The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duzenko

Gamma correction, re-revisited

Gamma poll  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 'dark' picture in post 4 too dark?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is the 'bright' picture overbleached?

• Yes
    • No

Is everyone happy with the current state of rendered picture frames?

There is an option to do our rendering in sRGB color space but it will probably lead to revisiting and tweaking default light intensity.

Anyone interested in some RnD?

It might even deprecate the need in ambient shader brightness override, global gamma ramp adjustment, bloom. Maybe reduce color banding and even get close to HDR.

On the other hands it's likely to shift light gradients in or out, and lead to light texture tweaking.

That is a good question, I'm personally happy with the way TDM (and idtech 4 ) renders picture frames, i must say that the reason I still return to mess with idtech 4 after trying Unity, Esenthel and Unreal 4, not really in that order, is just that to me, its images look so clean and well constructed, compared with other engines (specially those based on deferred rendering) that make the render look slightly blurry and over bloomed/bright, but i'm not personally against trying any other color space and I would be happy to help in any way I can, even tho my time is limited. 

As long as it doesn't change anything in how materials look, sure. Wouldn't go too far with HDR efforts though, such displays are still not a mainstream thing. IMO it would be great to do away with light textures for intensity at some point, switching to math formulas (locking the light resize box), and leaving texture slots only for projections.

• Like 1

Played some with this

It seems like a good replacement for shader-level ambient crutch-up like I did way before with r_ambientMinLevel

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Q: How is it better than r_gamma?

A: It only affects the 3D world. Other system windows, 2D and GUI remain un-bleached

Q: How is it better than r_ambientMinLevel?

A: The latter cvar only applies to ambient lights (and arguably makes small ambient lights ugly). This alternative works with all lights, and accurately does additive blending on them. We should probably drop r_ambientMinLevel completely as it's a worse option and clutters the shader code.

Q: What about color banding in shadows?

A: Regret it's still there, and it might be the only deterioration compared to r_ambientMinLevel. On the other hand we can now use extended range framebuffer formats (e.g. 10 bit per color channel vs. 8 bit) to work around that.

Q: What about non-light materials, such as environment cubemaps, emissives, etc?

A: It probably does not make sense to apply this color correction to them as it would break existing missions. Total assets rebuild is not something anyone wants.

Q: Lightgem?

A: Not affected.

Q: But r_gamma allows me to tweak the correction to the level I'm most comfortable with. Do I have the same options with sRGB?

A: No. The sRGB values are fixed and cannot be adjusted AFAIK.

Q: What is gamma again and why do I need to bother?

A: It's all about your monitor. All monitors produce different picture. You obviously run TDM on an LCD that, theoretically, has nothing to do with CRT's non-linear input/output curves. In the end, it all boils down to your own perception - is the picture too dark or bleached out? (See the attached pictures) Toggling this option should give you some control over that.

• Like 1