The Dark Mod Forums

Playstation 1 Classics Nostalgia.

Kurshok

I just finished the PS4 Remake of MediEvil. Full run, unlocked classic graphics version. And now I'm full of nostalgia from my happier childhood times playing the PS1. I have ps4 Oddworld, but am going to buy the dlc mission for full story before finishing, which will require save scumming for me, knowing my skills. I also full finished Spyro Reignited, so I feel full of childhood nostalgia. Reminds me of Team Fortress 2 map "Deathrun Playstation", all this nostalgic happiness I'm feeling, it's like being on the gas at the dentist. I'm going to take a walk, it's still early and I was born on October 11, so I'm feeling extra nostalgic-drug-daze from how beautiful the day is. Just wanted to share my happiness.

• Like 1

Legend of Legaia (a JRPG) is one of my favourite games for the PS1. Recently finished the second part (for a second time) for the PS2, which wasn't as good as the first, but still very enjoyable. The first part I've finished probably close to ten times and I still come back for more. It can be a bit grindy at times, but I love the story and it has a deeper meaning to it if you're willing to think that far. The battle system is quite unique, as you enter directions and if you enter the correct combination you perform arts, super arts and/or hyper arts. After an X amount of levels you have space for more directions, which leads to more complex and stronger arts and you can even combine arts.

The first Spyro I also enjoyed a lot and I still remember the frustration but then after the joy of finding all the treasures. Oddworld, Syphon Filter, Resident Evil series en Dino Crysis are a few other games that I enjoyed a lot as well.

I just tried Metal Gear Solid for the first time, but I quickly got fed up with the horrible controls and camera. I quickly noticed that it is not the type of game I am looking for anyway. I was looking for an alternative to the magnificent Splinter Cell games, but alas, there are none!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, STiFU said:

I just tried Metal Gear Solid for the first time, but I quickly got fed up with the horrible controls and camera. I quickly noticed that it is not the type of game I am looking for anyway. I was looking for an alternative to the magnificent Splinter Cell games, but alas, there are none!

Do you know the games below? They might be worth a look

Stolen

Psi-Ops

However, I have not played Rogue Ops till now. I recall the story being described quite stupid, but then again the storylines in the SC games are not really good as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. The Reviews for Stolen don't sound very promising, but I'd be willig to try it anyway. However, you cannot get it anywhere. :D There is not place to buy it officially, let alone download it illegally.

14 hours ago, STiFU said:

Thanks for the recommendations. The Reviews for Stolen don't sound very promising,

Yeah, the biggest problems is, that there is no way to knock out guards permanently. However, somehow I liked the game and thus finished it.

Psi-Ops is definitely worth a try. The PSI abilities can be used for various stealth attacks....and the game does not take itself too serious.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, STiFU said:

Thanks for the recommendations. The Reviews for Stolen don't sound very promising, but I'd be willig to try it anyway. However, you cannot get it anywhere. :D There is not place to buy it officially, let alone download it illegally.

Ever tried Velvet Assassin? Stealth in WW2. It certainly has flaws, but at the moment you can get it very cheap on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/16720/Velvet_Assassin/

This recommended review sums it up quite nicely:

"A linear WWII stealth game based on the famed agent Violette Szabo. Velvet Assassin rewards you for well planned and executed maneuvers to progress though the levels but suffers from mostly linear corridor missions and simple but inconsistent stealth mechanics. Not a lot of gadgets and weapons even detail to mechanics like in Splinter Cell and Thief but decent enough to switch between stealth & assault play styles with option to wear a disguise when available and the help of "Morphine" ability to assist with tough situations but you may be forced on some missions to simply go guns blazing. There's a leveling up system where you earn XP from collecting valuables but rather simple upgrades like move faster in stealth, more resistant to damage and longer "Morphine mode. May not sound much to recommend but when it all works out in a fairly decent level its quite enjoyable alongside an interesting story of an SIS agent who went through hell only to relieve it then return to try to stop it."

Edit:

And I also enjoyed the Death to Spies games and Alekhine's Gun (which is also known as Death to Spies 3). They aren't on sale though, so maybe wait for Christmas? The first bundle isn't that expensive and worth the price IMO, but the price for Alekhine's Gun is a bit too expensive IMO.

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/2821/ (Death to Spies 1 and 2)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/406720/Alekhines_Gun/

Edited by Carnage
  • Like 1

Yes, I have played Velvet Assassin. ? But I totally forgot about Death to Spies. I actually got one or two of the games in my lib. Might check it out, although it does not really scratch that techy itch (nightvision goggles etc.) as Splinter Cell does. I also did not yet play both new Hitman titles, although I used to be a huge fan of the series. So Hitman 1 might be another (not so techy) option.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I never got into it because by the time I wanted to try it out, it was soooo horribly outdated - graphicswise - that I found it hard to get into. Looking forward to the SS1 remake and SS3 though! ? Anyway, I think this is a whole different Genre, albeit, an awesome one!

BTW, how did this thread derail into a video game recommendation thread for me? :D

I was too poor to have a PS1 back in the day. ??  Though I did admire its library of games. ?

I had to be a PC kid all the way, and I didn't even have my own PC until the early 2000s.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:23 PM, JackFarmer said:

Do you know the games below? They might be worth a look

However, I have not played Rogue Ops till now. I recall the story being described quite stupid, but then again the storylines in the SC games are not really good as well.

