The Dark Mod Forums

Trying to install in MX Linux. Frustrated...

Mercurybird

But I don't know if it will run in this version of Linux. Do I need to install Ubuntu? Because I see it has been successfully installed and played there.

As it is, I don't know enough about Linux to move the files and execute the files. And I don't know how to elevate my permissions. I know Ubuntu more than MX. I'm just looking for a not in the right direction.

We have played every thief, and a multitude of Thief fan missions over the years. And we just discovered the DarkMod, and want to play it with every fiber of our being. I just need a word from the folks who know.

I have been test running various versions of Linux for some time, Including latest Ubuntu. So I am by no means locked in or settled on MX Linux.

Thank you so much! Thank you, thank you!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

MX is based on Debian. And I've played TDM on Debian. So it should work.

create a directory called darkmod somewhere where you have write permissions. Do not do this as root! Place the downloaded TDM installer file in there. Switch to that directory and run chmod +x filename, where filename is the name of the installer. This makes the file executable. Now run ./filename again substitute filename with the name of the TDM installer that you downloaded. The download process of The Dark Mod should kick off. When done, run ./thedarkmod.x86 or ./thedarkmod.x64 with respect to your system architecture. If you use NVidia graphics don't forget that you will need the proprietary drivers for acceptable performance, or maybe for the game to even run at all.

One other thing is that you might need to add i386 architecture support to Debian for the game to work. I don't know if this is true, because I always do it (for wine), so I've never run TDM without it, and I don't know if the game actually depends on anything from i386. It is very quick and easy to do.

Also if you are really new to Linux and do not know, any time you want to run an executable in the current directory, you need to prepend it with "./" without the quotes. For example in a directory with an executable file called doom, you can't just type doom, you have to type ./doom

Edited by kano

mercury bird,

For Encouragement:

I am kinda new to linux and really new to TDM but i have been running TDM on the two most current versions of MX linux. (18 and 19). I did fresh manual installs from the instructions from their wiki and have no problems so far. Follow the link in freyks post and you will be fine. Not that there are more instructions beyond installing TDM on linux including how to install for x64 as well as looking for errors and missing files. I found it to be a very helpful wiki especially since i did a fresh install of mx linux19.

21 hours ago, freyk said:

To be honest that process seems very convoluted to me, with its insistence that the mod be installed into a system-wide location but with world-writable permissions, and "mandatory" chmod commands after almost every step.

I would recommend a process similar to what kano suggests: just download and run the installer from a directory where you already have write permissions (e.g. in ~/Games/DarkMod), then if you really need to make it a systemwide installation, move it into /usr/games/darkmod and set permissions afterwards. I would bet that the vast majority of users never actually need to do this, because most people's machines are single-user and don't need to run the game from multiple accounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OrbWeaver said:

I would bet that the vast majority of users never actually need to do this, because most people's machines are single-user and don't need to run the game from multiple accounts.

This, and:

If multiple users of one computer want to play TDM independently, they might not want to share their saves and list of played missions.
TDM lacks the "feature" of splitting static data (the game, standard missions) and user data (config, user-downloaded missions, saves, the mission-completion list) into a sytem-wide and a user-specific folder.
So installation into a system-wide location would be a bad idea in this case.

yes, if someone want to discuss the tdm-folder placement and other installation steps, please create another topic.
I just created the whole wiki article (with bits of knowledge and experience of every OS) at the time when there were no documentation. When writing the article,  i followed the D3 installation instructions,  common linux application installation rules. And added sollutions for problems we/i experienced. 
People can edit this article where needed.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

About the installation of TDM on mx linux,
I tried TDM on mx linux 19  - 64 bit on a vm and compared the installation guide on the wiki. 
without any adjustments during installation, the updater and game works. tested game only his sound, display and menu-selection control.

I fully agree with the installation steps that Kano describes,
And these steps are already described in the tdm wiki article.

On the downloadpage you can choose to download the 32-bit and the 64-bit of tdm updater for linux.
If you have mx linux 64 bit, download the tdm updater 64 bit for linux from the downloadpage.
(and/or follow https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installer_and_Manual_Installation#Installing_TDM_on_Linux_64_bit.2C_manually

If you downloaded the 32 bit version of the linux tdm updater and want it to run on mx linux 64 bit, 
you need to install you need libstdc++ from the 32 bit libraries (which kano mentioned) ,
already described in a section of "Installing other packages" on the wiki article.
command: sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386;
(or something like that) 

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

yes, that would be nice.
And create a feature that create some rpm/deb/flat packages
and try to publisch the packages & packager to the mx linux packages team (and others). 

Because novice users uses packagemanagers.
and its (maybe) difficult for them to install the game from source. And dont have the patience for it. 

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!