The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.7.0 pre-release test

DarkRadiant 2.7.0 has been released, this thread is out of date:

Here's the DR 2.7.0pre5 build for motivated mappers to test. It's a maintenance build for the most part, but it contains a few smaller improvements. As usual, a bit of refactoring and improvement has been happening under the hood, but this shouldn't have any negative impact. Especially, I would be interested if installation works, as I've moved forward to Visual Studio 2019 for this build.

OrbWeaver has been working on a DarkRadiant user guide which is continuously expanded and available on the website https://www.darkradiant.net/userguide (also accessible through the About > User Guide menu option).

Windows Installer x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ePE5oYYBq_2AcoNtQSBFGjXTBWk3fuWe
Windows Portable x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hCO5nxhcmm5jQipRPa8lBNrzstfdj-AR

Linux folks need to compile this stuff from source, instructions for various distributions are on the wiki.

If you happen to run into a crash, please record a crashdump: How to record a crashdump

Changes since 2.6.0 can be seen on the Bugtracker changelog, important stuff includes so far:

#5071: General: Upgrade VC++ projects to VS2019
#4889: Feature: A method to deprecate models without breaking existing maps
#4873: Feature: Game/Project Setup should show recently used custom paths in the mission drop down list
#5021: Fixed: DR gets unhandled exception on start up
#4792: Fixed: Rotation of x-oriented particles in Particle Editor is different than in-game
#5054: Fixed: Highlighted vertices of hidden brushes will move when moving highlighted vertices of visible brushes.
#4904: Fixed: Unmaximised DarkRadiant not remembering main window size and location
#4966: Fixed: Reload Models option in Create Model dialog window doesn't update the model
#4999: Fixed: Problem with satisfying readable objective "when closed"
#4859: Fixed: DR thinks an entity name of the form "Cylinder01" is the same as "Cylinder1"
#4885: Fixed: Syntax error in "Test for missing targets" script
#4880: Fixed: Bad normals produced by .ASE exporter
#4876: Fixed: No confirmation dialogue box when exporting combined models
#4861: Fixed: Undo/Redo Does Not Restore Light Color
#4874: Fixed: Compile error with gcc-7 (and gcc-8)
#4841: Fixed: Blend export script fails
#4840: Fixed: Mouse Binding settings for Aux1 do not work

Changes since 2.7.0pre1

#5078: Fixed: Search feature in TreeView controls seems to be broken
#5081: General: Updated Xcode project, DR compiles again in macOS
#5077: Fixed: Compilation failed in Ubuntu 19.10

Changes since 2.7.0pre2

#5104: Fixed: Exporting bell_hand.lwo as ASE is producing an invalid model, which will fail to dmap
#5101: Fixed: Model exporter doesn't remember last export location
#5092: Fixed: Buttons to change spawnargs can affect entities that aren't currently selected
#5091: Feature: Add "Choose Skin" button when editing model spawnarg of an existing entity
#5095: Fixed: Search box persists for some seconds after closing window or shifting focus
#5094: Fixed: Choose Skin dialog will crash in 2.7.0pre2
#5093: Fixed: When no GL context is present, OpenGLModule::assertNoErrors() runs into an endless loop until your memory runs out
#5086: Fixed: In DR 2.7.0 pre2: S/R interface issues with adding stims or responses
#5087: Fixed: Connecting lines to targeted entities don't show up if 'Default' layer was hidden
#5082: Fixed: Layers window: first click after opening isn't registered properly

Changes since 2.7.0pre3

#5095: Even more fixed: Search box persists for some seconds after closing window or shifting focus
#5112: Feature: Let the 'Matching skins' folder start in expanded state when showing the SkinChooser
#5113: Fixed: 'Choose skin' from model spawnarg: hitting cancel sets model spawnarg as skin
#5114: Fixed: Model selection: materials/verts/polys display always refers to previously selected model
#5117: Fixed: Entities with non-existent classnames are shown white instead of blue in orthoview

Changes since 2.7.0pre4

#5088: Fixed: Hitting cancel in 'Create Speaker' still creates a speaker
And an untracked change to make the Entity Inspector columns resizable.

