The Dark Mod Forums

New Jps Game Using Source Engine.

TrevP

I don't like Warren, don't like source engine (yes changed my mind since winter last year), don't like steam :P

yes he was part of LGS and involved in SS2 and thief, but imho this guy never understood what thief really is. wondering why he's using Steam though - will there be a Steam for consoles?? few years ago he said the pc is dead - only console games have a future.....

oh and btw the website of his studio:

http://www.junctionpoint.com/index.htm

sorry to say that, but that's the most amateurish website I've seen for ages.

I HATE Source and anyhing related to it, including the way it looks, Steam, and Half-Life. I hope DMM&M will get away from Source as far as possible.

Edited by Forsaken

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Heh, tough crowd. Despite what Spector may or may not have said/done to disgrace himself, he has also done enough - at least in my opinion - to redeem himself, so I am looking forward to this.

I also have no real issues with VALVe, or steam, so I guess this is a win/win situation for me.

Also, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is pretty far into development, so I highly doubt it'd switch engines.

How much he was involved in actually designing any of those games, and how much he was involved in pen-pushing, delegating responsibility, and corporate lunches with publishers, is debatahle.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Also, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is pretty far into development, so I highly doubt it'd switch engines.

What? I think someone has the wrong end of the stick here.

Steam is NOT Source. The new Red Orchestra game is going to be on Steam yet is is running on the UnReal 2.5 engine.

Warren certainly has been in charge of some major mess ups. 2 I can think of anyway. But he certainly had a lot of input in some very well respected games oDDity. He's not a manager as such, he will certainly have been behind the creative drive. If he weren't he never would have been able to make that admission of messing up DXIW since he wouldn't have understood what was wrong with it. Plus back in the old days (Origin?) you had to be much more closely involved in the dev process.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Steam is Steam, Just the distribution platform. Source is the engine. And yes, if you look at the JPS jobs page you can see it even says that they're looking for a level designer and an artist for the source engine.

I know what they are looking for. YOU are the one that linked Steam with engines in that quote I took. HoM&M could use Steam but that would have no bearing whatsoever on the engine.

It's just a coincidence that JPS will be using Source. But it's a great engine afaics so why not?

Can devs make a game licencing the Source engine without having to use Steam? The Source engine is OK, but if the licence means that it automatically has to be bundled with Steam, I would forget about any game using the Source engine. I would have bought HL2 if it didn't include Steam, or didn't force you to use it. As it stands I wont touch anything Valve produces with a forty foot pole...

I would have bought HL2 if it didn't include Steam, or didn't force you to use it. As it stands I wont touch anything Valve produces with a forty foot pole...

That's some real hate right there man. But I guess if you don't like FPSs you won't mind anyway. Me? I loved HL2.

I know what they are looking for. YOU are the one that linked Steam with engines in that quote I took. HoM&M could use Steam but that would have no bearing whatsoever on the engine.

HoMaM are with Starforce already. Or they can have Steam and Starforce and Steam at the same time? Danm, I'm planning ot buy that, but I really don't feel like putting both Steam and Starforce on my PC!

I very much hope so. It's the most anticipated game for me after playing the alpha. Can't wait for the demo... And the release... Anyone waiting for Heroes here?

It's just a coincidence that JPS will be using Source. But it's a great engine afaics so why not?

I merely stated that supposedly the new JPS game would be released via steam. No one is saying that DMoMaM will be released via steam, and the quote you took only highlighted the fact that I mentioned that DMoMaM was too far along imo to change engines, meaning Source. I completely understand that just because a game is developed using X valve engine that it doesn't have to have anything to do with steam..

But misunderstandings aside, I do really like the versitility of the source engine; I hope that the projects that are currently using it are going to make good use of it, as it can do some amazing things.

I think Dark Mod is making much better use of DooM 3 Engine than all Source projects combined! No one will change the engine!

At least, I hope so...

How much he was involved in actually designing any of those games, and how much he was involved in pen-pushing, delegating responsibility, and corporate lunches with publishers, is debatahle.

That's the job of a project lead. So you devs have all the time for actual developing. :) How I enjoy this, erm, ... I mean, it's hard work, no doubt about it.

Gerhard

You can always download a steam/starforce-free version if you hate it so much. If starforce gets on my nerves, i'll do that, but i''ll pay nival firts. Russian game, after all...

I think Dark Mod is making much better use of DooM 3 Engine than all Source projects combined! No one will change the engine!

The Dark Mod could not use Source even if it wanted to, since Source does not offer a proper dynamic lighting model for thief-like games.