The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Here's a hanging version. I'm not sure I like the chains. They work for hanging chandeliers, but not so much when you get close to them.

This might be a good candidate for an AF setup eventually, so it swings when you put it out. In the meantime, I've separated it into two models with an origin at the top of the chain, so that if nothing else a mapper could probably set up some kind of func_pendulum movement when put out.

hanging_oil.jpg

func_pendulum is probably the way to go. the only benefit I can see to AF is that each chain could have physics. But adding phys models for chain could block water arrows too. plus, if there is only one joint per chain they will remain rigid anyway. Might as weel just be one piece. Probably needs a collision model just for the base (light part)

I think the chains are OK, what stands out to me is that the hook just seems too large for the lamp (in contrast especially to the chains).

But the hook is probably a good size for other stuff. We REALLY need that resize/collision thing fixed.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The size seems fine to me, but the hooks are separate models, so you could hang them from something else. I actually have a few variant hooks in the works, so I'll add a smaller version while I'm at it.

The size seems fine to me, but the hooks are separate models, so you could hang them from something else. I actually have a few variant hooks in the works, so I'll add a smaller version while I'm at it.

Very nice stuff, I especially like the new variants for indoor lighting :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Here are some new gaslamps. They're all variations on our existing one, but I tweaked them and added a brass skin so we could have a little more variety.

Clockwise from the top left: gaslamp02 with the brass skin, the existing original with the brass skin, gaslamp02 with the original pewter texture, and gaslamp03 in brass.

gaslamps.jpg

Shiny. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Here are some new gaslamps. They're all variations on our existing one, but I tweaked them and added a brass skin so we could have a little more variety.

Clockwise from the top left: gaslamp02 with the brass skin, the existing original with the brass skin, gaslamp02 with the original pewter texture, and gaslamp03 in brass.

Oooh shiny! :D Do these work now when you extinguish them? The one we had didn't and I couldn't figure out how to make it go "dark".

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I haven't made an unlit skin for them, but it would be pretty easy to do. I'm sure there's a way to swap skins when the light is extinguished.

I haven't made an unlit skin for them, but it would be pretty easy to do. I'm sure there's a way to swap skins when the light is extinguished.

Spring, it may be a better idea to do it via a shaderparm for fading effects. I've put on my todo list to make a FadeShaderParm function. We have a fade light function so I'm going to derive it from that.

Spring, it may be a better idea to do it via a shaderparm for fading effects. I've put on my todo list to make a FadeShaderParm function. We have a fade light function so I'm going to derive it from that.

It would be good if the model can be set up so that if you trigger it, it toggles between unlit/lit so that mappers can just link the lightsource to the model and be done. :)

(I have however, no idea how to do this)

Spring, it may be a better idea to do it via a shaderparm for fading effects.

Not quite sure what you mean. I don't think we want an actual "fade" if the light goes out instantly.

Here are a new batch of models. A scribe's desk, a lectern, a simple wooden shelf, and a standing oil lamp, with various skins.

lectern.jpg

shelf_standing.jpg

scribe_desk.jpg

Here are a new batch of models. A scribe's desk, a lectern, a simple wooden shelf, and a standing oil lamp, with various skins.

Very nice, will save tons of work making them from brushes :)

Btw, where ever lanterns with candles inside considered? A chandelier is fine for inside, where there is no wind, but in an entrance "hall", the candles would be blown out by the wind every time someone opened the front door - and using gas lights or electric lights would only be something for wealthy households.

But a simple lantern with transparent glass panes and a candle behind it could "solve" that issue, as it is cheaper than an electric light.

it could also be extinguishable by "frobbing" the lantern.

This would add some variation to our lighting and even play-style :)

But a simple lantern with transparent glass panes and a candle behind it could "solve" that issu

You can just use one of the regular lanterns and assume there is a candle inside lighting it up. I haven't been impressed with any fully transparent lanterns I've seen done.

You can just use one of the regular lanterns and assume there is a candle inside lighting it up. I haven't been impressed with any fully transparent lanterns I've seen done.

Hm, his isn't good, as the current lanterns look all like electrical ones, e.g. you can't distinguish them.

Not quite sure what you mean. I don't think we want an actual "fade" if the light goes out instantly.

By fade shader parm I mean that you can set the fade time also, which would mean that if the light goes out in 0.2 seconds, then you set the material to fade to dark in 0.2 seconds also. It's a much more clean effect then switching skins imo.

I'd been told before that the pauldrons on the citywatch couldn't be removed because there was nothing underneath. Checking the model itself, that didn't seem to be the case, so I did a few tests, and voila. I was able to "remove" the pauldrons by making that part of the texture transparent and adding an alpha stage to the material. Take away the pauldrons and remove the distinctive helmet, and suddenly the citywatch model can be used for all kinds of alternate professional guard types, and possibly some ragged houseguards as well (he's too buff for most regular townsfolk).

The uvmap for the citywatch is actually much easier to work with than the proguard model. I whipped this skin up in under ten minutes.

citywatchskin1.jpg

The only problem is that the shadowmesh has the citywatch helmet shape built into it, making the shadow inaccurate (small issue) and casting a noticeable shadow on the head (bigger issue). The shadowmesh head cannot be swapped to match other heads. I think it would probably be better to use just a default headshape in shadowmeshes to avoid this issue.

Hey, cool. :) The city watch guy is probably one of our best-working models at the moment (especially wrt anims), so it's great to be able to have variants of him that aren't immediately-obvious reskins.

Re: shadowmeshes: Is it possible to have two shadowmeshes in the model, and sometimes hide one of them with nodraw? So you'd have a body shadowmesh and a helmet shadowmesh, allowing correct shadows for helmeted AI and good "generic head" shadows for non-helmeted AI.

Minor issue I guess, nobody's probably going to notice if the helmet doesn't cast a shadow.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.