The Dark Mod Forums

A Problem Existent In Past Thief Games

woah

I suspect Sparhawk is mocking Maximus for saying "gig" instead of ghz.

Apparently only Ishtvan got it, so I guess I have to explain it. :)

My response was

With a 2.3G processor you can't even install Doom 3 because it already needs about 3G for the base installation and then add another 0.5G for TDM.

Obviously it doesn't matter wether you have a 2.3 GHz CPU because for installation you need DISKSPACE and not CPU speed. So my G was refering to the harddisk size while Maximus G refered to his CPU speed, which are two totally different things. :)

Gerhard

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What use is a SLI video card, anyone tell me?

Radeon rulez!

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

With a 2.3G processor you can't even install Doom 3 because it already needs about 3G for the base installation and then add another 0.5G for TDM. :P

Actually that's true, IF you want to install the whole lot in under a second.

;)

Obviously it doesn't matter wether you have a 2.3 GHz CPU because for installation you need DISKSPACE and not CPU speed. So my G was refering to the harddisk size while Maximus G refered to his CPU speed, which are two totally different things.

Correct; and us not getting it is in reference to how poor the humour was :P

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

What use is a SLI video card, anyone tell me?

Radeon rulez!

SLI is a type of motherboard configuration that basically allows you to to hook up two of the same kind of video card to your system. It doesn't quite double the performance, but from my understanding it does increase it by a significant margin.

The problem, of course, is that you have to buy two of the *same* video card, which is really hard on your wallet. I have an SLI motherboard, but I'm only running it with one card right now. The idea is that I can add another card if I ever find that I need it, and by that time the price of the card that I'm running (the 7800 GT) will have dropped. It just lets me prolong the working life of my system.

From what I understand, though, SLI is Nvidia technology, and most SLI boards are optimized to work with Nvidia cards. I'm not sure that you could run Radeon cards in an SLI setup

(the 7800 GT)

O.o faaaaaaark

From what I understand, though, SLI is Nvidia technology, and most SLI boards are optimized to work with Nvidia cards. I'm not sure that you could run Radeon cards in an SLI setup

yeah, SLI is NVidia only

So I should be SLI capable if Im running an Nvidia 5200? It be great to just buy another one of those right now, Im paying off school and broke doesnt begin to describe my life.

You can't run an SLI setup unless you have an SLI capable motherboard. And if you're running a motherboard that's more than a year and a half old, chances are it's not SLI capable. So buying a second card is probably out of the question. Another thing you have to be sure of is what kind of video card your motherboard uses. Do you know if your board is AGP or PCI-express? Again, if it's an older board chances are it's AGP, so you'll probably want to go with an older card like the 6600 GT AGP or a Radeon. Most new motherboards use PCI-express, so I'm not even sure that you can find a card like the Nvidia 6800 that's AGP compatible. Radeon might be different, though, I don't know anything about it.

Well, that's why I asked. Looking at iXBT statistics, two NVidia best cards in SLI mode are higher than the most powerful Radeon alone, but NVidia is lower than Radeon otherwise. The problem is, buying two video cards for performance only slightly higher than a Radeon one is a waste of money in my opinion. Old motherboards and AGP is not a problem - no one has those anymore, at least in the DooM 3/Quake IV players area. But one card costs much enough, why buy two is the performance will fade away later anyway, why not get the Radeon?

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Well, that's why I asked. Looking at iXBT statistics, two NVidia best cards in SLI mode are higher than the most powerful Radeon alone, but NVidia is lower than Radeon otherwise. The problem is, buying two video cards for performance only slightly higher than a Radeon one is a waste of money in my opinion. Old motherboards and AGP is not a problem - no one has those anymore, at least in the DooM 3/Quake IV players area. But one card costs much enough, why buy two is the performance will fade away later anyway, why not get the Radeon?

The way I see it, SLI offers future expandability for my system. I agree with you in that there's no need at the moment to have two Nvidia cards, because there's no game that currently needs that much performance. But if I find myself needing more graphics power in the future, I can just buy a second 7800 GT, which by that time will have dropped in price considerably. Besides, I got my SLI board for free as part of a very sweet deal with a discounted 7800 GT, so there's no reason for me not to use it.

Old motherboards and AGP is not a problem - no one has those anymore, at least in the DooM 3/Quake IV players area.