Thanks for testing, as always!

On 12/9/2019 at 5:09 AM, greebo said:

#5071: General: Upgrade VC++ projects to VS2019
#4889: Feature: A method to deprecate models without breaking existing maps
#4873: Feature: Game/Project Setup should show recently used custom paths in the mission drop down list
#4792: Fixed: Rotation of x-oriented particles in Particle Editor is different than in-game
#5054: Fixed: Highlighted vertices of hidden brushes will move when moving highlighted vertices of visible brushes.
#4904: Fixed: Unmaximised DarkRadiant not remembering main window size and location
#4966: Fixed: Reload Models option in Create Model dialog window doesn't update the model
#4999: Fixed: Problem with satisfying readable objective "when closed"
#4859: Fixed: DR thinks an entity name of the form "Cylinder01" is the same as "Cylinder1"
#4885: Fixed: Syntax error in "Test for missing targets" script
#4880: Fixed: Bad normals produced by .ASE exporter
#4876: Fixed: No confirmation dialogue box when exporting combined models
#4861: Fixed: Undo/Redo Does Not Restore Light Color
#4874: Fixed: Compile error with gcc-7 (and gcc-8)
#4841: Fixed: Blend export script fails
#4840: Fixed: Mouse Binding settings for Aux1 do not work

Nice!

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your work on maintaining this tool, I know how hard it can be to work on a project for free on your spare time.  

edit: The new version crashs to me with error VCRUNTIME_140_1.dll was not found, used the portable version, I assume I need to install a runtime for visual studio 2019?

Edited by HMart
  • Like 2

Thanks for the words, guys, and the feedback!

I was suspecting that a dependency was missing! I added the missing file and updated the downloads above (links are the same). Can you please give it another shot?

11 hours ago, greebo said:

Thanks for the words, guys, and the feedback!

I was suspecting that a dependency was missing! I added the missing file and updated the downloads above (links are the same). Can you please give it another shot?

No problem you guys deserve it. 

DR now works and I most say the user guide is very nice. 

Anyone else seeing this bug:

1. In the Media tab, select the first item, "textures".

2. Type in "book", to begin a search.

3. DR takes you to the first texture with "book" in it.

4. Press the down arrow key to take you to the next entry.

5. The search field disappears, and DR leaves you on the first entry.

6. Try to restart the search, and DR won't accept any keys to show the search field and start filling it in.

7. Similar behavior on the "create entity" and "create model" requests.

Looks like the search feature has been zorked.

I can reproduce the problem perfectly. In wxWidgets 3.1.x popup windows are dismissing themselves on deactivation signal (in MSW implementation). I tried to work around that, but it causes lots of trouble, so I'll re-think the way the type-ahead searching is working and probably implement a different solution.

@greebo Is there anyway we could get a darkmode for Dark Radiant? I made a thread about this 12 months back, but even if it was unofficial, it would make staring at dark radiant into the long hours of the night a lot easier than the glaring white it is now.

I did a mockup just to show off how much easier it is on the eyes. Windows 10 does support dark mode which works for a lot of apps but Darkradiant doesn't seem to respond to this.

ftXG8wj.png

TxgV7ur.png

• Like 1

Had some look around, and apparently wxWidgets (which DarkRadiant is based on) doesn't support that mode. Somebody else already asked this before.

Dark Mode in wxWidgets app is only supported for macOS right now, and (if I recall the versions I tested in my VMs correctly,) the Linux version properly adheres to the system theme too, so you get a "DarkerRadiant" there. From that thread above it seems that only certain Windows applications which have been adapted to respect that setting properly support this, all other apps like Wordpad don't support it, even though they are using native Windows controls like DR is doing. ?

So, unless somebody steps up and adds support for this to the wxWidgets base we're using, DarkRadiant won't have a dark look, I'm afraid.

And btw, I've already asked Kingsal on discord, but I figured I can do the same here. From the DR development perspective, I do prioritize requests from veteran mappers about features and fixes to DarkRadiant, so whenever I get the chance to improve something that is stinging these people, I'll happily do it - with feasibility and amount of work being the obvious limiting factors.

