The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Saint Mattis by joebarnin (2019/09/10)

joebarnin

NICE starting cutscene! Perfect music and audio propagation (EFX reverb!) Very good voice acting!

And the classic Thief "objective update" sound ?

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Umm, I'm going to object to having the pk4 and the map named "heart".

We already have "Heart of Lone Salvation". Its pk4 is named "heartv2" (and probably v1 was just named "heart") and its map file is named "heart".

So, for people like me, who keep copies of *.map and *.script files for reference and debugging, I'm not going to be able to have 2 map and script files named "heart". It's either one or the other.

I suggest that you re-release this with a different filename: perhaps "heartmattis" or something similar.

2 hours ago, grayman said:

Umm, I'm going to object to having the pk4 and the map named "heart".

We already have "Heart of Lone Salvation". Its pk4 is named "heartv2" (and probably v1 was just named "heart") and its map file is named "heart".

So, for people like me, who keep copies of *.map and *.script files for reference and debugging, I'm not going to be able to have 2 map and script files named "heart". It's either one or the other.

I suggest that you re-release this with a different filename: perhaps "heartmattis" or something similar.

Done. The new pk4 is up on Dropbox, and I changed the link in my original post. The pk4 is called 'heartstmattis' and files have been renamed to this as well (e.g., .map and .script files).

Wow, Joebarnin, that was a great mission. There's a lot going on here and it was fun to explore every little nook and cranny.

I found 3353 loot and 3 of 6 secrets: 

Spoiler

The secret room with the rats, the dagger stuck in the big builder hammer, and the gem on the ledge down to the tombs. 

I was able to complete all of the optional objectives except for finding all of the loot.

This was one of the harder missions to figure out how to unlock everything, but there were plenty of clues if you took the time to look.

I felt kind of bad...

Spoiler

...taking the ring away from the rat. Like I was stealing his little treasure.

Thank you very much for taking the time to create this FM. I know how much work you mappers put into them, and I truly appreciate it ?

Edited by Kerry000
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah snap congrats on the release! Got the day off and was about to go for beta5 and saw this.

It was fun to test just wish I had more time to contribute. The mission definitely captures the essence of taffing at its finest.

The story, voice work, architectural lay out, and especially that intro, all golden!

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

This has been added to the in-game Downloader.

I'll need to add a 2nd screenshot for the mission screens to work (once our missions page is fully working..)

Edit: Added the 2nd screenshot

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

11 hours ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Ah snap congrats on the release! Got the day off and was about to go for beta5 and saw this.

It was fun to test just wish I had more time to contribute. The mission definitely captures the essence of taffing at its finest.

The story, voice work, architectural lay out, and especially that intro, all golden!

Jedi - Thanks again for your testing, especially highlighting the performance issues. Let me know how the released version performs inside the cathedral. 

• Like 1

Wow, the atmosphere in this was incredible!

Spoiler

Those floating weapon ghost things were...absolutely the most terrifying thing ever.

I never did find the key to the first footlocker in the storage room though...and evidently I missed 1000 gold worth of loot.

Favorite parts were the little good deed objectives...the ones I uncovered at least were helping Molly out, the widow's ring, and dropping the purse for Billy's apprenticeship.  Maybe that makes up for stealing from the dead :)

I did find a very minor modeling glitch in the back of the cathedral where the window model's pillar is...obviously "empty".

Spoiler

heartstmattis_2019-09-11_21_52_23.thumb.jpg.929d96b5bed59c8b170dda3932ef3cab.jpg

And finally

Spoiler

I got really confused in the acolyte room with the unreadable journal on the bedside table...thought I was missing some big storyline, but now that I think about it, that might just be a standard open book skin ? oops.

Edited by krrg
Forgot half the post.
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, joebarnin said:

Let me know how the released version performs inside the cathedral. 

Ran beautifully on my P.O.S. computer. Lowest frames I got inside the cathedral were 28-31fps; no noticeable slowdown. Those doors at the bottom and tops of the stairwells helped tremendously too.  And that's with everything cranked to high.

