The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurshok

Playstation 1 Classics Nostalgia.

I just finished the PS4 Remake of MediEvil. Full run, unlocked classic graphics version. And now I'm full of nostalgia from my happier childhood times playing the PS1. I have ps4 Oddworld, but am going to buy the dlc mission for full story before finishing, which will require save scumming for me, knowing my skills. I also full finished Spyro Reignited, so I feel full of childhood nostalgia. Reminds me of Team Fortress 2 map "Deathrun Playstation", all this nostalgic happiness I'm feeling, it's like being on the gas at the dentist. I'm going to take a walk, it's still early and I was born on October 11, so I'm feeling extra nostalgic-drug-daze from how beautiful the day is. Just wanted to share my happiness.

• Like 1

Legend of Legaia (a JRPG) is one of my favourite games for the PS1. Recently finished the second part (for a second time) for the PS2, which wasn't as good as the first, but still very enjoyable. The first part I've finished probably close to ten times and I still come back for more. It can be a bit grindy at times, but I love the story and it has a deeper meaning to it if you're willing to think that far. The battle system is quite unique, as you enter directions and if you enter the correct combination you perform arts, super arts and/or hyper arts. After an X amount of levels you have space for more directions, which leads to more complex and stronger arts and you can even combine arts.

The first Spyro I also enjoyed a lot and I still remember the frustration but then after the joy of finding all the treasures. Oddworld, Syphon Filter, Resident Evil series en Dino Crysis are a few other games that I enjoyed a lot as well.

I just tried Metal Gear Solid for the first time, but I quickly got fed up with the horrible controls and camera. I quickly noticed that it is not the type of game I am looking for anyway. I was looking for an alternative to the magnificent Splinter Cell games, but alas, there are none!

4 hours ago, STiFU said:

I just tried Metal Gear Solid for the first time, but I quickly got fed up with the horrible controls and camera. I quickly noticed that it is not the type of game I am looking for anyway. I was looking for an alternative to the magnificent Splinter Cell games, but alas, there are none!

Do you know the games below? They might be worth a look

Stolen

Psi-Ops

However, I have not played Rogue Ops till now. I recall the story being described quite stupid, but then again the storylines in the SC games are not really good as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. The Reviews for Stolen don't sound very promising, but I'd be willig to try it anyway. However, you cannot get it anywhere. :D There is not place to buy it officially, let alone download it illegally.

14 hours ago, STiFU said:

Thanks for the recommendations. The Reviews for Stolen don't sound very promising,

Yeah, the biggest problems is, that there is no way to knock out guards permanently. However, somehow I liked the game and thus finished it.

Psi-Ops is definitely worth a try. The PSI abilities can be used for various stealth attacks....and the game does not take itself too serious.

On 10/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, STiFU said:

Thanks for the recommendations. The Reviews for Stolen don't sound very promising, but I'd be willig to try it anyway. However, you cannot get it anywhere. :D There is not place to buy it officially, let alone download it illegally.

Ever tried Velvet Assassin? Stealth in WW2. It certainly has flaws, but at the moment you can get it very cheap on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/16720/Velvet_Assassin/

This recommended review sums it up quite nicely:

"A linear WWII stealth game based on the famed agent Violette Szabo. Velvet Assassin rewards you for well planned and executed maneuvers to progress though the levels but suffers from mostly linear corridor missions and simple but inconsistent stealth mechanics. Not a lot of gadgets and weapons even detail to mechanics like in Splinter Cell and Thief but decent enough to switch between stealth & assault play styles with option to wear a disguise when available and the help of "Morphine" ability to assist with tough situations but you may be forced on some missions to simply go guns blazing. There's a leveling up system where you earn XP from collecting valuables but rather simple upgrades like move faster in stealth, more resistant to damage and longer "Morphine mode. May not sound much to recommend but when it all works out in a fairly decent level its quite enjoyable alongside an interesting story of an SIS agent who went through hell only to relieve it then return to try to stop it."

Edit:

And I also enjoyed the Death to Spies games and Alekhine's Gun (which is also known as Death to Spies 3). They aren't on sale though, so maybe wait for Christmas? The first bundle isn't that expensive and worth the price IMO, but the price for Alekhine's Gun is a bit too expensive IMO.

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/2821/ (Death to Spies 1 and 2)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/406720/Alekhines_Gun/

Edited by Carnage
  • Like 1

Yes, I have played Velvet Assassin. 🙂 But I totally forgot about Death to Spies. I actually got one or two of the games in my lib. Might check it out, although it does not really scratch that techy itch (nightvision goggles etc.) as Splinter Cell does. I also did not yet play both new Hitman titles, although I used to be a huge fan of the series. So Hitman 1 might be another (not so techy) option.

I think Hitman 2 has a legacy pack DLC which gives you all the missions from Hitman 1 and some more but with the 'updated' engine of Hitman 2. I'm not totally sure though as the options are quite confusing on Steam for Hitman.