Actually a great many people are still running AGP motherboards. Upgrading from AGP to PCI-E basically requires a new PC, and only a hardcore gamer is going to get a new PC just to upgrade their graphics card.

It is true that more or less all new PCs will come with PCI-E, but the majority of people running PCs in their homes will not have blisteringly new models.

I have a GeForce 7800 GTX and wow does it improve performance. I get very good FPS for Doom3, it is a shame that 64 bit isn't in use yet by games, but when it is I will be very happy.

Edited by AtariThief

I have a GeForce 7800 GTX and wow does it improve performance. I get very good FPS for Doom3, it is a shame that 64 bit isn't in use yet by games, but when it is I will be very happy.

FarCry uses 64 bit, doesn't it?

SeaBass%20Hale.png

SLI is a type of motherboard configuration that basically allows you to to hook up two of the same kind of video card to your system. It doesn't quite double the performance, but from my understanding it does increase it by a significant margin.

The problem, of course, is that you have to buy two of the *same* video card, which is really hard on your wallet. I have an SLI motherboard, but I'm only running it with one card right now. The idea is that I can add another card if I ever find that I need it, and by that time the price of the card that I'm running (the 7800 GT) will have dropped. It just lets me prolong the working life of my system.

Radeon has a similar product - Crossfire - which alows you to do the same thing... It is totally incompatible with SLI, and requires a special motherboard to support Crosfire, which not many do, and I personally steer clear of Radeon products because of their drivers... nVidia has really dumped a world of pain on Radeon with SLI, because they brought it out first, and Crossfire is not compatible with it - Radeon will definately lose market share to nVidia as a result.

SLI motherboards also allow you to use different, non SLI cards in a quad monitor set up, so you can have a pretty serious souround gaming thing going on with four monitors hooked up to two graphics cards. SLI mode only allows for a single monitor, and requires two identical graphics cards that support SLI to work.

There is a Gigabyte motherboard out with four PCIx16 slots that supports Quad SLI (sort of, I don't think it is working properly yet in SLI mode) that allows for up to TEN monitors to be hooked up, assuming your graphics cards have the requisite outputs...

Personally, SLI is superfluous and overly decadent for my current needs, so I'm gonna stick to a single graphics card set up for now...

Yes Farcry has a 64 bit creation, but not any really Extensive degree I'm looking for.

It will be years before there is anything that makes use of 64 bit capabilities. Very few applications need it, as the primary benifit of 64 bit processors is the ability to access more than 4 GB of RAM, and little else (a bit faster as they pump more data in parallel, but not significantly for most apps).

As far as I can tell, there is very little to gain by getting the 64bit version of FarCry over the 32 bit version. The 64bit version has some additional content (and you could just as easily have that content in the 32 bit version), but performance wise I doubt you could tell the difference.

Since for most people, even 4 GB of RAM would be considered luxurious and superfluous, not to mention expensive, it will be a very long time before 64 bit applications make an appearence. There is just no need at the moment, the market is too small.

I don't think you will see 64 bit apps and games becoming commonplace until 2009 - 2010, unless RAM prices drop dramatically, and Microsoft makes their next OS 64 bit only (and Vista comes in 32 bit and 64 bit versions, so that ain't gonna happen). Most linux distros are still 32 bit. Most computer applications (office, email, web browsing - what the vast majority of computers are used for) stopped requiring hardware upgrades in about 1998 - to do most computing, (barring multimedia content creation and games), all you need is the equivalent of a 500 MHz PIII with 256 MB RAM, which is why computer technology is starting to stagnate a bit - there is no compelling reason for non-gamers to upgrade either their software or hardware until their machines break down.

Long story short: don't hold your breath for 64 bit computing, it is a long, ong way from mainstream yet.

It's not over 4 GB of RAM that is important, it is over 4 GB of address space, so you can memory-map larger files, or have larger apertures for DMA/AGP/whatever.

You are right though it is totally superfluous for home computing, in fact it can quite easily slow things down as you have to deal with 8 byte integers rather than the usual 4

I agree regarding ATI's crappy drivers for Radeons, although I use the Omega Drivers which are a lot better (it solved a major problem I was having with Doom 3 crashing in full-screen game mode if I activated r_showtris on a complex map).