The Dark Mod Forums

Calling All Oddities...

Darkness_Falls

I'm new to modeling. I made this simple platter using the bevel tool in LW. How come there's a surface in which you can place food, yet this same surface doesn't exist when you look at it from below? This model defies all logic and reason :)

I'm looking for an explanation as to why this happens so I can understand how not do it.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Art-Conce.../platter-df.avi (3.6MB)

PS: I haven't figured out how to or where I would texture stuff yet, so I'm just using a default green glass surface. Hmm, now if I could just figure out how to slap a pattern on it...

THe bottom polygons need their normals flipped. THey are pointing in instead of out. In modeler, select the polgons that are facing the wrong way and press f. Turn double sided off in the surface editor first,

WHen you select a polygon, you can see a dotted line coming form it's center telling you which way the normals are facing. THey should always pointing outward, away from the surface. Sometomes using bevel or lathe can gvie you insideout models.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

i dont know lw but i guess you started beveling from a line and it didnt fill the bottom with polys..in studio there is a 'cap holes' tool which fixes that easily

or you can 'ceate a poly' clicking on the vertexes that will make it up one by one..

btw it still exist while looking from below but since you can see only those polys that faces to your direction..if you flip all faces than you'll see everything inside but nothing from outside

Cool, that worked oDDity; but with a little extra thought. I needed to copy and paste that polygon (making a duplicate) and then flip that duplicate's normal. That way one normal would be pointing up (to be the flat surface in which to put food); and the other normal would be pointing down (to be the bottom of the platter). Then had to weld some points around the bottom perimeter. I'm sure there are construction issues with it, but it was a good learning experience anyways!

No, that's not right. You obviously hadn't modeled both sides of the plate, and hadm't got double sided turned on. Polygons are one sided by default, and invisivble from the oter side. Turning double sdied on makes them visible from both sides, but that only works in lightwave, in doom it'll be invisible from the other side again.

You've coped and pasted polygons on top of each other, which isn't a good idea.

What you have to do is model the entire suface of the plate top and bottom.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

2 sided polygons aren't natural :) 3D apps will render them by doing a trick (actually making new polys when rendering), but you won't see any such thing in a video game.

Having polys occupy the same space can cause rendering irregularities.

What oDDity is saying is to model the plate as a 3D object that has a thickness.

T2 had plates that appeared to be as thin as card but I think they had 2 squares for that, both back to back.

THe T2 plates was just a flat one sided model with two sided turned on. I'm sure the dark engine had that abilty to render polygons two sided, since it saves on a lot of polys, and saving on polys seems to have been the primary concern of the modelers.

YOu can make one sided polys render as two sided in UT.

Flagging a surface twosided in a doom material automatically turns shadow casting off. so you have to model the entire surface area.

- Emil Zola

character models site