The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Marsh of Rahena by ERH+ (2019/4/5)

ERH+

29 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Unbearable
    • Poor
    • Averange
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Unbearable
    • Poor
    • Averange
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Unbearable
    • Poor
    • Averange
    • Good
    • Excellent

I was indeed playing with save files and just updated to mission version 1.1, taken from the downloader yesterday. Is 1.21 compatible with 1.1 saves, or do I need to restart with 1.21 from the beginning.

Saves generally do not work between mission update builds.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm also having issues reloading saves on the most recent version of this mission and TDM. The mission shows version 1.21, TDM is version 2.07/64. Prior to updating the mission, the game would just crash when quickloading a save, but now it errors out most of the way through and gives the error "Event overflow. Possible infinite loop in script."

Is there any extra information I can provide to help debug this?

Are you using saves from earlier mission's version in updated one?

Saves seem to be working now. I just now completely blew away the mission folder and re-downloaded it using the tool in TDM. I must have had old saves littering it previously, so I apologize for the bad info.

Great atmosphere in this mission anyway. I've played through every mission and this is one of my favorites so far.

A brief update on issues:

White compass: please set r_useFBO 1 (either in game console or in darkmod.cfg) and make sure it stays so (comment).

If it does not help, please report to the bugtracker issue.

Loading crashes: there is a way to bump maximum number of events to fix it (link), but I'm afraid it will only be released with 2.08.

For now, deleting the whole FM directory and downloading it again (to ensure you have latest version 1.21) is the better workaround.

• Like 1

New version! (link in the first post)

Some smaller and bigger bugs fixed, but most importantly

now player can choose a pocket lantern and/or loot available for harvesting from the start - in the difficulty menu.

If anyone want to play the mission as in original version (with bugs fixed) it is now on difficult level. Enjoy!

• Like 2

S2wtMNl.gif

First of all, congrats on the release of your mission, it looks awesome with a very spooky atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoy solving puzzles and looked forward to the challange. However, unfortunately, I am unable to continue due to a personal phobia. I really tried, but just can't do it at this time, will probably try again another day. Just wanted you to know it looks like a great mission. Thank you for all your hard work. :)

• Like 1

A bug to report.

I cannot frob a specific piece of loot in the attic. Savegame and video linked.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86gzjmhgqzpmdzx/cant%20frob%20savegame.zip?dl=0

I love this mission and am midway through routing it for video showcase purposes.

Direct messaging and posting this in the thread this to you to ensure visibility, ERH+.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Objectives fulfilled is shown in the video.

This is on hardest difficulty in the newest version.

Edit:

I've narrowed it down to something done between having just read father's diary and after reading the hag's notes.

I've also found another case of this on the save, this stack of coins across the room in the chest.

04b1mHM.jpg

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

When I try to load your save the mission starts from the beginning, and the script responsible for frobable loot looks appropriate for this particular coin stash. On higher difficulty the same script is activated after you read the hag's note on level 2 - on lower it is activated on map start, and it works fine when I'm playing. Could you crouch onto chest, directly above this stash, and check if maybe it is just related to small frobbox?

• Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

• 1 month later...

I've finished the video; it won't officially publish until Halloween of this or next year but to be quite blunt this mission is one even the author is working on a guide for so I figured I'd save anyone here the time and toss you all a very early video.

Edited by V-Man339
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Not a bad FM in the end, overall I liked it.

The environment was its strongest point in my book: I don't think any other FM so far managed to capture a desolate and downright creepy place so well. Some of the areas managed to tickle my phobia of large enclosed spaces (not sure if there's even a term for that).

My biggest issue was that like many FM's, it has a very large map and there's no clear indication of where to go. I think I spent 8 hours in total wandering through the gigantic map, and had to come back to the first post 4 times to see where I needed to go. It became very straining toward the end and I was glad once it was over.

• Like 1

Yes it wasn't designed with the story in mind - I've made a keep and swamp first, then started thinking what could be happening and what could be achieved by the player. I had vague horror clichés in mind as I wanted to make "just a Halloween mission", so story (based on the Peruvian folktale "snake lover") is cramped between existing architecture and objectives mechanics, more as an afterthought than starting point. With many things already in place I was thinking about restricting player's movement and push him through a rat maze, or aim for mood of foggy desert and risk to make it boring.

After all it gave me an idea for making few gameplay styles on the same map by incorporating difficulty levels in different way. Every level would be a story of e.g. different character: one is a thief, one is an assassin, and yet another is a detective. All would take place on the same map with most of elements shared, but objectives would draw the  story from different perspectives.

I'm thinking about using self drawing map for detective's blackboard with trees of clues, suspects, evidences appearing as the player finds muddy footprints, wax stains, ink imprints, etc. I'm thinking here about flash games like The Scene Of Crime or Rizzoli and Isles - Thief is about looking for small objects, and I want to give some twist to it.

Edited by ERH+
  • Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Swedish Taffer said:

Is it just me? :) I cannot get the family objective. I looked at a let's play video, but cannot see what makes that objective canceled. What i have left is that, and find the key and ritual objectives. 

I'm not sure if it changes state to canceled in the very first version of the mission, showed in first walkthrough i've seen. In current version it waits for the endgame cutscene to play and then is checked out. Otherwise the mission would end along with 'heads' objective, before cutscene could even start - in the first version there was no end cutscene.

S2wtMNl.gif

So I just finished this mission and here is my opinion: All in all it was a rather mixed bag! I had the well known quicksave crashes and would have despaired if I hadn't done some hard saves inbetween that luckily always loaded. I played on easy with a lamp so the lighting wasn't much of a problem and the atmosphere was fine. But both keep and marsh are quite big and rather empty and samey looking which I didn't like. Also too often I had to leave the keep for something, get back inside, leave again, get back inside and so forth! This is a lot of wasted time. If you still want to improve this mission I would recommend to swap some elements around so you don't have to leave so often. Maybe link the hag's book to the key so you can get it in one go, as her note in the keep was rather short and I didn't know where all the other info in the quest log suddenly came from anyway! I also disliked the invisible ghosts in the corridors which cost me quite some health. I believe it would be better and look much cooler, if ghost and light were connected to you could see a coloured aura of the ghost slowly walking around! Last not least I had a lot of problems finding the room with the coffins in the cellar and while the shovel is easily visible now, it took a lot of trial and error to position it right to make it work on some of the bodies. And often I wasn' sure if the compass directions were intended for the marsh or the keep or the cellar. You should make this much clearer!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

What do you mean by positioning the shovel? It ment to be picked up into inventory and

Spoiler

used as a key on the heads.

Also, is this save/load crash an actual crash, or is loading screen just freeze when you click it and the progress bar is stuck in one place for a long time? If later, I see something in my other mission and it eventually finishes loading.

In other instance the game crash when the memory (I assume) still is filled with previous session, but after fresh game start the save works fine - so it may be related to mission file size.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif