The Dark Mod Forums
Destined

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Hi all,

I think some of you might be interested in "A Plague Tale : Innocence". It is mostly stealth based, although the stealth system is quite linear and unimaginative. You usually know exactly what the game wants you to do. Instead, it focuses more on the story, which is quite interesting, in my opinion. If you like games like "Uncharted", but in a medieval setting, you might like the game.

That looks pretty darn awesome actually. Since I'll never have a PS3 or any PS-system I'd have to hope they eventually port it to PC.

It is already on PC, came out the same day as the console ports. It's not entirely stealth, but there are some pretty interesting concepts.

I find it best to compare it to Velvet Assassin - it's linear and you cannot save at any time (it saves at a checkpoint, making it frustrating to reach one checkpoint to another without being detected or killed).

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

I am playing at normal difficulty (on PC btw. but with game pad) and it was not that hard so far. I did die a couple of times, but it was mosly carlessness. Oh, one setting that makes it a bit more difficult is: I turned off the aiming help (there is still some, but it is far less pronounced).

I like that the protagonist uses a sling. It makes the implementation of different ammp types more realistic than with a bow. Not sure if a sling was ever considered for the Thief games, but was discarded in favour of the bow. Does anyone know something about that?

This game is supposed to be the "Last of Us" for the PC as far as story telling and emotional bonding is concerned. I've been excited for this game for quite some time, but didn't find the time to play it, yet.

I have played The Last of Us only up until half of the game (I was told I have been at the point when the story got really interesting), but unfortunately my living community dissolved at that time and I have never gotten to buy a PS3/4 myself (mainly because I would also have to buy a fitting TV, as well). It is still one of the games that is quite high on my priority list.

Thus, I cannot really compare the two emotion-wise, but the gameplay is similar regarding sneaking. If I remember correctly The Last of Us also usually had one "correct" path while sneaking. But I believe that Plague Tale is less forgiving in that combat is way harder than in The Last of Us. You are "only" a teenage girl against trained knights, after all.