The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position (2019/05/04)

Bienie

OMG I had to stop playing just to post.

The floor is lava omfg, best mission ever.

And I can appreciate the Dark City reference, great movie.

Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the lava challenge, certainly gives the mission a different feel huh? ^^

Mad props for catching the Dark City reference! Not only did you find the hidden readable, you also had seen the movie and made the connection. Seeing "the void" in Thief I/II and TDM always reminds me of that amazing movie, combined with the fact that it's always night and as the mission maker you are kind of taking on the role of "the strangers"!

There are a few things like that sprinkled through the mission, that most people will never find hehe. (Extra props if you find and recognize the Full Metal Jacket reference ^^)

Edited by Bienie
  • Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Very decent mission Bienie

I am having a little problem with...

.. the bookcase that hides Rawlyn's secret office, I enter the code into the locking mechanism and I hear a click but there is no change to the room.
I have searched for the "small door with the lever that will move the bookshelf away revealing the secret office" but have not found it.
Where is it?

I am playing on MASTER but have tried to find it on ROOKIE as well and there is no difference between the two in regards to revealing the secret office.

I am using version 2.07 with the latest updates.

Thanks for any hint as to what I am doing wrong.

David

• Like 1

Very decent mission Bienie

I am having a little problem with...

.. the bookcase that hides Rawlyn's secret office, I enter the code into the locking mechanism and I hear a click but there is no change to the room.

I have searched for the "small door with the lever that will move the bookshelf away revealing the secret office" but have not found it.

Where is it?

I am playing on MASTER but have tried to find it on ROOKIE as well and there is no difference between the two in regards to revealing the secret office.

I am using version 2.07 with the latest updates.

Thanks for any hint as to what I am doing wrong.

David

When you enter the code into the device the sound you hear is a small cupboard opening on the same desk, in there is a pull lever that will move the bookcase. It's at the top of the desk slightly on the right half of the desk. Hopefully you will see it, but if it doesn't open you may need to reload. It's probably possible for the mechanism to glitch if the correct code is entered and then quickly switched over to the wrong code.

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

When you enter the code into the device the sound you hear is a small cupboard opening on the same desk, in there is a pull lever that will move the bookcase. It's at the top of the desk slightly on the right half of the desk. Hopefully you will see it, but if it doesn't open you may need to reload. It's probably possible for the mechanism to glitch if the correct code is entered and then quickly switched over to the wrong code.

Sorry, but there is no cupboard that opens and there is no cupboard door that can be frobed except for the original upper left, the lower center and the lower left.

I have set the combination to 000 saved the game and restarted several times and there is no change. I even tried to frob the switch through the door, but that no workie either.

Sorry, but there is no cupboard that opens and there is no cupboard door that can be frobed except for the original upper left, the lower center and the lower left.

I have set the combination to 000 saved the game and restarted several times and there is no change. I even tried to frob the switch through the door, but that no workie either.

Ok, it seems that it has gotten glitched somehow, and it's now in your save. I just loaded the mission up but couldn't break it.

If you're sure you are entering 968 into the code lock and nothing happens the only thing you can do is to noclip in behind the bookcase and frob the lever on the inside wall to move the bookshelf I'm afraid. You can hit the key below the Esc key on your keyboard to bring down the console (provided that you have it activated in your shortcut, by adding "+set com_allowConsole 1" without qoutes in the target box), just type noclip in the console to be able to go through walls, go in to the secret office and frob the switch then type noclip in the console again to reset it to normal. The only other option is to replay the mission from start (or an earlier save if you have one).

My Fan Missions:

Ok, it seems that it has gotten glitched somehow, and it's now in your save. I just loaded the mission up but couldn't break it.

If you're sure you are entering 968 into the code lock and nothing happens the only thing you can do is to noclip in behind the bookcase and frob the lever on the inside wall to move the bookshelf I'm afraid. You can hit the key below the Esc key on your keyboard to bring down the console (provided that you have it activated in your shortcut, by adding "+set com_allowConsole 1" without qoutes in the target box), just type noclip in the console to be able to go through walls, go in to the secret office and frob the switch then type noclip in the console again to reset it to normal. The only other option is to replay the mission from start (or an earlier save if you have one).

OK, I will do one or the other.

I should have thought of this myself.