I found watching these... entertaining. I only knew about the third one. Truth be told, Rogue Ops made me think of "okay mechanics, meh presentation and concept" (the protag especially comes across as grating, still riding that mid-90s triggered "babe in a tight suit" trend started by the oldest Tomb Raider games). The second one, Stolen, felt more interesting to me, but they really went all-out with the presentation and exposition. While it's not bad, I think they might have overegged it a bit. Not just the protag cat-burglar, but the sinister mayoral candidate. The brief TV interview with the guy had me in stitches. :D I kind of agreed with the fence-guy as he turned off the TV, not thinking much about the guy. At least this second game is a bit more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek. Still obviously cheesy, but a better kind of cheesy. On a mechanical note, Stolen has the same style of lockpicking as Death to Spies (just computerised in presentation) and I like their idea of you needing to put trackers on guards first, so they could appear on your minimap. A bit of extra work for a bit of extra challenge.

On 11/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, STiFU said:

But I totally forgot about Death to Spies. I actually got one or two of the games in my lib.

The only reason I never bought either of the DtS games is because I heard they use StarForce, and that isn't good for me' drives. ?

Having played their demos many times, though I am not into WWII games (outside of flight sims), I found the DtS games very enjoyable. Especially the variety and the need for a lot of precision. I still adore how one mission has me started with sniper or saboteur kit, then I gradually put it away, get a disguise, hijack a truck, enter an enemy base, try to explore, lockpick and infiltrate, while avoiding suspicion. While a Hitman clone at heart, that series really gave me the feeling of playing an old-school, pre-electronics spy, and even gave me the urge to write down a concept for a WWI era stealth game (I prefer that era of modern espionage). The enemy soldier voiceovers are a bit cheesy (and only sound native-speaker-y to my ears in the second one), but I took that minor bit of campiness as part of the charm. Commandos might be the best WWII stealther about a team, Death to Spies might be the best WWII stealther about an individual spy.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

@Petike the Taffer I only had a PC too... but I made good use of emulators ?

In the early 2000s I owned thousand of emulated games from all consoles you could imagined. I even bought some original PS1 games to play on my computer, because I figured out how to make them work even better on it than on a real machine. It took years to perfect, but it was worth it.

I also remember playing N64 games on my computer, with four game-pads and accelerated graphics. And when I tried the real console out it felt rather crappy in comparison. The original game-pads were horrible, very expensive, and the games run on a kind of slow frame-rate.

And the most interesting part, I got all of it without Internet. I got Internet pretty late on my life, and that day I got overpowered. I guess my parents were scared about how much time I could employ on it, and they were right. I even wrote a section of the eMule manual, the section about how to find more stuff when searching.

Happily I no longer do piracy, and rather use libre software. Sometimes I download pirate games just to see if they work on Linux before buying them, but I pay for what I play (except if old school and out of the market).

That said you will enjoy this:

4 hours ago, Alberto Salvia Novella said:

@Petike the Taffer I only had a PC too... but I made good use of emulators ?

(...)

That said you will enjoy this

I see.

And for a second there, I thought that was footage of an HD remaster of Hitman 2: Silent Assasin. ?

Forgot they're making a follow-up to the episodically released Hitman from a while back.

On 10/29/2019 at 2:45 PM, STiFU said:

There is nothing quite like it, i'm afraid.

BTW, did you play Splinter Cell: Double Agent? I mean the one which came out for the original Xbox, and PS2, not the one which came out for Xbox 360 and PC. It's absolutely awesome. I was really surprised, because, i didn't really like Double Agent on PC. The one for the original Xbox is much more in the vein of the original parts. I think it's my favorite of all the SC games.

They just recently made it available for Xbox One through the backward compatibility program. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell:_Double_Agent#Xbox,_PlayStation_2,_GameCube,_and_Wii_version

Edited by chakkman

23 hours ago, chakkman said:

There is nothing quite like it, i'm afraid.

BTW, did you play Splinter Cell: Double Agent? I mean the one which came out for the original Xbox, and PS2, not the one which came out for Xbox 360 and PC. It's absolutely awesome. I was really surprised, because, i didn't really like Double Agent on PC. The one for the original Xbox is much more in the vein of the original parts. I think it's my favorite of all the SC games.

They just recently made it available for Xbox One through the backward compatibility program. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell:_Double_Agent#Xbox,_PlayStation_2,_GameCube,_and_Wii_version

Interesting!! Double Agent is different on PS2 than on PC?? In that case, I definitely have to try that!

On 12/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella said:

@STiFU For instance I have a mod that updates all the graphics and makes it look awesome, in case you want to try it out.

I also tried that a few years back, but couldn't get any decent results. Care to share some nice screenshots?

19 minutes ago, STiFU said:

Interesting!! Double Agent is different on PS2 than on PC?? In that case, I definitely have to try that!

Yep! I have no idea what Ubisoft did back then, they should have just released the "good" version for all systems, and scratched the "bad" one. :)

I was pretty surprised how much they differed when i played the PS2/Xbox version. The idea might have been to determine what people like better, more action orientated, or more stealthy. Considering the path Spliter Cell took after Double Agent, it seems to be pretty clear that people prefer action...

Edited by chakkman