The Dark Mod Forums

Cherub-bot

god_is_my_goldfish

Alright, the image looks like crap, (it was intentionally done to look sketchy, but rather than making it look interesting it made it look bad :( ) but the concept is sound, the only parts i would think absolutely need changing are the feet and possibly the neck.

cherubbot.jpg

This bot serves as an outdoor guard, it would probably find more use in environments that are all stone or metal, as it's attack mechanism is a flamethrower that jets from it's mouth. This is not one of the uber-flame throwers used back in WWII, but rather a smaller 4-5 foot blast. As it is in it's patrol state it could walk around and let out a huff of flame every now and then.

Also, at least in my mind, it moves relatively fast, it's meant to be a small, fast, lightweight alternative to the larger cannon firing bots, who trade off their speed and size for a long distance projectile. (This bot might also be easier to disable as it is more lightweight)

(Also, not sure if this is possible in the d3 engine, but will we be able to support world objects burning when they contact flame? Or is that pretty much unnecessary as it would only be used rarely?)

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Might be interesting if the neck was retracted until it hit alert stage. Or the neck only extends just as it's about to shoot a burst of flame.

I think it needs a couple extra joints in the legs in order to balance itself, though.

I think it needs a couple extra joints in the legs in order to balance itself, though.

Odd pointed out that the less joints the better, as more joints would weaken the legs ability to support weight overall. He's also the one who'll probably be animating all these joints :P

Maybe a straighter leg is the way to go then. At the moment, I can't see how it's going to be able to walk, unless the 'thigh' moves from 2 o'clock back to 10 o'clock with each step. Or it hops with both legs.

I like it, but I think you should give it four legs. Four spider-like legs. Or you could make it more like two legged fast runners like velociraptors or ostriches.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I know that they were just heads with legs attached, but they were moving like spiders and they looked similar to spiders and the fact that you immediately knew which AI I meant shows that they are similar enough to spiders to warrant to call them spiders. :)

Anyway. If our bot will have spider like legs then it will be pretty similar to the D3 (non) spiders. That reminds me. We will feature spiders as well, right? Who will do them? Are you also modelling them or only the characters?

Gerhard

r2d2.jpg

EGADS. Bad joke, sorry. Shoot me now.

I like the four-legged suggestion, since it's a little guy. In fact, like the spider bots from T2.

Edit: Re: spiders - heck yeah they add something... they scare the pants off of a large portion of the players. >:) Need a wicked grin smilie.

Edited by SneaksieDave

For this bot i'll be sticking with the two-leg design, (redesigned to be more raptor-ish) it just makes more sense for it, but i'll do some of the heavier bots with four legs, and we can see how that works out.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

Also, not sure if this is possible in the d3 engine, but will we be able to support world objects burning when they contact flame? Or is that pretty much unnecessary as it would only be used rarely?

There is no reason why this isnt possible, but like you might be insinuating, it would come down to weither its worth the time.

I dare say we would have other ways thigns will catch fire, so this feature probably will be implemented. It was in T3.