The Dark Mod Forums

Asimov's Foundation

oDDity

I was considering reading (listening) to this series, but I was thinking it might be a bit dated and clunky now, considering it's 50 year old sci-fi. I know some of the later book were written in the 80's, but the first 3 are half a century old.

Has anyone read these?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I read them years ago, yes they will probably seem a bit dated but they are good stuff. I kind of outgrew Asimov a few years back but I still have a ton of respect for the guy, a proud athiest to his last breath, a champion of the popularization of science, and an outspoken critic of creationists, astrologers, and similar muddle-headed baboons. Just keep in mind the guy started writing during sci-fi's "Golden Age" of the 30s to the 50s, so he doesnt use profanity, never mentions sex, etc. His story "Nightfall", about a planetary system in a solar system with 6 suns, is a masterpiece. For the inhabitants of one of the planets, night only comes every 2000 years or something like that, when it does it destroys their civilization over and over, the story is about one group of thinkers who try to stave off the end. It can be read as an allegory for education versus mysticism, or just read as a great story.

I liked most of Asimov books - at first I read Calliban, then a series called colonization or foundation. I liked his three robot laws.

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

That's fine by me Macsen, as long as I enjoy them. I will read them one day.

At the moment I'm reading A Scanner Darkly. I've read Androids, Palmer, Martian Time Slip and Ubik recently. Philip K, natch. I recommend them oDDity.

As to old Sci-Fi: I have "We" by Zyamatin and it's great. As is Brave New World. Both old Sci-Fi. The thing with older stuff is they invented the concepts that are continually rehashed now, and they seem timeless and intereting because of the age.

btw - do you guys like my new avatar? :P actually looks like me. Though I don't have a plasma rifle

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

I've read just about all of Asimov's books, they might seem a bit old in many ways, but the guy was so far ahead of his time that you won't notice it too much. One of my favourite authors, and he explores a lot of concepts in depth that many other sci-fi writers would ignore or not even consider. The foundation series is a good start...

Read the books, don't listen to the tapes if you can help it...

I've read just about all of Asimov's books, they might seem a bit old in many ways, but the guy was so far ahead of his time that you won't notice it too much.

That's exactly how I felt as I read them. I felt as if I could have been reading a book that was written within the last 10 years at some points.

I can't help listening instead of reading. To me, readiong a book is a waste of time, when you could be listening to it while doing something else at the same time.

I don't see the difference between reading yourself and having it read to you by someone else. The words are the same.

I started Foundation anyway, though it's pretty boring so far. I'm not gripped. Then again, I'm not a sci-fi novel fan, I prefer the two extremes of either high fantasy or non fiction.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I read the entire Foundation trilogy in as many days, during a school holiday years ago. If you're not a sci-fi fan you probably won't enjoy it much though.

I prefer to read rather than listen because I read very fast, and listening to a spoken word is much slower.

As to old Sci-Fi: I have "We" by Zyamatin and it's great. As is Brave New World. Both old Sci-Fi. The thing with older stuff is they invented the concepts that are continually rehashed now, and they seem timeless and intereting because of the age.

Believe me, I know my old Sci Fi, my I grew up reading anthologies of Novella Awards, Hugo Awards, you name it running from the late 40s up to the 70s. Im just pointing out its not what you are going to find today, for better or worse.

I also prefer to read, simply because when I listen and do something else, then I get only half of it. Especially when this is a novel or something which I don't have to listen to for some reason.

When I read I can imagine the voice of the narrator and the characters any way I like, wheras if it is read to me the voice of the reader overpowers my imagination. I get more out of reading it for myself, and I read a lot faster than most people can speak, so it would take me a lot longer to listen to a book than it would to read it. I am not that good at multi-tasking, so I am either listening or doing something else, not both.

A lot of Asimov is quite slow, so if you are a bit impatient, you might not get much out of it.