Thank-you

• Like 1

This is a really beautiful and well-rounded mission with plenty of options for entry to the main objective and organic hidden objectives to discover. Not to mention the extra challenges, which I'm going to attempt now that I've run through the mission normally. This is an instant classic, I think.

I haven't found a Full Metal Jacket reference, but I have found a reference to the college antics of a certain Supreme Court Judge.

• Like 1

This is a really beautiful and well-rounded mission with plenty of options for entry to the main objective and organic hidden objectives to discover. Not to mention the extra challenges, which I'm going to attempt now that I've run through the mission normally. This is an instant classic, I think.

I haven't found a Full Metal Jacket reference, but I have found a reference to the college antics of a certain Supreme Court Judge.

Thank you! Instant classic, that is high praise indeed! I'm sure you will find some amusement from the challenges as well.

Haha, I almost forgot about that readable. That shows you how long I've been working on the mission, talk about yesterday's news at this point. If you want a hint for the FMJ reference,

it's actually hinted to in Lt. Froste's journal, the men punished Inspector Farley, which is why he is on furlough. In retrospect I should have probably named him Inspector Pyle or Lawrence. If that doesn't help enough

check under the bed closest to the door in the barracks!

My Fan Missions:

Hi Bienie Thanks for the nice Mission i have finish the Mission bay Lava challenges i have a god time Thanks Thanks Thanks

Greating from Germany Hamburg :D

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the mission, but there is one small bug that I found a bit funny:

In the Rawlyn house kitchen, there is a single nail floating in mid air. It cannot be moved or fobbed.

Edited by MVT
  • Like 1

I love this mission! Great use of horizontal and vertical spaces. Nice city layout. A seemingly never-ending set of optional objectives to find and complete. When I grow up, I want to be able build a mission like this. :laugh:

Thank you Bienie!

• Thanks 1

I love this mission! Great use of horizontal and vertical spaces. Nice city layout. A seemingly never-ending set of optional objectives to find and complete. When I grow up, I want to be able build a mission like this. :laugh:

Thank you Bienie!

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the location of Brooksdale! I will say that as far as building a mission like this is concerned it's not so much complicated as it is time consuming. With a fair handle on Dark Radiabt and a bit of ingenuity to keep the story flowing, most people could build a mission of similar caliber, in my (admittedly humble) opinion ^^

My Fan Missions:

Awesome mission. I love the feel of it, you really feel like you're in a rabbit warren of a city. The mix of verticality and multiple ways

of entry to places really help with the feel.

I have a few problems though.

1. Randolph Warde safe. found the key, painting won't open, the safe door opens through the painting and I can't access the contents of the safe. Had to noclip to get past the painting.

2. There are some serious FPS problems in Geralds place. I was getting down to 19 fps in his daughters room.

3. Can't seem to find the key to unlock Edrics safe. There's no mention of it in his journal.

4. Slight criticism. The way things are arranged in cupboards, is a little too neat to be natural. The same is true for places with dining tables. They are rarely set with dinner services when not being used. Just a tiny thing that sort of breaks the immersion. All other aesthetics though are damn near perfect. :)

5. Warin. You need to set the drop entity in location in the cart, to irreversible. Currently he despawns and the the objective which was completed, is undone.

6. There is still an issue with the sewer which you havn't fixed from the first mission. It's near impossible to mantle out of the sewer back into the toilet. The only

way I found to get out was to noclip. :(

7. I can't seem to find the desk "under" the Smith house. I've tried dropping the Ominous note on every desk I could find, including in Smith house, but none seem to

work. There doesn't seem to be anything in the sewer.

Again, you nailed this mission. So far I've spent about 4 hours in it.

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Awesome mission. I love the feel of it, you really feel like you're in a rabbit warren of a city. The mix of verticality and multiple ways

1. Randolph Warde safe. found the key, painting won't open, the safe door opens through the painting and I can't access the contents of the safe. Had to noclip to get past the painting. Edit: Oh, the painting didn't open at all? It's odd you were able to open the safe door without first finding and pulling the secret book that lowers the painting for you... The safe door was unfrobbable in all of my own tests...

2. There are some serious FPS problems in Geralds place. I was getting down to 19 fps in his daughters room.

3. Can't seem to find the key to unlock Edrics safe. There's no mention of it in his journal.

4. Slight criticism. The way things are arranged in cupboards, is a little too neat to be natural. The same is true for places with dining tables. They are rarely set with dinner services when not being used. Just a tiny thing that sort of breaks the immersion. All other aesthetics though are damn near perfect. :)

5. Warin. You need to set the drop entity in location in the cart, to irreversible. Currently he despawns and the the objective which was completed, is undone.

