people.

It is down to two instructions already.

The "Installation" article now only points to the downloads page.