The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Perilous Refuge by Dragofer (2019/09/10)

Dragofer

I like to think of that as a little murder mystery for players to find... not even I know the circumstances. Maybe he just stumbled over a loose plank in an unfortunate way?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good mission with abundant creepy details. It has the right amount of challenges. Thanks.

A hint for those who search a secret opener for a certain door after getting a message you need to find another way: that's not a door.

Spoiler

The haunted house was better than I expected. The game desperately needs ghost models because there are many similar scenes where they would fit better than zombies and skeletons. However turning the dead thief to  a zombie with his original model is cool and I don't remember seeing this in dark mod yet.

There is no need for a warning to find another way around the kitchen area. We learned in dark mod, doors without handles don't work. The message is rather confusing because the player might waste his time to find secret switches. I thought the dowry is behind that door and the one next to the closed tresure cabin. But I think it was in the chest under the floor what I found far earlier. If this is true, the hint the dowry might be close is deceptive because it's not close to the player who doesn't know the exact floor map and has to go around. I searched secret switches in that area a lot as well.

I didn't understand why there is a red light source from the hidden chest.

• Like 1

Posting this here early in honor of that mapper whom I believe I have the closest relationship.

Hope it helps anyone in need.

Edited by V-Man339
  • Like 2

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Certainly a great mission, I've really enjoyed playing it (masterful the spooky mansion)
But I have a small complaint about the strange behavior of the light in some places, especially in the warehouse.
Turning off the light increases the level of visibility instead of decreasing, as would be more logical.

JRlTtaE.jpg

Turning off the light

aFUOXBo.jpeg

Same behavior in other sites of the map. Can anyone else confirm this?

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

@Gerberox

Spoiler
Spoiler

There is no need for a warning to find another way around the kitchen area. We learned in dark mod, doors without handles don't work. The message is rather confusing because the player might waste his time to find secret switches.

Before I placed the warning I had reports of players swimming all around the hull trying to find a way into what they believed was an extra room between the galley and the hold, so both ways are problematic. The main reason that door's not openable is because I didn't want AIs to walk around there because of potential pathfinding problems - should probably just find a technical solution that makes it possible for AIs to go in there without getting stuck.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:27 AM, Gerberox said:

Just a small spooky unnatural light to complement the other creepy stuff that for some reason is in that chest.

@Zerg Rush It's intentional that when you switch off lamps that the moonlight coming in from windows becomes noticeable, but it looks like the moonlight levels are a bit high - each window in fact has multiple different lights in order to illuminate the surroundings in various ways, so might be that they stack up to become too bright in some cases.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the increase in light when turning off the lamp is certainly not very logical, although I think that it is not something that influences the gameplay too much taking it into account. The mission as such is impeccable, this little bug aside, but it seemed important to report it, maybe for un future update.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 2 weeks later...

What a great mission! I was expecting something short and focused on one topic/location, so the density and variation of content was a very pleasant surprise. The creepy house and the kitchen secret were especially excellent and helped the overall atmosphere. It felt not only sinister, but also kind of hopeless, which I never really got from other missions that I played. Quite often even in missions where the topic is kinda heavy the point of the mission is that you have some agency to influence it (like the Painter's Wife), whereas here you just explore and rob people and watch all the bad stuff that is happening or going to happen around you. I'd like to see more of that in the future. 

The very end provided an unintentionally hilarious counterpoint when right after getting the message about what happened later that night together with some creepy music, the weird-ass "mission completed" jingle started playing, completely ruining the vibe. Well at least the final impression wasn't depressing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1