The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.07-hotfix

stgatilov

Got a crash to desktop using the hotfix. I alerted some enemies and noclipped through a wall (brush). Very shortly after I popped out of the wall and into another area/visleaf the game crashed.

I can't compare it to regular 2.07 because I updated my installation. However, it is reproducible, which I honestly did not expect. I have a crashdump for you here, it's from the first time I experienced the crash. It's rather large and it's available here. Hope it helps.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Got a crash to desktop using the hotfix. I alerted some enemies and noclipped through a wall (brush). Very shortly after I popped out of the wall and into another area/visleaf the game crashed.

I can't compare it to regular 2.07 because I updated my installation. However, it is reproducible, which I honestly did not expect. I have a crashdump for you here, it's from the first time I experienced the crash. It's rather large and it's available here. Hope it helps.

Couldn't load the dump using the steps in the Wiki

@stgatilov?

post-3508-0-08673500-1553874255_thumb.png

• Like 1

Couldn't load the dump using the steps in the Wiki

@stgatilov?

Oh damn!

I was saving all PDBs during all the beta phases.

And now that they are needed for the first time, I forgot to save them for the hotfix build :o

I'm afraid the only way now is to switch to release branch, build fresh binary and use chkmatch to forge signature in pdb :unsure:

Oh damn!

I was saving all PDBs during all the beta phases.

And now that they are needed for the first time, I forgot to save them for the hotfix build :o

I'm afraid the only way now is to switch to release branch, build fresh binary and use chkmatch to forge signature in pdb :unsure:

Do we have a wiki for that?

Why new pdb's won't work simply?

Do we have a wiki for that?

More or less.

It is mentioned on the wiki, just search for chkmatch.

There is a link to the page where it is explained how to use it.

Why new pdb's won't work simply?

I think every time you build something, it has some sort of date embedded, so it is slightly different even if you build same stuff.

PDB files have signature (aka hash) of the binaries they are meant for. If signature does not match, PDB won't load.

The chkmatch replaces the signature, so that specified PDB becomes "compatible" to specified EXE.

As long as you use same sources/compiler/properties, the newly created PDB should be actually compatible, but it depends.

I have just applied this hotfix to a freshly updated 2.07 install, and can report it fixes my lighting issue. My machine isn't AMD, instead it's Intel integrated graphics. Without the hotfix I was literally in the dark -- not blind, but definitely invisible to all AI!

Am not sure what information is helpful for testing: system is Fedora 29, my graphics is described (lspci) as "Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Due to technical issues, I had to rebuild TDM and create another beta package.

Unless something wrong happens, it will become the new 2.07.

Please update as described in the first post, and check that 1) it still works, and 2) old savegames are loaded without warnings.

• Like 1

Hmm...

Not sure if I should bother to stir this up.

If I complete WS5 "iron man" style, and only save before exiting the game will crash to desktop

on mission complete "if I have shadow maps enabled". This is weirdly repeatable.

Once I enable stencil shadows and complete the mission, all subsequent completions with shadow maps enabled

work as expected. I have a hunch that the auto-save at mission finale is looking for some stencil specific attribute

that shadow maps don't offer but once a proper completion is made with stencil mode then shadow maps reuse this data.

It seems like a rather specious hunch since I do not crash on mission complete for other missions "shrug".

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmm...

Not sure if I should bother to stir this up.

If I complete WS5 "iron man" style, and only save before exiting the game will crash to desktop

on mission complete "if I have shadow maps enabled". This is weirdly repeatable.

Once I enable stencil shadows and complete the mission, all subsequent completions with shadow maps enabled

work as expected. I have a hunch that the auto-save at mission finale is looking for some stencil specific attribute

that shadow maps don't offer but once a proper completion is made with stencil mode then shadow maps reuse this data.

It seems like a rather specious hunch since I do not crash on mission complete for other missions "shrug".

Do you have single pass shadow maps on?

Can you get the crash stack trace when running TDM from inside VS2017?

I payed on hard and get a crash on mission completion - did Grayman have an outro and the crash is that being played..?

Do you have single pass shadow maps on?

Can you get the crash stack trace when running TDM from inside VS2017?

Single-pass is not on.

I haven't yet done this in VS2017 but I thought I'd report that the same thing is reproducible in SVN debug with Inlines.

Unfortunately, no informative error happened before the crash.

I'll dig a little deeper.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I payed on hard and get a crash on mission completion - did Grayman have an outro and the crash is that being played..?

Reported this as issue 5030.

Nbohr1more, please copy your findings about reproducibility to there.

I think I've found an issue. AMD users, take a look at the running water in the sewers on "Lords & Legacy". It has artifacts. I'm using a Ryzen 2400G...

How does it look normally? I've tried that mission right now and I can't see any obvious problem.

• 2 weeks later...

A minor note: TDM 2.07 hotfix has been finally released.

The old ("original") 2.07 version is no longer available (except by tdmsync prototype).

To everyone having TDM 2.07:

Please run tdm_update to make sure you have the latest version.

Note that savegames from any kind of TDM 2.07 will load properly in the latest/hotfixed version.

P.S. And please execute r_useFBO 1 in game console and make sure this cvar stays enabled.

can this be set as a default if it fixed this?

It is 1 by default since 2.07 I think

However in 2.06 it was 0 by default and most likely persisted during the update

What does r_useFBO 1 mean

Just an opengl feature we started using recently

• Like 1

It is 1 by default since 2.07. It's better to do full installs of a new version, or at least to delete the cfg, if you upgrade.

This should be the job of the TDM updater then, or we can just remove it if we need a full install anyway.

Edited by wesp5