The Dark Mod Forums

Free roam mission suggestion

ClearVall

Okay, so, I love rope arrows. No. I LOVE rope arrows. So freakin awesome and freedom-giving. I love this stuff.

All I want is a big mission, in which you have dozens of places to use this, not 1-2 roofs, where you get up once to get into the bank and after that forget about ropes at all. Can you guys suggest me a mission with such a freedom? If there not only human enemies, but also monsters / ghosts - that would be even more awesome.

Thanks!

Edited by ClearVall

The first mission in No Honour Among Thieves has a fair amount of rope arrow use and some monster types.

free roam missions are not easy to make, you can't keep the player out of area's that have objectives that get you there via a linear storyline. Like doors that can only be opened by a specific key that only appears in a linear way with objectives pointing to it. All doors have to be pickable. You need to leave readables around a map that point at hidden objectives that either trigger an objective to appear or the objective only appears after you've completed to objective the readables point to. You can't spawn in objects or only make objects interactable when a objective is discovered. For a free roam map there needs to be multiple ways to get to different locations in the map, either at street level, sewer level, roof level, or somewhere between street level and roof level, either high up walkways on the sides of buildings, made of either steam pipes, dead steam pipes, drainage systems, or inside buildings like vents.

Nobody said that free roam missions have to give players access to absolutely everything from the beginning. That's rather boring, actually. Other games gate content too. Some doors or containers can be unpickable, some gates or entrances can only be operated by a remote, story-related switch. Some items can be hidden at start, as long as you can convince the player that someone got into a place and "left" them there at some point. Some openings, like vents, may require a special master key to open, so you can have a semi-linear map that slowly opens up to the player, as they get more items, metroidvania style. These items can be story related too, so you can link story progress to the amount of areas player can get to, etc. etc.

Edited by peter_spy

Maybe the most ambitious free roam mission is Behind Closed Doors, the first mission for the Crucible of Omens campaign.

It's massive and sprawling, but it also has countless tiny places on roofs, through windows, and down alleys that you can clamber and scramble and wiggle into.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.