The Dark Mod Forums

Machine - Water Crystal Maker

Darkness_Falls

Just created a basic machine with some gears and stuff. It turned out to be a water crystal maker, but it could instead be used for almost anything since it's just a basic machine that might appear somewhere in Dark Mod land. However, I think it might be neat to have a side mission or unmentioned task where you can find some Quartz crystals, dump them in, activate the machine and crank out a few crystal water arrow tips.

machine-watercrystal.jpg

I thought crystals were magic things. You can't just take an ordinary crystal and throw water at it. IT coul dbe a machine used for making anything though.

This is my probelm with crystals. They're totally contrived things. I mean, these things are goiwing in any pool of water apparently, but what do other people use them for? All they do is make a huge messy splash of water everywhere if you break them.

WHat good would they be to anyones. Same goes for the other crystals.

THat's why I'd prefer the thief to use tools that were specifically designed for his job, rather than these oh so conveniently growing 'natural' crystals.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ahh, but the quartz crystal used in water arrow making is a special magical quartz found only in the mines of the lost souls ;)

It's just a machine. I admit making it a water arrow manufacturing machine was an afterthought, but it would work for me. Since these are "our" times, maybe the inventor guild is trying to figure out a way to mass produce magical crystal tips. This machine is their prototype, but it is only able to crank out one or two at a time, and it is not efficient at all. Maybe there needs to be one more input into the machine for another key ingredient: 'magic' :)

What if they found magical quartz crystal cave, as I mentioned. Or a bag full of magical dust. Honestly, I really don't care how the machine gets used. I'm just arguing that it would be possible to explain. I don't know much about the inventor's guild; but I know that if they're human and they've explored somewhere, they could've very well found a necessary ingredient for creating magical crystals. Maybe they've reverse-engineered them. I don't know anything about our inventor's guild, but I can easily see any normal inventor would be quite curious to learn about magic and harness its potential, even if in the very minimal sense as 'trying to figure out how to make a magic crystal.' Inventors are curious folk, by nature.

I agree other people should be using the crystals as well. Didn't we talk about giving some elite guards fire arrows?

I'm not trying to say other people should use crystals. For all we know, this is a prototype machine that was just created yesterday (in the gaming world).

Okay, now I'm really done with arguing the side of it being a 'water crystal making machine' ;) I'm just being a devil's advocate, trying to show you that anything is possible.