The Dark Mod Forums

Missions server is down

Yes, there are mirror servers at the side of tdm server side. (for the missions, i dont know) 
But I prefer more is,  adding an link to missions misdion server on a mirrorlist outside tdm.
(like tdm-mirrorlist of the updater)
are there any mission servers? 

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

By the way:

There was a temporary problem while delivering your message to team@thedarkmod.com. Gmail will retry for 46 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

And I'm not receiving new email notifications for new messages in this forum, so probably the email server is down too.

Oh boy, what is this now? @taaaki is definitely the person to contact in this regard. Let's hope he drops by soon. He is usually pretty busy, so it might take some time.

In the mean time, I will try to upload my personal mission repo somewhere so you guys can at least keep on playing. ? It is a bit outdated, though. (January 2019)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zero_3 said:

Oh long Johnson ?

My favourite all time game is half working oh please great Cthulhu and fellow admins fix this asap, it's heartbreaking (just switched over to Linux and having a clean empty install of Dark Mod ?).

It is very annoying that the server is down for sure, hopefully we can get it back up and running asap.

A hot tip is to look at the individual fan mission topics, as the OP often includes some mirrors where at least some of them should be up. If you need your taffer fix ;)

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Taaaki is on it, but it might take a while.

As I said earlier, I am uploading all FMs upto January 2019 to google drive right now, which will take about 2 more hours to finish. You can already access them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qAI6t6nY-M9sAEp10mgQoAEJkwEf--Yy

I had all those FMs unzipped so I had to zip/pk4 them again. I hope there are no technical issues with these.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would be simpler and more robust to put the missions on cloud storage (I've read good things about backblaze.

And there are amazing clients for uploading and managing the bucket (https://cyberduck.io/)

As I mentioned in another thread, donations could be considered for infrastructure costs. Springheel stated it's more of a manpower issue, my suggestion shifts it off someone having to manage a server.

This post seems to imply, that backup mission servers exist. The game just does not use them.

Servers going down is a common cause for community projects to die. Making the infrastructure easily forkable is one of the steps, that drastically increase the chance of survival.
This time the one (and only?) hardcoded server might come back up. But please also make mission download locations configurable by text file like already done for the updater.

• Like 3

If the main server is reliable, and easy to reinstall, that isn't needed.

For example you can have the home folder in a different cloud drive than the system, and a script with all the installed software. So in case of breakage you only have to reinstall the system drive, and run the script for having the same software installed in ten minutes. The server is up again in an hour.

• Like 1

So as a noob here i was definitely disappointed to see that the server for downloading missions is down for now, but i would like to say to any newcomers like me that are perusing the forum that i am able to find mission downloads by keeping an instance of the list of missions one one tab and the forum in another and doing searches. Some missions have download links a the beginning of the missions page. Since i am terrible at this game, but moderatley addicted, i have found that i have been able to find hours of game play that i have not completed yet. Hopefully the server will be up soon but i am still getting a fresh "fix" of TDM since i am so far behind.

• Like 1

UPDATE: As of November 12, in-game mission downloader works again. No tweaks/hacks required.

The game has an option to store FMs on mirrors. I'm pretty sure all of them are located on mirrors. However, the game itself has no way to learn about new missions and their locations, except for ask someone else. That's why when you click "Download Missions", TDM downloads an XML file from one of the URLs stored in cvar tdm_mission_list_urls, which serves as a catalogue of all FMs available. By default this cvar points to the location on thedarkmod.com, which is not available now. So while all FMs are located on mirrors, right now TDM does not know how to get them.

I have all FMs from January 2019 locally. I have reconstructed the XML file from them, and uploaded everything to my Azure storage. If you point TDM to it, then in-game downloader will work. There are two ways to do so:

1. Execute:  tdm_mission_list_urls http://tdmcdn.azureedge.net/fms/missionList.xml   in game console. Then click Download Missions, and it will use my catalogue of FMs. The downside is that TDM won't remember this, so you will have to run this console command every time you restart TDM.
  2. Add   +set tdm_mission_list_urls "http://tdmcdn.azureedge.net/fms/missionList.xml"   to command line parameters of TDM. You can do it by taking or creating TDM shortcut on desktop, then going to its properties, and adding the underlined string after TheDarkModx64.exe. The downside is that you should not forget to remove this parameter when the TDM server is back online.

Note that this is only a temporary emergency solution, and it suffers from some issues:

1. Mission details and screenshots won't work. They are stored only on TDM server, so I have no way to reconstruct them.
  2. Release date is missing. Titles may be wrong/weird.
  3. Localizations are missing. Perhaps I can upload them too, but I tried to keep it simple.
  4. Sometimes you are allowed to download an FM you already have. This is caused by some TDM deficiency IMHO: the codenames are obviously matching.
  5. Some FMs may be outdated, recent missions are not available (the snapshot is one year old).
  6. Download speeds are not very good. Clouds are slow. So be patient ?

P.S. If you use this way, then you will download FMs from my storage, and not from the original mirrors. I would be glad to point you to the mirrors, but I can't: their locations are stored in the XML file which went offline ?

• Like 3