The Dark Mod Forums

Art Request. Game Menu Hud

sparhawk

but also feel the idea of a book with flickering candle and blowing out would be cool.

Well, this would still have that effect...the flickering light would be cast over the surface. But instead of a book it looks more like parchment.

There was some concern on IRC that the book idea was too bright, so this was another option. I'm starting to feel like we need to put this to some kind of vote.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the vote idea is definately the way to go on this one...get it decided once and for all. The reason I'm kinda driving it so hard is cuz the hud is quite literally the gateway to our mod. It doesn't set the tone for the rest of our work on it, but it'll set the impression that someone gets when they first fire it up. You do something really cool and they'll be more likely to show a bit more interest in what comes later.

But anyway, I've got one last idea I wanna try before we start the voting. If you could hold it off for a day or so I'd really appreciate it.

It doesn't set the tone for the rest of our work on it, but it'll set the impression that someone gets when they first fire it up.

Agreed. That's why I feel it is important too.

But anyway, I've got one last idea I wanna try before we start the voting. If you could hold it off for a day or so I'd really appreciate it.

Oops, I didn't see this until after I posted the vote! :(

Doh! Damn....oh well. Want me to continue working on it and throw it out at the last minute or just go vote?

If you wanna know what it is, it's a mix of the parchment and the book idea. The menu will be similar to my book idea, pushed off to the right and laying on top of the edge of the parchment.

You'll always see the regular menu options at all times, and the parchment will display all the information those lead to, like if you click load your saved games will fade in on the parchment. That way you don't have to hit a back button to return to the default menu and you can keep it all on one screen, it also gives you alot of room to play with the art.

Edited by Renzatic

I don't see why not...it's close enough to what we're dealing with already.

I've actually done a new one as well. I stole the graphics from The Circle, but I was thinking earlier about something like this, with a circular stained glass design and the city skyline in the background. I put this together in like 5 minutes, so obviously it's rough. I think it addresses Sparhawk's thoughts about sticking to the major colour scheme.

menu9.jpg

Edited by Springheel

That's hard not to love. If you can whip something up of our own design that's similar to that then you've got my vote.

We can still do lots of neat effects on it, like light defracting on the window, or a candlelike effect flickering behind it...we could even have a few shadows slowly moving back and forth on it. It opens up alot of possibilities...

Edited by Renzatic

I dunno, something about the stained glass one reminds me of the T3 menu for some reason. Maybe its just the colors... but yet they're different. No clue. Regardless, it's obviously is beautiful, but it also reminds me of the Thief-TheCircle site. I'd still prefer the book style :) That menu might be good for the actual campaign we do, but I think the book style lends itself better to presenting an interface for people to choose the Fan Mission they want.

I put this together in like 5 minutes, so obviously it's rough. I think it addresses Sparhawk's thoughts about sticking to the major colour scheme.

From the colour scheme it's quite fitting. But I'm not sure that I like this emblem(?) in the middle. It looks rather gameyish and lacks the mysteriousness that I associate with Garret and the keepers. The hooded figure is quite good though, but the main image shouldn't be there like this.

Gerhard

I'd still prefer the book style :) That menu might be good for the actual campaign we do, but I think the book style lends itself better to presenting an interface for people to choose the Fan Mission they want.

What about putting some icons in there? Like a book for FM selection. Then when the user clicks the book, it opens up and displays the FM selection screen overlayed on the main title as a book.

Actually I like the design as it was done on the T2X(?) Website. Looks really good and we could do something similar as titlescreen.

Gerhard

But I'm not sure that I like this emblem(?) in the middle.

Well, I just cut and pasted that from the Circle...obviously if I took more than 5 minutes I'd do something of our own. :) Since there is some interest I'll come up with something.

Well, I just cut and pasted that from the Circle...obviously if I took more than 5 minutes I'd do something of our own. :) Since there is some interest I'll come up with something.

Great! Could you take look here http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=285

and assign or create some concepts for the other screens as well?

Gerhard

I have an idea for the shop screen, i'll sketch it up.

(still need to get that damn belcher done though. ;) )

Great! So it had some effect to do this work. :)

When you post it, please make a new thread though. Makes it easier to keep track and when I look through the forums to collect the consensus for the design.

Gerhard

Great! Could you take look here http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=285

and assign or create some concepts for the other screens as well?

I have some ideas of how this could work...a similar look to each menu, but the central design could be different for each page, or different figures at the sides, or something. I won't have time to do anything tonight, but I'll play around with some ideas on the weekend.