The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Marsh of Rahena by ERH+ (2019/4/5)

ERH+

29 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Unbearable
    • Poor
    • Averange
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Unbearable
    • Poor
    • Averange
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Unbearable
    • Poor
    • Averange
    • Good
    • Excellent

OK, I was hoping not to have to ask this, but I have hit a wall.

I am stuck

exhuming the bodies

My character makes a 'hmmm' sound which implies that he's missing some kind of tool to perform this operation, but I can't think what.

I figure he's trying to remove the head. My shortsword won't work for that, nor would the crowbar (messy) so I went back into the keep proper, and tried getting a variety of items which could conceivably be used for this task, including the axes and swords from the guardroom, a carving knife and meat cleaver from the kitchens, a saw and shovel from the workshop, but he won't pick any of these up. In desperation, I even went back outside to the guillotine in case he wanted to detach the blade from that. Incidentally, I was amused by his reaction when I attempted to use the cellar key on the body.

Reading other parts of this thread, I notice that there is supposedly a second tool for opening locks, which would explain many of the chests I can't get into. However I can't find suitable tooling for that either.

It may be that the missing tool is suitable for both tasks, but either way I'm out of ideas. This aside, it's been a lot of fun. The mechanic of having to carry the lantern around and put it down when you need to do something else is a little frustrating, but it is more realistic and, AFAIK unique (for DarkMod missions). It adds an interesting twist. I think 'Alone In The Dark' did this too.

Edited by tapewolf

bodies:

maybe there are a bit too many plants around coffins, but right in the middle there is a shovel you can pick.

second "lockpick":

It is a driller, and you can find it down in the cellars, near the entrance - you have to go left behind the double metal doors.

I'm glad you enjoying it. :)

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

second "lockpick":

Ohhh, right. I thought that was an overflow pipe. Thanks! Hopefully that should see me through to the end.

EDIT: ...and finished. It would have been kind of nice to have some kind of follow-up, e.g. an ending video, at least some kind of closure for the story. Not many mods do that, but it's a nice touch for the story-heavy ones.

Edited by tapewolf
  • Like 2

Can I get some help?

I read in the forum above the key to the cellar is at notheast from the castle. I found a halloween pumpkin there but no key yet. Do I need something before going there? I didn't find hints in the two books I have about the location of the key and the castle is too big to search randomly.

Can I get some help?

I read in the forum above the key to the cellar is at notheast from the castle. I found a halloween pumpkin there but no key yet. Do I need something before going there? I didn't find hints in the two books I have about the location of the key and the castle is too big to search randomly.

Next to the pumpkin tree, there is another one with a horse skull, a shed snake-man skin, and on the high branch there is the key you need.

Great mission thanks! I've managed everything except the loot total. Any hints please?

Loot is scattered across whole building, mostly in the living quarters - often in chests, or on shelves in rooms of nobles. I will make the mission's file update tomorrow and increase value of some treasures, then post hints with their location.

Edited by ERH+
  • Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

Thanks. The key never gets highlighted, I'm not able to pick it up. I could climb the tree.

The mission looked promising and I liked the different approach. I might try later the bugfixed version if there will be one.

The key become frobable when you will be told you should search for it, so maybe you need to fulfil some other objective before you can explore the cellars?

S2wtMNl.gif

Enjoying this one, a very atmospheric setting with the seemingly endless marsh and giant castle creating quite a unique mood, while still evoking some of the flavour of classic Thief.

It's a good long mission that builds a quietly sinister tension. My only criticism is:

the overly demanding keyhunt, but that tends to be a fairly common problem in DM and Thief FMs.

Anyway I haven't finished it yet, so I'd better get back down there.

I am about 6 hours into it.

Got the task to

exhume the 5 skulls and do a ritual.

Made it to the

cemetary, but found nothing but 5 candles.

So, I concluded that I need a shovel and crept back to the workshop. To no avail as the equipment there is not meant to be picked up.

What am I missing?

Got the task to

Made it to the

So, I concluded that I need a shovel and crept back to the workshop. To no avail as the equipment there is not meant to be picked up.

What am I missing?

6 hours?? I hope you enjoying it :blink: .

bodies are in the cellars, if you got the key from the tree in the north-east corner of swamp, you can enter the cargo hatch. And there is a shovel too, but you supposed to decapitate the bodies and put the heads on the cementary.

S2wtMNl.gif

Got the task to

Made it to the

What am I missing?

Do you have the cellar key? If not, go and find that. (There's discussion earlier in this thread on that.)

Assuming you have the cellar key, use it (the door is something like what you see in the middle of a ship to access the goods below, not a small door) and go down. Your sneaking abilities will be challenged. Your goal is to get to a corner far away where there are bodies in coffins - the shovel (or decapitation device as noted earlier) you need will be there as well.

Hope this helps!

- prjames

Edited by prjames

New version of the map in the first post.

Tweaked errors in readables, fixed bugs, also few changes in the mission: now second floor have two more entries from the windows, there is more loot, one more secret. Added a short cutscene at the mission end, and a mainmenu custom screen.

I will finish walk-through in the first post this evening.

• Like 2

S2wtMNl.gif

Once I start on day 2, I can play normally for a while, but then the mission crashes with "ID::ALLOC - NO MORE FREE EVENTS". Have had this happen twice after two completely different exploration routs. I am playing with version 7 at expert.

Edited by MVT
  • Like 1

Are you playing TheDarkModx64.exe or, 32 bit version (TheDarkMod.exe)? Does it make any difference?

The icon I use to start it references TheDarkMod.exe. I am starting TDM 2.07/32. I don't know if this choice has an effect on my problem, since I was unaware that there was a 64-bit version until now. How do I switch versions -- just start TheDarkModx64 instead?

The icon I use to start it references TheDarkMod.exe. I am starting TDM 2.07/32. I don't know if this choice has an effect on my problem, since I was unaware that there was a 64-bit version until now. How do I switch versions -- just start TheDarkModx64 instead?

Yes. Just start the x64 executable. We still offer the 32 bit build for 32 bit only OS's but both builds have performance parity on CPUs that support AVX SIMD so x64 is preferable.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

i have a strange problem

TDM crashes while loading quicksaves and savegames for this mission

in version 1.0 it happend while i'm down in the cellar :wacko:

now version 1.1 crashes even in the beginning eg. new game; quicksave ;quickload = crash

i have tried other missions no issues there

i have a strange problem

TDM crashes while loading quicksaves and savegames for this mission

in version 1.0 it happend while i'm down in the cellar :wacko:

now version 1.1 crashes even in the beginning eg. new game; quicksave ;quickload = crash

i have tried other missions no issues there

I hit the same problem: original release, 64-bit TDM, Win8.1. After it started crashing on load, I tried starting the mission anew and it still crashed. I switched to 32-bit and was able to restart the mission, but I can't say for sure that's what fixed it.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Are you playing TheDarkModx64.exe or, 32 bit version (TheDarkMod.exe)? Does it make any difference?

Yes. Switching to TheDarkModx64 made a difference, although the most recent quicksave instantly crashed the same way. I switched to a slightly older save, and things are still working after a good bit of play. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by MVT