The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Is the black smut under the wood pieces a brush or a model? If it's a model, it could look a bit better if it was rounder than a hexagon. The textures fit very well, this would be a good replacement for the burnt-out fireplace in the bonehoard. :)

If it's a model, it could look a bit better if it was rounder than a hexagon.

or it would look even better with some alpha map to achieve rough edge between ashes and grass.

Is the black smut under the wood pieces a brush or a model? If it's a model, it could look a bit better if it was rounder than a hexagon.

It's a model. It looks ok with the other campfire model, but there's more logs so it isn't as obvious. The burnt out one probably does need to be rounder. :)

I've got a bunch more models I'm working on atm; I'll get them in game and then tweak later. :)

I've added another builder statuette. Combined with Dram's they now make a set with a variety of skins:

statuettes01.jpg

I've been studying some tutorials for Lightwave and I'm becoming more comfortable working with models. Made my first uvmap this week. :) Anyway, I'm working on a whole bunch of things. Here are a few new models made to match existing furniture sets--an empty shelf unit and some small display tables. Oh, and the streetlamp is a new variation of BT's city lamp.

models3.jpg

There's more to come...I've got about half a dozen other models on the go. :)

Nice tables!

I wouldn't mind doing a bit of modelling (if only for practice)... but I've got so much else to do. Better not.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, same here. Currently I'm absolutely not in programming mood, and would much rather do some modelling. :( Well, this is usually going in circles, and my programming cycle has been exhausted wuite extensively with this mod. :) Usually I have cycles where I program a lot, then play a lot or do modelling, while at the same time doing nothing much else then.

Gerhard

Nice furniture! I've noticed that we had just one type of each so the more variety the better.

Oh, and I really like that carpet. When I was designing my house-of-dreams I also wanted to have some grass in some rooms... ;):)

Very cool. Is there one UVMap tutorial in particular that you found particularly "good" or useful compared to the others? I've tried to find a good one before, but they all seemed to be pretty bad, imo. I just need a tutorial to simply take me from start to end, without a lot of fluff or missed steps, with screenshots that match my screen.

I remember trying this one (and others), but none have yet to successfully work for me:

Newtek Tutorial

Just curious if there was one tutorial that stood out for you.

I've been working on a few city signs. Here's a new shield-shaped one, along with a new simple sign hanger I made. There's also an anvil-shaped one for blacksmiths. Most signs at the time were pictures, so I didn't add any text to these--it also keeps them more versatile/generic. I made a bunch of skins for the shield-shaped one, as well as a blank one for mappers.

signs1.jpg

signs2.jpg

Nice work, guess that clears me of making a sheild style sign. Sorry, I've been working 60 hours a week, and in my off time just haven't got much done.

I had an idea, might as well share it. I was thinking about doing signs like the door hinges. It would be very easy to modify existing signs and for users to create new ones.

Basically just a wood sign with polys in front and back that an alpha map can be put on. Then the actual skins would just be the design and not the wood and design. The major drawback is not having the wood normals under the paint.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Basically just a wood sign with polys in front and back that an alpha map can be put on. Then the actual skins would just be the design and not the wood and design.

I'm not sure how well that would work. When I made the images to go on the signs, I had to use various levels of transparencies and overlay properties to get the wood to show through in a believable manner. I'm not sure we could do that with an alphablend without making the image fullbright.

It's an interesting idea, however, since then we could reuse the same images for multiple sign shapes.

I've been working on an attachable hood for a while. Here it is so far. I'm not entirely sure it works by itself. It might have to be combined with another model for the shoulder part to really look ok.

hood1.jpg

It also might look better if it matched the colour of the tunic, but that would require a lot of different skins.

It's actually not much taller than his head, but you're right, it has to be artificially large so that most heads can fit inside it. That's a limitation of the attachment system. B)

Perhaps it's possible to deliver several sizes of these hoods, so that it looks fine for the particularly small/large heads? I don't know how much work it was to achieve this one hood, so maybe I'm suggesting something which requires very much time.

Actually, it's not so much the size of the hood, it's where it is positioned. The offset values used in that shot were actually arrived at for a different head. Unfortunately, we can only specify the offset values by AI model, not by the attached head. You could make different prop entities for different heads, but that would get pretty confusing, I imagine.

Eee, freaky mask. :o:D

Something's been bothering me about the blue sign above, and I just realised what it is. It looks like it's been dyed (or colorized in Photoshop ;) ) rather than painted. If it was painted I wouldn't expect it to have the same bumps as wood does; you'd probably be able to see where the planks were, and the paint would have peeled off in some places to reveal the wood below, but the actual paint would be smoother.

It's the difference between wood covered with blue paint and blue wood. :)

I'm no texture artist so take this with a grain of salt, but it just looks weird to me.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, you're right. I wanted a very worn effect, where the paint has mostly come off of any high ridges, but that colour was too saturated for that. I've modified it an it looks better, though the normalmap could use some adjusting.