The Dark Mod Forums

No Training Mission or Other two mentioned missions after Linux download

Rootus

Hello, I just installed TDM and have never played it. I read on the website that we are encouraged to play the training mission and the two other missions that are supposed to come pre-installed with the download. I select new mission and it says i have no missions installed. I go to Load/Save missions and there are non in that list either. I selected the download missions from server option and the training mission is not in that list either. There are many packages/folders downloaded in my TDM folder. Is there a place to look quickly for the training mission?

I'm surprised no one has gotten back to you on this. I can't help you with a build Linux, but in Windows there is a FMS folder in your TDM folder. This is where all the missions are. If you have nothing in there then that's why no missions are appearing. The training mission should be in FMS in a folder called training_mission with a file called training_mission.pk4.

If you are having issues with downloading missions, a dev should perhaps offer a way to figure out if you can reach certain servers, etc. That's not something I'm up on.

To be honest you really don't need to play a training mission. If you are a fan of the Thief games, TDM plays so amazingly close to that style that it's almost like dusting off Thief Gold again.

Just to elaborate a bit more: in order to play a mission, it must not only be on your computer, but you need to additionally tell the game that you want to play it. So, after selecting "New Mission", you should see a list on the rightern side. There you can select the mission you want to play and then select "Install Mission" on the bottom right of the window with the mission's description. You should get a message that TDM will be restarted now and it restarts (this is a relic of old times and is quite hard to fix, so we have to live with the restart). Now you are able to play the  mission (i.e. the mission is installed). It now ocurs to me that the name "install" is maybe a bit confusing here. The Load button is only available after you actually have saved and only saves for the currently installed mission appear there. If you have no missions appearing in the list, TDM cannot find the missions. There should be a folder called "fms" (short for fan missions), which should contain the folders "training_mission", "newjob" and "stlucia". These are the missions that come with the mod (if I remember correctly).

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

To be honest you really don't need to play a training mission. If you are a fan of the Thief games, TDM plays so amazingly close to that style that it's almost like dusting off Thief Gold again.

While I agree that TDM is very similar (e.g. Light Gem, noise on surfaces) and you will be able to play without much trouble if you know the old Thief games, there are some differences. As a consequence, people often complain that something does not work, when in truth it simply works differently than in Thief. The first example that comes to mind is lockpicking: it can be set to work automatically (as it did in Thief), but it is actually a small mini game in TDM, in which you have to listen to a series of clicking sounds and time your action right to open the lock. So, I would play the training mission, just to know which differences there are compared to Thief.

rootus, have you set your folder permissions? please give yourself and everybody the permission to write in the tdm folder. after this, run the tdm-updater to be sure.

the trainingmission and another mission are already included. (after sucessfull run of he updater) sometimes on windows/linux will the missions been seen after the permissions have been set. 

more info:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installer_and_Manual_Installation#Linux

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

TY to all for replying. sorry i have not gotten back till now. while i was waiting for my email to get validated, i removed TDM and reinstalled step by step from the wiki and was successful. Since then i have been lost in everything TDM and forgot about my post. I am a noob to linux, stealth games, thief, and TDM. (i have played assassins creed but this is more interesting).I am a terrible at gaming but TDM absorbs me. I am teaching myself about linux and wanted to learn how to do things like install games manually. i probably did not do things just right when manually installing the first time. Now im afraid ive spent more time exploring TDM than linux CLI. 

thanks to all 

Edited by Rootus
syntax

1 hour ago, Rootus said:

(i have played assassins creed but this is more interesting)

Amen to that! Assassin's Creed is fun, but compared to real stealth games like Thief and TDM it is really easy. I am glad that you like TDM and wish you a lot of fun with it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fully agree. Its a gift that keeps on giving. i dont know if i will ever catch up and be current. The opportunity for exploration is endless since i have only known about TDM for a less than a month. i kind hope i never fully catch up...