The Dark Mod Forums
kano

Anyone else think that killing an AI should make more sound?

I don't mean sound for you the player to hear, I mean sound for nearby AI's to hear. They don't seem to be sensitive enough when one of their nearby comrades is slain, as long as they don't actually see it.

One example of this is on the new boat mission. I killed an AI sleeping in their quarters while someone was walking through the hallway and the AI out in the hallway didn't notice. If this were Thief, they definitely would have heard the sound.

Thoughts? I know that this is regarding game balance and is thus very difficult to get right.

The scream AI make when killed propogates to nearby AI.  I don't recall if sleeping AI make that scream though. 

Ah, okay, maybe that's it, then. One of the things I always loved about Thief was the huge difference in reaction of guards to a small sound vs a sudden huge noise made by the player. You would literally scare them if you e.g. landed on tile hard or hit a door with the sword and they previously didn't know you were there. Nice attention to detail.

I confess I was a door basher when I was young. It was the first thing I did if I didn't have the key and the lockpicks didn't fit.

Edited by kano