The Dark Mod Forums

Amd1003 -- Builder Priest Model

Springheel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go, a weekends work, it's not ultra detailed yet, I'll do that in ZBrush.

WOW! WOW! WOW!

If you continue working with this speed an quality the coders will have a hard time keeping up with it. :)

Thinking that I worked many days on just a simple face and it always looked like crap and you did that in a few days?!?! Amazing! Impressive! Really!

Gerhard

question: as seen in hitman and splinter cell it is possible to see clothing effects in real time. would it be possible to seperate the clothing and but it over the character and than move it in real time as the animation of the character takes place or is this mor difficult than animating the clothing directly into the character?

From tests i've seen, applyign the "cloth" effect on the model is probably asking for trouble. Whatever physics dictate something like that would have a hell of a time staying straight on a moving entity. Unless you gave it a heavy weight at the bottom, that might keep it from getting too wild.

oDDity, how many polys is the builder model and the hammer? I was thinking that if we need to reduce polys on it, much of it could be made into normalmaps, such as the belt buckle and the wrist straps.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Well I read in another post o the forums here that 7500-8k polys is the target for characters. I'll have no problem whatsoever getting to that level from the current 30k

It's never a good idea to have large details like the belt buckle just a flat plain with a normal map, it's always best to have some basic geometry there as well that more or less follows the high res shape.

That's not a problem though, there's a plugin for Lightwave call qemLOSS which does just that job.

I'll have to get this textured and normal/spec mapped and into Doom to see what the final effect will be. I currently have no idea how god/bad/average it will look inside the game.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm really impressed by the edgelooping on the face and hands - awesome work, my friend.

As for using an in-game clothsim for clothing.. this really wouldn't work well. It's fine for gigantic curtains and the like, because they don't need to conform very well to the body, so they don't have many vertices - but a cloak or robe would need a ton of vertices, and thus would take a ton of processing time.

oDDity - are you going to do the animations, or no? If you're more comfortable modelling, I'd definitely be willing to animate for him, as that's more my expertise. :)

I was thinking I could maybe use motion builder to add some mocaped animations, but the problem here is that there isn't a huge selection, so they may not be exactly what we want.

I'm not an animator though, so it's great if you can handle it.

You're also confisent about setting up and animatng the rigs for things like burricks etc?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking I could maybe use motion builder to add some mocaped animations, but the problem here is that there isn't a huge selection, so they may not be exactly what we want.

I'm not an animator though, so it's great if you can handle it.

You're also confisent about setting up and animatng the rigs for things like burricks etc?

Hmmm, those captured animations may be a very good foundation though. There could probably be some tweaking done to get them where we need them. :)

• 6 months later...

...and seven months later he's actually in the game.

I haven't been doing any CG work for the last two weeks (I get totally bored with it sometimes) but I'm finshing of the Builders now.

priest.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

It was Ishtvans's suggestion of using the Greek key pattern on the prelate robe, and I'm keeping it as a mofif throughout the Builder faction.

Closeup. I think I'll add some 'real' hair. i.e polys with hair alpha maps, rahter than just the pasted on look. Even with a heightmapthe berad looks pasted on.

priest2.jpg

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

The chains look great too. I'm glad you kept them. That burlap texture on the robes is damn impressive!

THe chains don't look that goos on the moving models thoiugh. Sometimes they look concave instead of convex depends on lighting and angle, but there's nothing can be done about it. (other than model real chains and use up 2000 extra polys)

They may also get in the way when animating.

Here's the Builders so far..

builders.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Wow. That's very, very impressive. As to the guard's cloth, I think it looks okay as-is; it looks sort've more military style and less ceremonial, which is good IMO, but if you want to try the brighter red maybe go for it and see how it looks?

I'm glad the Greek key is working out. Now we can all imagine we're hiding from the oppressive Eastern Orthodox priests from our childhood. :)