The Dark Mod Forums

Compounded Problems

CountMorillonite

I have more than one problem here that needs addressing, but hopefully one solution will help the others. I will start at the beginning.

For some reason "TheDarkModx64.exe" disappeared on me today. I was playing the game yesterday without issue. A shortcut to the game is pinned to the taskbar and I was informed that the file the shortcut was pointing to no longer existed. Nevertheless I did a search throughout my computer for the executable without success.

So I thought I might as well upgrade to 2.07 and maybe that would bring back "TheDarModx64.exe". The installation wouldn't complete however because

"Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package failed to install."

I was prompted to run vcredist_x86.exe from the game directory. That failed as well because.....

"Another version of this product is already installed."

I finally decided to reinstall the game in a different folder but lost all my fan missions & saves (they are there in the original folder).

1. Does upgrading to 2.07 make all the saves from 2.06 unplayable??

2. "TheDarkModx64.exe" shows up in my new DarkMod folder. Can I copy/paste to my old folder??

3. My old folder (with all the saves in the "fms" folder) will play if I run TheDarkMod.exe instead of TheDarkModx64.exe.

But the saves won't load. Is there a difference (other than running 64bit) between the two executables?

I copied "fms folder" over from the old folder to the new folder...same problem (saves won't load)

I copied "TheDarModx64.exe" from the fresh install to the old folder with no change.

So if the Saves from 2.06 don't survive the upgrade, then there's not much I can do except reinstall 2.06 if I can find that version anywhere.

Probably digging myself deeper into a hole here :)

Thx in advance for any advise.

What OS are you running?

Q1. Does upgrading to 2.07 make all the saves from 2.06 unplayable??

A1: Yes. Saves are NOT compatible between releases except 2.07 and 2.07 hotfix.

Q2. "TheDarkModx64.exe" shows up in my new DarkMod folder. Can I copy/paste to my old folder??

A2: If your old folder has different assets to the new folder, the executable may not match them.

Q3. My old folder (with all the saves in the "fms" folder) will play if I run TheDarkMod.exe instead of TheDarkModx64.exe.

A3: Yes, both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions will play and saves are compatible between versions.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

What OS are you running?

Q1. Does upgrading to 2.07 make all the saves from 2.06 unplayable??

A1: Yes. Saves are NOT compatible between releases except 2.07 and 2.07 hotfix.

Q2. "TheDarkModx64.exe" shows up in my new DarkMod folder. Can I copy/paste to my old folder??

A2: If your old folder has different assets to the new folder, the executable may not match them.

Q3. My old folder (with all the saves in the "fms" folder) will play if I run TheDarkMod.exe instead of TheDarkModx64.exe.

A3: Yes, both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions will play and saves are compatible between versions.

OS = Windows 10 Home Ver 1903, Build 18362.145

I transplanted TheDarkModx64.exe to my original folder and the game appears to be working, though it loads 2.07, which you confirmed should not play my saves.

So....my game has returned to me, upgraded from 2.06 to 2.07. The price is a loss of all my saves. That is an unfortunate consequence with DarkMod upgrades and I guess we should all be used to that by now. Whether my configuration is stable, time will tell. My plan will either be to carry on with the original folder (with the copied .exe from the fresh install) and remove the fresh install, or copy the fms folder to the new install so at least I have the fan missions that I have played available to me without having to download them all over again. I'm inclined to take the latter course of action.

Does that sound appropriate? Are there any other files I should copy over to the new install ?

Appreciate your help nbohr1more. Thank you.

Saves from previous versions don't work in newer versions, that's a known thing since forever, basically.

Yes. I realize from past experience that saves don't survive DarkMod upgrades, but the little bit of information I read on 2.07 made no reference to this issue, so I was basically crossing my fingers and hoping that the problem of save transfers had been rectified. Oh well......