The Dark Mod Forums

Menu Screens

Springheel

Here is a mock-up of our main menu and options menu screens.

Obviously the background is a placeholder. I'm envisioning something similar with our engine, with a small animation of the street signs creaking in the wind. Possibly with people milling about if possible, although we're not sure if that's doable.

This version is for Napalm to use in the meantime if he's still doing the menu GUIs.

Large Version

menumain1thumb.jpg

Large Version

optionsmenuthumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as something happening in the background, I was actually picturing that guard in the background walking up to the foreground...then maybe looking around a bit... standing there shifting his weight from leg to leg, or checking out or his sword, then heading back to the background and around the corner. Just something subtle. Maybe have some civilians make an appearance every now and then, too... and other guards, etc. But not revealing too much, of course. Maybe some stars twinkling above in that night sky and a "1 in 100" chance of a shooting star happening.

* Slight wind blowing sounds, rocking that sign as you say...

* Faint town sounds -- maybe an inn or a pub around the corner with muffled conversation or music...

* The crackling of a torch on the wall...

Sounds inviting.

I'll get all the menus setup around this design in the next few weeks, I'll have plenty of time so it will work out great

Sounds good. Let me know when you need the graphics files...I have them all saved at 1280x1024 with the buttons on separate layers for easy access.

The "New Mission" menu will be a different design than this one so don't worry about that yet. Just stick to the main menu and the options menus for now. I'll get you the Load/Save menu and Purchase Screen in a bit.

It's more representative of what I'd like to see in the background. The only city map we have is our old Citytest, which was never meant to be nice to look at. Once we get a good supply of city textures and models someone can come up with a good city map in our engine, which I'm sure will look far better than the T3 one.

I've never even seen Morrowind, so I'd be really surprised if it were that similar.

Judging from what I've seen by scouting around the web, the main similarity seems to be that both menus use square boxes and the colour brown. I highly doubt anyone is going to think one is derivative of the other. :)