Bravo! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Unfortunately I can't finish this mission as it continually crashes after taking the heart....

----- idImageManager::EndLevelLoad -----
WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/mcity/mcityplain6
WARNING:Couldn't load image: alembic_grey
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/props/textures/candle_a_redheart.dds
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/wood/panels/panel_vase_painted_white_ns
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/props/textures/vic_diningchai1_local
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/props/textures/
WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/rivet_strip01_s
WARNING:Couldn't load image: tdm_tongue
    0 purged from previous
  209 kept from previous
 1527 new loaded
all images loaded in  20.8 seconds
----------------------------------------
----- idSoundCache::EndLevelLoad -----
149489k referenced
 3648k purged
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_cathedral_main' (#261)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_cathedral_lower' (#311)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_forge' (#312)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_outside' (#313)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_tunnels' (#314)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_sewers' (#315)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_vestry' (#316)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_attic' (#317)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_vents' (#318)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_forge' (#319)
Loading EFX effect for location 'location_mausoleum2' (#320)
sound: found efxs/heartstmattis.efx
-----------------------------------
 25732 msec to load heartstmattis
interactionTable generated of size: 131072 entries
------------- Warnings ---------------
during heartstmattis...
WARNING:Couldn't load image: alembic_grey
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/props/textures/
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/props/textures/candle_a_redheart.dds
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/props/textures/vic_diningchai1_local
WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/wood/panels/panel_vase_painted_white_ns
WARNING:Couldn't load image: tdm_tongue
WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/rivet_strip01_s
WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/mcity/mcityplain6
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_doublevision' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guienter' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guiexit' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitarmor' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitflesh' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_skipcinematic' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportexit' using default
WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportstart' using default
WARNING:idFileSystem::OSPathToRelativePath failed on
17 warnings
VertexCache static vertex buffer uploaded, memory used: 25335 kb
VertexCache static index buffer uploaded, memory used: 4488 kb
Switching to EFX 'location_tunnels' (#314)
Restarting ambient sound snd_tunnels'(eerie02_loop) with volume -7.293525
haveHeart
heartOn
Quicksave_0
signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 1
Trying to exit gracefully..
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
WARNING:Door DoorWardrobeA2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door DoorWardrobeB2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door DoorWardrobeB1 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door DoorWardrobeA1 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door sarcophagus_door is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door mover_door_monet is not within a valid AAS area
ModelGenerator memory: 39 LOD entries with 85 users using 20311 bytes, memory saved: 47126 bytes.
WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)
--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
Shutdown event system
--------------------------------------
shutdown terminal support
About to exit with code 0

Edited by peispud
typo

10 hours ago, joebarnin said:

krrg - thanks for you comments.

D'oh! Good catch. If I ever do version 2, I'll fix that.

If you do, take a look at the brushwork around the back door too: there's a visible gap.

Solid sneaking apart from that detail! Though after the

'reset' on purifying the Heart, it ended with me spawning in a load of gas arrows to knock everyone back out, because I'd already done it properly the first time around. Someone noticed the open display case too and began a search, so it all ended in complete chaos with bodies piled up in the nave.?

Edited by VanishedOne
  • Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

VanishedOne

My first idea was, after the cleanse, to have the builders returned in the position/state they were previously in. So if you had knocked them out, they would come back knocked out after the cleansing. That proved difficult to do - if they were laying on the floor then they would often fall through the floor or clip scenery in weird ways when I teleported them back. So I decided to restore them as they were at the beginning of the mission (and then explained it away in a readable). Maybe I could have provided some additional arrows for this eventuality?

At least the lights remained doused, if you doused them the first time. ?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, duzenko said:

Might not necessarily be a map bug

Could you start a new thread with this bug report?

Done. I was enjoying this mission. I hope this isn't a new thing with the Linux version of Dark Mod. Sound has been problematic for some time now. Linux Mint and Manjaro are the only distros that give me working sound as it is. So far this is the only map that crashes outright.

• Like 2