6. There is still an issue with the sewer which you havn't fixed from the first mission. It's near impossible to mantle out of the sewer back into the toilet. The only

7. I can't seem to find the desk "under" the Smith house. I've tried dropping the Ominous note on every desk I could find, including in Smith house, but none seem to

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm impressed that you have gotten 4 hours of gameplay out of it!

As for your problems:

1. Randall's safe is quite "fragile", seems many players have this same glitch. I believe it is due to pulling the book more than once in quick succession. I'm not sure what could be done about it, but I think there is a spawnarg somewhere that can stop the book from being frobbed again until its process is complete.

2. Huh... that's very strange. I haven't heard this before, nor noticed it myself. I have noticed frame drops in a couple of places in the streets near Heritage Square, due to visportaling being challenging.

3. Edric's safe? You mean where you get the incriminating evidence? There is a hint on his to-do list on top of the desk for that one.

4. I see what you mean. If I had spent time decorating the tables and cupboards by hand all the time they would probably look a bit more natural, but truth be told most of the item arrangements are prefabs. The dining tables as well are all prefab for sure.

5. Yes I have gathered from others that this can happen. I've never had it happen to myself during testing, but an irreversible clause would probably have been better. It's not likely that the player will put him in the cart and then pick him up and move him again before collecting the money.

Edited by Bienie

My Fan Missions:

Thanks for the reply.

As for Randalls safe, no I only frobbed the book once.

As for FPS. Edrics office has really bad fps to, 17. My system is an i7 3.4ghz with 32 gb ram and Nvidea 1070 with 8gb ram. Good

medium system. FPS rates on the mission ranged from 17 to 190. Average was around 60 most of the time. :) There's probably

a couple of visportals not working properly in those places.

Hope you fix the sewer problem, I've had the same problem with that in two missions. Only once have I managed to get out, and

that felt more like I was being pushed out.

Finished, a really fun mission. Really enjoyed it. Thanks. :) Really appreciate all the work you put into it. I loved the idea of

the frustrated tennant giving into to the thieves. lol

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

1. Randolph Warde safe. found the key, painting won't open, the safe door opens through the painting and I can't access the contents of the safe. Had to noclip to get past the painting.

Concerning item 1, I have seen similar problems with safes. Try closing the safe door and opening it again. Often, this makes the contents available for a fob.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

As for Randalls safe, no I only frobbed the book once.

As for FPS. Edrics office has really bad fps to, 17. My system is an i7 3.4ghz with 32 gb ram and Nvidea 1070 with 8gb ram. Good

medium system. FPS rates on the mission ranged from 17 to 190. Average was around 60 most of the time. :) There's probably

a couple of visportals not working properly in those places.

Hope you fix the sewer problem, I've had the same problem with that in two missions. Only once have I managed to get out, and

that felt more like I was being pushed out.

Finished, a really fun mission. Really enjoyed it. Thanks. :) Really appreciate all the work you put into it. I loved the idea of

the frustrated tennant giving into to the thieves. lol

Sorry, I somehow missed your last two points.

6. Sorry you're having trouble with the sewers, I've gathered that there are a few players who find it hard to mantle out of it, that's why I only put it in once in this mission in a non-mission critical area (and skipped it entirely in The Night of Reluctant Benefaction). I will know to not use that setup in future missions, but I will have to build something else from scratch that is more easily navigated.

7. The desk under the Smith house is actually in the alleyway right below his balcony (well right below his kitchen technically). There is a window that is cracked open that is unfrobable, through there you can see the desk. You have to take the note out of your inventory, twist it sideways, and slip it in and drop it to finish the objective. I realize it's too late now, but if you decide to replay the mission (maybe do some different challenges in the astronomer's office?) you'll know how to finish that one.

Glad you got a kick out of Gerald's predicament, I thought that was a perfect thing to have in a "thieves' highway" type scenario! ^^

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

As for the sewer problem, an easy fix is just either leave a hanging climbable rope, or give the player a rope arrow, or an easier way

is widen the area the player can mantle onto. That seems to be the cause of the problem. The lip is too narrow. I really like the look

of the sewer, so rather than redesign it, I think you should just find a way to bypass the problem.