So if you, Goldwell, or anybody else providing missions to this community, have suggestions about things that could make DR more useful, I'm all ears. Much like that Dark Mode suggestion, but this unfortunately seems to be out of reach for the moment, unless you want to switch to Linux for mapping.

4 hours ago, greebo said:

So if you, Goldwell, or anybody else providing missions to this community, have suggestions about things that could make DR more useful, I'm all ears. Much like that Dark Mode suggestion, but this unfortunately seems to be out of reach for the moment, unless you want to switch to Linux for mapping.

Thank you greebo, this is great to read for any mission maker, in particular when taken together with the engine devs' openness to feedback.

This would be a good time to bring up a few things I've had on my mental backburner for a while:

1) rotating while staying on grid. Say you have a lamp whose backplate is perfectly aligned with the wall. You now want to clone & rotate it to put it on another wall. However, in this example, neither the model's origin nor midpoint are aligned with the grid, so when it's rotated it'll lose its grid alignment.

A useful trick I found is to draw a large on-grid brush around the lamp. For instance a 64x64 brush if the lamp should stay on an 8-unit grid. This works by ensuring the centre of rotation is on an 8-unit grid.

I'd be very happy if there were an extra toggle button that, when enabled, snaps the centre of rotation to the grid. Something similar would also be great for the mirror function.

2) I've for sure gotten a lot of bang out of the grouping function, but it'd be great if grouping information were preserved i) in prefabs and ii) when ctrl-c/v copy-pasting between multiple windows of DarkRadiant.

I think the current approach of grouping the whole prefab upon import is good, but I'd like if one could then hit ungroup once and find the grouping that the author had prepared.

Edited by Dragofer

This is all fun and very exciting to read. I am interested in trying it out. But as a noob mapper working on my first map, I worry about impeding or breaking my map. This won’t affect my current build or ability to revert at all will it? I want to try that search function so bad.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

1 hour ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

This is all fun and very exciting to read. I am interested in trying it out. But as a noob mapper working on my first map, I worry about impeding or breaking my map. This won’t affect my current build or ability to revert at all will it? I want to try that search function so bad.

The map format is dictated by the game, not DarkRadiant, so updating DR will never make maps incompatible (assuming there isn't some catastrophic bug, of course).

I do recommend keeping regular backups of your map files to avoid data loss however. Ideally you would use a version control system like Git or Subversion, but failing that, any cloud backup service that stores snapshots of older versions would also work fine.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dragofer said:

1) rotating while staying on grid. Say you have a lamp whose backplate is perfectly aligned with the wall. You now want to clone & rotate it to put it on another wall. However, in this example, neither the model's origin nor midpoint are aligned with the grid, so when it's rotated it'll lose its grid alignment.

A useful trick I found is to draw a large on-grid brush around the lamp. For instance a 64x64 brush if the lamp should stay on an 8-unit grid. This works by ensuring the centre of rotation is on an 8-unit grid.

I'd be very happy if there were an extra toggle button that, when enabled, snaps the centre of rotation to the grid. Something similar would also be great for the mirror function.

I assume the existing button "Snap rotation pivot to grid" is not doing what you want to achieve? Also, you should be able to drag the rotation pivot around after hitting R to switch to rotation mode. If this doesn't work for you, can you show me a specific example? Maybe I can get a better understanding of the problem.

14 hours ago, Dragofer said:

2) I've for sure gotten a lot of bang out of the grouping function, but it'd be great if grouping information were preserved i) in prefabs and ii) when ctrl-c/v copy-pasting between multiple windows of DarkRadiant.

Hm, yes. I think I recall the reason why prefabs don't have any .darkradiant files saved alongside was that it was agreed to be not useful to have their layer information imported into the target map. After grouping was added to DR, this decision wasn't reviewed, so I assume the feature of having grouping information stored in prefabs and preserved when importing them is definitely useful. Can you open a request on the bugtracker for this, please?

The second request, regarding copy- and pasting stuff between maps and DarkRadiant instances sounds similar, but affects different parts in the DR code. Nonetheless, I think this is just as useful as the above, so please feel free to open a separate request for this on the tracker.