The Dark Mod Forums

Liquidbronze's Work

LiquidBronze

First of all, those aren't soundeffects, but ambient sounds. Think like this: If the sound is generated by something the player does, ie shoots an arrow, walks around, pushes a button, then it's a soundeffect. If on the other hand, the sound is put in the level by the level-designer to bring some athmosphere to the level, ie crickets, the ocean, factory sounds.. Background sounds if you want, then it's an ambient sound.

Second of all, those are some really great sounds! I love the factory. Right on! :)

Third of all, great work.. :D

Fourth of all, I'm gonna start doing an ambient design doc soon. It should hopefully clear up a few things.

Edited by pakmannen

Good job, LB!

You must have a microphone/recorder set-up of some sort. That's cool :)

I'm not sure if these are tests, or finals... but if I may?, some constructive feedback real quick...

* The popping sound at the beginning of 'thief gulp test' (which I assume is a cork being popped off a flask?) sounds kind've cartoony. I like the sipping sound. The gulping sound at the end doesn't sound realistic.

* The more prevalent cicada (or whatever) sound on top of all the other sounds in the 'grasshopper' clip has a pretty repetitive frequency. If we were to use this in-game, I think it would be cool to just have the grasshoppers in the background be the general atmosphere, and then randomly add a few cicada clickson top... and then remove them for a while, and then add them back in for a short duration, etc., in a random fashion. But then again, maybe that's not how nature works. But then again, also, a game player would pick up on the repetition of it and hear that it's a loop eventually. The better you can hide the fact that it's a loop, the better.

* The running horse could be usable, but depending on how it's used or what the horse is running on, could benefit by having some underlying bass tone stomps added for each step, thus making the horse seem like it has more mass.

* The 'door open' sound is pretty creepy. I like it :) This creepy one should probably be used sparingly if we're ever going to make a campaign. I don't think I'd want to hear that loud of a sound every time a door opens; well, especially since we're a sneaky thief. We should make a few door sounds to choose from, some more subtle sounding.

I'm sure you already had thought of most/all this stuff. Just wanted to mention. Thanks for your hard work so far!! I really like the 'Factory' sounds too! Good job.

hey thanks for the feed back dark, i appreciate it. those are not final i can fine tune them after we agree if that is a sound we want (i use numerous ways to get my sounds: record myself, use my synth, use some samples and overlap other sounds then loop them too).

and that gulp test was just that, a test, the gulp should be done by new horizon anyway, since he is handeling the voices.

i would like to atually take the factory one, and add some slight strings or a small piano chord into the mix to add some variety.

i also plan on going to my work to record sounds from there in the near future (probably within a month, ill have to get clearence to bring in a mic setup :P)

thanks again

peace

LB

Edited by LiquidBronze