The Dark Mod Forums

Fighting Glitches - push it to the limit.

STRUNK

But wouldn't it clip through the wall, if the player went back? To change this, you could try to unhide it each time the player enters the zone and hide it again, when he leaves. However, you would need to have a working location setup. This link shows how to set locations up: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings

Ypu would need a script for thus, but there is an example given on the page, that should give you a clue on hiw to do it.

Destined,

you're right, and I have been thingking about it .. but don't need it in this case.

After passing this door it won't open again, for the player has entered the end level.

Maybe if there will be, at the very end a way to go back, and then I could simply use a trigger once at a strategic place, where the player can not avoid it.

The wiki is very interesting though. I'm just starting to get some things done .. but there is so much more to learn. I don't know if working with a lot of triggers is hard on the cpu, but is a very simple and logical way to make things happen, like giant statues firing fireballs : P

I'm fiddling with a security camera now as a trigger for that, but I only need a trigger that triggers on playercontact, above a given visability/lightgem value.

Is there such a thing?

You could also try a trigger_multiple (not sure if this is the correct name; I don't have access to DR right now) that switches the particle state each time it is triggered. As long as it is placed on each entry/exit, it turns the particle on each time the player enters and off each time the player exits. The only problem is that it is also triggered by AI, so it only works if there are no patrols there.

Refarding the security camera: I have not heard of a working setup for that. The cameras are relatively new and so far they can only project a picture to another location. As far as I know, no recignition of the player is possible in that. For your case it might be possible with a script, but not with a simple trigger setup.

Destined,

I have the camera working as a trigger just by selecting it, then selecting the trigger I wanted it to trigger and pressing ctrl + k.

My only problem is that it shouldn't be visible, but there is something on the wiki page I'm gonna try:

"For a camera that's replacing its own view with that of another entity (i.e. a target_null), set the following:

• "cameraTarget" - The name of the entity supplying the view."

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Security_Camera

"cameraTarget" doesn't seem to work, but I figured out a camera can look through the backside/non textured side of a patch, and can be simply hidden in a wall/ceiling/floor or wherever there is enough room to make it fit inside.

This way it's fairly easy to make a security statue or painting : )

What about func _beam:

https://streamable.com/xieqd

Is it only this ugly black "beam" between 2 of these func_beam blocks? Or is there more to it?

Changing the skin has no effect it seems ...

I was looking at an old engine and figuerd if these beams could look as rods it would solve some of the challenges of building somehing somewhat like it ..

https://youtu.be/_g796jbed20?t=446

VanishedOne

I see a choose skin button, but changing a skin there doesn't work.

Tried putting texture names as skin, but didnt work also ..

If you have a way to give the camera a invisable skin, please share : )

What entity type are you talking about? func_securitycamera should be skinnable like any other entity with a static model, allowing the use of nodraw or nodrawsolid materials in the skin def; if that doesn't work it's presumably a bug. [Edit: I see it defaults to security_camera_on, so maybe the entity type is set up to change its own skins with state, and that's interfering somewhere? *checks code* I see some hardcoded stuff: try overriding the security_camera_on and security_camera_on_spotlight_off skins.]

func_beam accepts a "skin" spawnarg that actually needs the name of a material, not the name of a skin. [Edit: did you by any chance try with a material affected by light? I'm not sure whether I ever tried, but I wouldn't bet on beam models accepting light interactions.] See whether this prefab works:

Version 2
// entity 0
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_1"
"_color" "0.00 0.00 0.39"
"origin" "2584 1192 80"
"skin" "textures/darkmod/sfx/colored_light_rays"
"target" "func_beam_2"
"width" "40"
}
// entity 1
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_2"
"origin" "2592 1184 624"
}
// entity 2
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_4"
"origin" "2600 1104 48"
"target" "func_beam_3"
"width" "40"
}
// entity 3
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_3"
"origin" "2592 1152 624"
}
// entity 4
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_5"
"origin" "2584 1264 112"
"target" "func_beam_6"
"width" "40"
}
// entity 5
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_6"
"origin" "2592 1216 624"
}
// entity 6
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_7"
"origin" "2528 1184 80"
"target" "func_beam_8"
"width" "40"
}
// entity 7
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_8"
"origin" "2560 1184 624"
}
// entity 8
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_9"
"origin" "2656 1176 80"
"target" "func_beam_10"
"width" "40"
}
// entity 9
{
"classname" "func_beam"
"name" "func_beam_10"
"origin" "2624 1184 624"
}

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

actually skins go in folder skins

file as MySkins.skin

general skin file for placing new skin on beams

skin skins/beam_white {
_default textures/darkmod/beams/beam_white
}

material

textures/darkmod/beams/beam_white
{
noSelfShadow
noshadows
twosided
translucent
nonsolid
noimpact

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/beams/beam_white.jpg

{
blend add
map textures/darkmod/beams/beam_white.tga
scroll time * 0.2, time * 0
}
{
blend add
map textures/darkmod/beams/beam_white.tga
scroll time * 0.11, time * 0
}
}

to make security camera invisible set its model to '-' and/or skin to '-'

Edited by stumpy

VanishedOne

I'm so noob that I only know how to ad a spawnarg in the Entity Inspector .. so I don't even know how/where to:

"try overriding the security_camera_on and security_camera_on_spotlight_off skins."

"See whether this prefab works:"

: )

If you could introduce me to that, or a page that explains it for dummies, it would be very welcome.

stumpy,

ok .. and how do I do that?

Just make a folder and call it skins, and then put a textfile and paste the code you provide in it, save MySkins and change the extention to.skin?

And then .. can I change the skins in the Entity Inspector, or must it be done with making changes to that MySkins.skin file?

If I shange the "skin" of the func_securitycamera to "-", it is totally black .. and if I change the "model" to "-" I get a warning: "cannot load collision model" ..

So that does't really work.

Anyway, thanks for your reply guys!

If you save the prefab text I posted as a text file in your /prefabs/ folder with a .pfb extension, you should be able to add it to a map in DR with File -> Import prefab...

It should look like some blue pulsating light rays in-game.

If you save this to /skins/ as a text file with a .skin extension it should override TDM's built-ins for the security camera:

skin security_camera_on {
* textures/common/nodrawsolid
}

skin security_camera_on_spotlight_off {
* textures/common/nodrawsolid
}

@stumpy You can give a generic entity a _BEAM model and skin it, true, but then you have to use shaderparms to direct the beam.

I'm playing around with func_activators and found that they can have a spawnarg "set":

"Spawnargs of the format 'set XYZ on ABC' are used to pass along and set spawnargs on entities that are spawned during runtime and then attached via 'def_attach' to the base entity. XYZ stands for the name of the spawnarg, and ABC the name of the attachement or the attachement position. For instance, 'set _color on candle' '0.5 0.5 1' would try to find an entity attached at the point candle and set the spawnarg '_color' on it. This is mainly useful for the pre-made combo entities like moveable and static light sources, so the mapper can influence their appearance."

Is it possible to change the "translate" of a moving_door_sliding with it, and if .. how?

What I would like to achive is to have a moving door (it has a func_emitter and a light bound to it and apears as a a fireball that shoots at the player) that can go (translate) to other end points when, depending on where the player is.

Or is there a better solution to that?

So far there are only 2 points it should shoot at, that are at the same x and z axis.

That might be a case for a multistate mover? http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Elevators,_multi-floor describes the set-up for a lift, but you could get rid of the AAS-related bits (or keep them if AI can reach the area) and make it respond to trigger brushes instead of buttons.

Edited by VanishedOne