The Dark Mod Forums

Ghosts

Domarius

First there was nothing, an oblivion; then there was everything. Why?
What makes you so quick to assume that? Isn't it just as feasible to assume that the universe has always existed? (there are theories that the part of the universe created by the big bang may be just a small fragment of a much larger universe which existed even before the big bang) IMHO, suggesting that there must have been a start to the universe is like suggesting there must be a minimum integer.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is no god, it doesnt affect me in any way.

Bingo.

Nobody can ever know whether there is a god or not, and any guesses about the god's qualities that you care to make are more likely to be wrong than right (due to simple probability).

What makes you so quick to assume that? Isn't it just as feasible to assume that the universe has always existed? (there are theories that the part of the universe created by the big bang may be just a small fragment of a much larger universe which existed even before the big bang) IMHO, suggesting that there must have been a start to the universe is like suggesting there must be a minimum integer.

Dont forget the oscillating theory, that the universe regularly contracts and expands, each expansion is a rebirth, then a contraction to a singularity, then expansion again. Im no expert on such things but I know the theory is out there.

Existence has no purpose. IF it did. and that purpose is to worship a god, then I still wouldn't do it. Any god that was vain enough to ceate a race of people to worship it, deserves nothing but contempt.

Whether there is a god or not is a moot point to me.

If there is a god, and as religion would have us believe, it created me to worhship it, then it can go fuck itself, I want nothing to do with it.

IF there is a god and it created me to do what I want with no intention of making me worship it, then that's already what I'm doing, so it doesn't matter.

If there is no god, it doesnt affect me in any way.

My viewpoint exactly.

And if there is a god, why assume there is only one? Perhaps the universe was created by a Universal Planning Committee of various deities representing a cabal of investor deities, as part of their plan to be super rich Gods.. ;) Suppose the entity referred to as God in the bible actually existed, but it was lying about its level of power, and it was actually just one lesser god of many that had managed to con a race of bipedal primates into doing all kinds of stupid contradictory things to appease it, when really it was quite harmless. Then all of a sudden, it was apparently never heard from again for 2 millenia (maybe it died of old age).

You really have no idea whether or not, assuming there is some kind of deity (which I think highly doubtful), what the true motives or intentions of that deity are, or whether it is being honest. Perhaps God was testing those foolish enough to operate on blind faith and discarding them in favour of the more sensible doubters...

Interestingly, as I understand it the Gnostics believe that the universe was created by a God that was corrupt and evil, and that Satan is actually good.

The point is, there are so many possibilities stemming from one very dubious assumption, that the sensible individual will either refrain from making such assumptions, or make ones explicitly based on logic, reason and evidence, rather than imagination and blind faith.

And assuming the universe has to be the creative product of some intelligent being means you are still back at sqare one - you then have the question as to how that being came into existence. And since if you can posit that a God can have always existed, or spontaneously came into being, then it would be just as reasonable to posit that the universe could have always existed or spontaneously came into being without any kind of intelligent deity being involved at all. Actually, more reasonable, because of the evidence suggesting the absence of any kind of intelligent creator.

Personally, if I were to discover that there actually was some kind of God-like entity, I would have no reason to trust it, or take it's word as automatically being true, and I would tell it to piss off and leave me alone... If it then wants to crush me like an ant, I really couldn't give a shit.

@SplaTtzZ

If you want purpose and meaning in your life, you will have to invent it for yourself. Meaning is something humans attach to things, it is not an inherent property of the universe. A sentence written down in a long dead and forgotten script is meaningless scrawl - no one is left who can put meaning to those markings. Human speach is meaningless soundwaves to a sea anenome (well, it can't even hear them for starters) - it has no capacity or need to attach meaning to human utterances. In the same way, human life is meaningless to the universe as a whole - you don't have the slightest impact on the existence of the universe.

When people go to church or whatever to give their lives meaning, they are actively creating meaning, they are not discovering it. It comes from inside the imagination out. The universe doesn't give a shit.