As for Randall. Turns out it's not a problem. I didn't notice the lever to open the painting, but I could pick the safe through the painting which

caused the problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wonderful mission! I loved the new objects popping up all over with small stories connected that made the world seem so alive. Sadly, I got the level-door-not-opening-on-desk bug and had to noclip through the bookcase! Also I think the dropping-note-for-fence objective is much too obscure. Why not make his window frobable so you can enter and actually get a hint that this is your fence's office in the first place?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Wonderful mission! I loved the new objects popping up all over with small stories connected that made the world seem so alive. Sadly, I got the level-door-not-opening-on-desk bug and had to noclip through the bookcase! Also I think the dropping-note-for-fence objective is much too obscure. Why not make his window frobable so you can enter and actually get a hint that this is your fence's office in the first place?

Glad you enjoyed it!

It seems some of the more complex interactions in the mission are bugging out for several people... I'll have to be more careful in designing them in future. It's very strange though I must have tested that thing 20 or 30 times and it never malfunctioned for me.

I do agree that the fence objective is a bit obscure. It was a bit of an rushed job that I added at the last minute. I just kind of liked having to take out the note and twist in to slip it in through the window, but I definitely should have made the drop location more clear somehow. That office is kind of a facade, so I would have to have fleshed it out a lot more if I were to let the player explore it.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

• 4 months later...

Another urban FM I absolutely loved. It was nice to see even more content and detail compared to the first part, including the extra challenges which were an unique idea. Some of the objectives required noclipping or looking at the hints in the first post, and I also experienced the bug where one of the hidden doors wouldn't open. I'm looking forward to seeing a part 3, if and when you plan on creating such a thing... your approach makes for some of the best FM's I've played so far.

Spoiler

The thing that had me laughing most was the Smith guy on the upper floor. When I first entered his apartment I was hiding expecting to be attacked, then I noticed he wasn't reacting to obvious mistakes and when I bumped into him he said hello. I was like "WFT... why isn't this guy attacking me for breaking into his apartment"? Then I read his notes on how he gave up trying to keep the taffers out, it suddenly made sense. It's ridiculous what a nice guy he is, I actually felt sorry for him... made the stolen painting quest even nicer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Another urban FM I absolutely loved. It was nice to see even more content and detail compared to the first part, including the extra challenges which were an unique idea. Some of the objectives required noclipping or looking at the hints in the first post, and I also experienced the bug where one of the hidden doors wouldn't open. I'm looking forward to seeing a part 3, if and when you plan on creating such a thing... your approach makes for some of the best FM's I've played so far.

Hide contents

The thing that had me laughing most was the Smith guy on the upper floor. When I first entered his apartment I was hiding expecting to be attacked, then I noticed he wasn't reacting to obvious mistakes and when I bumped into him he said hello. I was like "WFT... why isn't this guy attacking me for breaking into his apartment"? Then I read his notes on how he gave up trying to keep the taffers out, it suddenly made sense. It's ridiculous what a nice guy he is, I actually felt sorry for him... made the stolen painting quest even nicer.

Thanks for your kind words, though I'm sorry to hear you ran into problems. I've gathered that some of my contraptions were unstable.

Poor Gerald ^^ yeah I had a blast coming up with his story. Glad to hear that you helped him get his stolen paintings back!

Progress on CoS 3 is coming along well and should be released in the spring!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, Bienie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately, I have the same issue. Loving the mission so far, but, the code is just not working for me. Guess I'll have to try the noclip trick...

Spoiler

Edit: stupid me. I just noclipped into the secret room, and it's alright. :)

Edited by chakkman

Just finished this. Awesome mission, I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler

The difficulty was perfect, exactly the right amount of guards, and the right types as well. The story was great, and, it got carried along well with the readables. There was LOADS to do, with the different side missions you could find as well. The map was fun to explore, and the mixture of vertical and "ground stuff" (or however you want to call it) was nice, and, there were many secret places to discover. Overall, the world just seemed "full" and alive. Secret switches and doors were reasonable well to find, just right, I think. 

Again, I have to criticize the voice acting, it just isn't up to the otherwise high quality of the mission. And, I was stuck in the place I mentioned before, which is pretty much game breaking, if there wasn't noclip.

Just some minor issues in a overall great mission. :) I can only recommend to play part 1 of this series, and then this, they really build up nicely on each other. Good stuff.

• Like 1