The Dark Mod Forums

IT'S ALIVE!

AluminumHaste

I don't think there's any point to following threads anymore. Because on the Notification Settings, the option to get a notification when "someone comments on something I follow" can't be toggled. Neither can the email option, but that one is enabled by default. It says "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled."

I remember that on the old forum software, notifications could stop appearing, especially for long threads like the "So what are you working on" thread. Maybe there is a performance penalty for the feature and that's why it has been disabled?

• 1 month later...

Currently mission downloader is dead again. Where are we at with this? We've had several months and we're still running on a stand in forum, no bug tracker and I still haven't heard any news on what's being done to remedy this?

I understand things take time but we're starting to lose more functionality rather than see things fixed. And it feels like we've had overall less traffic on the site because of it.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 1:40 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella said:

If I was in that situation I would host any feasible service on external platforms, as long as those platforms had the needed features and are cost effective. For example hosting code on GitLab.

That will cut maintenance and risks of data lost.

It sounds like a good idea, but TDM has several interconnected services with a lot of data worth saving. You can put repository somewhere, but what about mantis bugtracker, invision forums, and mediawiki? The bugtracker, SVN, and forums are linking to each other a lot, so losing one of them would mean losing a lot of information about when, how and why something was done. Don't say that GitHub has issue tracker: it is very simplistic compared to mantis, and I bet it won't import all the mantis data in lossless way.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:36 PM, stgatilov said:

It sounds like a good idea, but TDM has several interconnected services with a lot of data worth saving. You can put repository somewhere, but what about mantis bugtracker, invision forums, and mediawiki?

The regular Backups of their content should be made available to the public too.

In general, making the project's source and associated data available to the public drastically increases the chance of the project outliving its current maintainers.
It enables non-maintainers to become maintainers in the majority of possible evente that could make the project becoming unmaintained.

Edited by Abusimplea

I think that the data that matters is the recent one, just in case a recent commit messed something up. The rest irrelevant.

And the bug tracker being highly capable won't matter to me, as I will fix 100% of bugs anyway before developing more. I only need a list of bugs which isn't too convoluted on features and items.

At the same time I would use tags for differentiating critical bugs, suggestions of improvement, and regular bugs. That classification would be good enough for knowing where to start working, further than that I don't see how the bug tracker could help.

Bottom line is that the tooling doesn't matter as much as the process you use behind it. If the process encourages accumulation of bugs, the lack of clarity isn't due to the bug tracker but the strategy.

Types%201.jpg

Edited by Alberto Salvia Novella
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please take a look at the TDM wiki ?

Since this weekend, it has become uneditable. I even changed my password and everything, just to be sure it isn't a technical problem on my side. No such luck. Every single attempt to edit the wiki yields a database error. Have others tried to edit it in the last few days ?

TDM wiki every edit becomes an error.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Petike the Taffer said:

Since this weekend, it has become uneditable. I even changed my password and everything, just to be sure it isn't a technical problem on my side. No such luck. Every single attempt to edit the wiki yields a database error. Have others tried to edit it in the last few days ?

I tried it just now, and got the same error. Thanks for writing about it.

The server is being worked on, so stuff may go up and down. Please be patient ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stgatilov said:

I tried it just now, and got the same error. Thanks for writing about it.

The server is being worked on, so stuff may go up and down. Please be patient ?

Thank you for confirming it isn't just me. It's been this way for me since Sunday evening.

And yes, I am patient. :) If I wasn't, I'd never get my side-projects for TDM done.

8 hours ago, stgatilov said:

The wiki should be working again.

Yes, I have noticed. I'll finish the documentation for the newest FMs.

• 3 months later...

@taaaki@stgatilov

I'd postponed for a year, until recently, asking again for permission to edit the TDM wiki. But though I'm now considered qualified, it's evidently a no-can-do for ANY newcomer to get a new (registered) wiki account. This is either because of a loss of "institutional" knowledge or of actual code or capability during some previous crash/recovery. Needless to say, this situation is not helpful to growing and renewing the TDM community.  (I'm trying real hard here not to have hair on fire.)

Could you folks, as admins, do some research, perhaps reach out to MediaWiki if necessary, and find a solution?

Thanks.