Man this thread is gay :laugh:

Heh - I'm with oDDity on the god thing. The most positive idea I can think of is that god created life as singular entities rather than one big powerful thing, so that it can be experienced in different forms... or some other similar explanation that has no bearing on my immediate life as I see it :) So its all the same to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I had a rather weird experience last night, rather similar to what NH saw in fact.

I woke up about four in the morning to the sound of what I thought was the cat licking itself (a slurp slurp sound). I flipped over in my bed just to tell the cat to shut up, and saw some kind of illuminated green mass on the other side of the room. My heart stopped for a second, but then I chastised myself for being so stupid. I wasn't sure where I was looking in the darkness but was sure I was just looking at the strange, greenish reflection of some coat draped over a chair or a bottle or something. But I turned on the bedside lamp and saw that I was just staring at a blank wall, with nothing there.

I remembered this thread and said "Bah, I'm going to get to the bottom of this." So I turned the light off again and lay awake waiting for the greenish haze to return, so I could pinpoint its exact location and do some scientific analyses, and so forth. After a while it sort of faded back into view (probably my eyes getting used to the darkness again). It was a ball of green that seemed to move about. The closest thing I could compare it to is one of those will o' the wisps in Thief.

My first thought wasn't exactly fear, but more "Damn, I've got work tomorrow, how am I going to sleep with some phantom blob hovering about my room?" So I got up and opened all my window blinds, so that maximum moonlight would get in and I'd get a proper look at the thing. I turned off the lights again, but this time it didn't appear at all. After a while I just fell asleep.

Very strange, especially that I should have a very similar experience to NH so soon after he talked about it.

Oh! Now that I think of it, I also have seen this strange green stuff in my sleeping room yesterday, and the day before it was in the childrens sleeping room. Strange that I haven't thought of it before, but now that you mention it. Macsen, did it also smell bad? Because in my case I know it did. It was probably related to my son catching some desease and he was vommiting all night long, but I don't know for sure, because I was asleep and I haven't seen it doing it.

Gerhard

I forgot to post my time loop story...or mental hickup...whatever it may have been. Alright, so here goes.

I'll sum up the story pretty quickly.

I was six years old, sitting in my living room watching television, and it was 1981 my friends. I was sitting on the far right end of the couch. My parents were out in the kitchen and it was mid evening. As I watched the TV, I had this really odd feeling that there was someone sitting next to me on the couch. I turned my head to the left and there was a young man looking back at me. I was freaked to high heaven but too scared to move. I can't say how long he was there but then he just 'popped' out of sight again. Almost like if you are flipping little sequential doodles that you made on the corner pages of a book and suddenly come to the end of your doodles.

I'm not really setting the stage for this very well...so just jump ahead 12 years. I'm now 18. This time, I'm sitting in the middle of the couch watching TV. It's a different couch now but in the same spot. It's roughly around the same time of evening and I get a strange feeling that someone is next to me. I turn to my right and there I am as a six year old, looking back at myself.

That would be weird enough but this is where it gets kind of difficult to explain. As soon as I saw my younger self....I could see from two perspectives in my mind. I could see my younger self looking up and my older self looking back. As if I were able to inhabit both bodies at once. It was seriously screwed up and I have no idea how it's possible.

I'm sure there will be some very interesting explanations to disprove it could have anything to do with time overlapping but it was an interesting experience all the same. :laugh:

Have you ever thought you recognized someone you haven't seen in a long time, then looked more closely and found the person you thought was them was not them, then 1 minute later, the actual person you thought you recognized walks by from around a corner or some other place you couldn't possibly have seen? This happens to me all the time.

It's called coincidence or luck or chance. It happens to everyone in lots of ways trivial and significant.

As for NH, he's obviously been a deluisonal schizophrenic from birth and should consider professional help.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

gosh you guys have too much freetime, right`? this is page _7_ of a thread about _ghosts_

rofl

nevertheless I enjoyed reading it. NH you make me really happy, because I never believed in life after death, but to fly around as a blueish fog thingy scaring off people must be really cool. I think I'd enjoy it. Probably I'm going to see the spagetthi monster too

:P